Why coronavirus incidents only on Princess ships?

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2020, 10:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts
Default Why coronavirus incidents only on Princess ships?

Given the number of cruise ships that use the same ports in many cases and I suspect the randomness of the mix of passengers would be similar.....why is it there have been only two ships, both of Princess cruise lines?

One ship having 21 cases, 19 of which are crew members?

Separate from why only Princess.....they have a defined population in a fixed identifiable location that can be analyzed and some conclusions reached.

Just a couple of aspects for additional discussion on a subject that is affecting us all here in TV......and most likely to become more so.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Coronavirus-contaminated cruise ships mirror the global crisis - The Verge

This might help explain things.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:24 AM
Sage

It's weird how these virus' seem to have cropped up in recent years on cruise ships. My other half and I have done several cruises in the past--mostly all in the '90's and early 2000's. The appeal is gone for us of late. Back when we did our cruises---one never heard of epidemics on board. IF folks got sick it was the sea-sickness variety, from which we escaped. Maybe the outbreaks now are due the the sizes of the ships and packing in more people. THAT'S the part that isn't appealing to us, so we're pretty much done with that now.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
It's weird how these virus' seem to have cropped up in recent years on cruise ships. My other half and I have done several cruises in the past--mostly all in the '90's and early 2000's. The appeal is gone for us of late. Back when we did our cruises---one never heard of epidemics on board. IF folks got sick it was the sea-sickness variety, from which we escaped. Maybe the outbreaks now are due the the sizes of the ships and packing in more people. THAT'S the part that isn't appealing to us, so we're pretty much done with that now.
That's an interesting hypothesis you propose. I can buy into it. When the ships were smaller there was a higher probability of the majority of passengers being from the local area. As the size of the ships grew the local population could not fill the ship and the cruise lines drew passengers from father away by offering airfare deals. Thus instead of having in essence a village made up of mostly locals and perhaps a few from within the country you have worldwide contingent that have come through every international airport on the planet to get on the ship.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Princess owns all the ships
Old 03-08-2020, 11:17 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

During the 2000s I took a lot of cruises. All my life from grade school onward if a respiratory bug went around I always got it soon and got it bad so I am extra careful about being in crowds. On a Cunard cruise I took through the Panama Canal we boarded in Acapulco. Several boarding passengers had been in town a few days and were quite ill, coughing deeply. Fortunately I had been able to buy an antibiotic at the Mexico City airport between flights "just in case". The bug was so bad several passengers never left their cabins; one had to be evacuated by helicopter. The CDC came on board to check things out; dining rules changed. Everyone at my dining room table got sick except for me. It was a ten day cruise; I had 20 pills. Every day from the get go I took two a day. They worked!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 03-08-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:41 PM

The reason Princess seems to be the only one with a problem is because they allowed some of their Staff to leave the Grand Princess and board the Royal Princess to work there. Now the Royal Cruise for this week is cancelled and The Regal princess is floating a few miles off Ft. Lauderdale while it is determined if they will go out for the week, or be cancelled as well. But! There are other Cruise lines who are dealing with the same problems, you just have to search them out. We are due to cruise on Princess 10 days from now. We've cancelled! Might as well give them a chance to figure it out and fix it before cruising again. We love Princess and will reschedule our trip when it's a bit safer!
Old 03-08-2020, 06:55 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

State Department: Amid coronavirus risk, Americans '''should not travel by cruise ship''' | Fox News

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-09-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Princess owns all the ships
Carnival owns Princess, Holland America, Seabourne, Cunard and several other cruise lines.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts
Smile we're taking a wait and see approach

We're scheduled to sail up Alaska's inside passage from Vancouver to Anchorage in mid July... it's on a Windstar ship (they only sail with 150 - 325 passengers)… we don't care for the huge ships

Our concern regarding this trip is intensified as we will spend a few days prior to flying up to Vancouver in Seattle and another night in Seattle on our return....Washington State has quite a few C-19 cases currently

We fly up via Alaska airlines...they won't waive any cancellation fees unless the CDC or FAA issue a warning about flying into Seattle/Washington State

However, for $1K in additional fees we can 'bank' the $3.6K worth of tickets we have with Alaska Air, albeit it all must be used (or committed to flights) within a year of cancelling or the 'bank' turns into a pumpkin

We always purchase the travel insurance, however I'm hearing that travel insurance doesn't cover 'buyer's remorse' cancellations around C-19

We've dealt with the same solo travel agent for years (and she is on this trip with us)...the travel industry has never had to deal with something quite like this before...it's all 'new territory' for them. The impact to the travel industry and all of the supporting/related businesses will have a huge impact on our overall economy

I'm not complaining...I'm just sharing

but, maybe it is time to get more gold coins
Old 03-09-2020, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We have known several villagers who in the last ten years have returned from cruises with a stomach virus.

It has always made me wonder what and where the petri dish is on cruise ships. Is it the water holding system, the pipes? Or is it just humans all in a small space.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:29 AM

No, they don’t. Carnival owns most lines.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

The very same cross section of passengers, crew and environment apply to all other cruise ships/companies.

Hence, the question continues to linger;
why is the reporting of cruise ship incidents, currently, limited to Princess' ships?
Old 03-09-2020, 10:32 AM

Chicken little...THE SKY IS FALLING...THE SKY IS FALLING. Run for the hills...hide now or die!

Panic is setting in with people raiding stores to buy toilet paper, face masks, gloves, etc!

yes this virus is killing people, the media is once again blowing things out of proportion. The death rate is approximately the same as the average flue.

2016, Ebola is going to kill us all! Run!

2009, the swine flu is going to kill us all! Same media panic, different year. Run!

Notice! If you are medically compromised do not go on a cruise, sporting events, mass gatherings and yes church until this passes away...yes it is going to pass as summer comes in...just like ALL other viruses.

Why Pricess only! What a false narrative! Princess CEO chose to be up front and put out press information. Dr Tarling, head of Medical for all Carnival Corporations ships has built by far the best medical practices on the water! Every X-ray taken on Princess, Carnival, Holland America, P&O Australia and Seaborne is sent to radiologist for over reads.

Just take a breath, be concerned if you have respiratory, liver or kidney medical problems. Take precautions not to get exposed.

My medical opinion only! I know I will receive “get him” post. I am a Army trained front line paramedic and Mash hospital trauma nurse.

Enjoy life!
Old 03-09-2020, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
Snip>>>
yes this virus is killing people, the media is once again blowing things out of proportion. The death rate is approximately the same as the average flue. <<<Snip
In what universe is a rate about 20 times higher than the average flu...considered "approximately the same?"

Unless, maybe by "flue," you meant to compare chimney's/exhaust vents?
Closed Thread

Tags
ships, princess, cruise, cases, reached

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.