Good News for My Nurse Friend.

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2017, 07:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts
Thumbs up Good News for My Nurse Friend.

Nurses shortage offers wealth of job options - The Villages Daily Sun: Villages

I hope she see this. She probably knows all about it though. Good luck with the job search. I am working on my stuff.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:46 PM
Sage

My second niece graduated with a BSN from a college in Wisconsin in May of last year. She landed a job at Univ. of Wisconsin Madison Hospital right after graduation and has worked there for the past 10 months. She just bought a single family house in Madison 2 weeks ago...at age 23. When I was 23 I was still sharing an apartment on the north side of Chicago with 3 other students.

My oldest niece will be finishing the Physicians Assistant's program at Duke University in 2 months...hopefully she will have a PA job lined up soon. She is tired of being a poor student. Anyone who needs a good PA just finishing her education at Duke, let me know .
Old 05-26-2017, 07:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
My second niece graduated with a BSN from a college in Wisconsin in May of last year. She landed a job at Univ. of Wisconsin Madison Hospital right after graduation and has worked there for the past 10 months. She just bought a single family house in Madison 2 weeks ago...at age 23. When I was 23 I was still sharing an apartment on the north side of Chicago with 3 other students.

My oldest niece will be finishing the Physicians Assistant's program at Duke University in 2 months...hopefully she will have a PA job lined up soon. She is tired of being a poor student. Anyone who needs a good PA just finishing her education at Duke, let me know .
Thanks for that information. My friend worked in nursing for 20 years or more some of it here in the Villages. She plans-- the last I heard-- to get back to work as a nurse and teach too. I wish her luck wherever her dreams take her.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

I totally agree with the need for nurses. Now how about the need for more doctors. It's hard for me to believe that in this great country we live in we have to import Potential doctors from other countries. Our med schools are primarily foreign-born students.. Please tell me is the AMA that strong a lobby to limit the doctors being qualified and going into practice. How many med schools do we have in this country and why do some of our students have to go offshore to become doctors. I just can't believe that only a very small percentage of our students in this country can qualify to go to med school. Something is wrong with the system.. Make more med schools. Make more doctors. Make more nurses.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:32 AM
Sage

If you are a competent nurse, you are pretty much guaranteed a job for life (at least that is what my niece told me).

My niece who is a nurse told me there are a few people in her graduating class who work as a "travel nurse." A travel nurse takes an assignment for 2 to 9 months working in a hospital, then they move on to their next assignment.

My niece said a couple of her friends from nursing school make $100K a year doing working as travel nurses, but of course you don't put down roots, are only in one place for a few months, etc. If you are in your 20's with no kids, it might be a good gig for a few years, especially if you like to see new places and have a lot of student loans to repay.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:39 AM
Gold member

There is apparently a shortage of nurses in TVRH. Is it because of lower salaries than elsewhere?
Old 05-27-2017, 11:59 AM
Sage

I have not spoken to my nurse friend for a few weeks. Sometimes she seems too busy to answer the phone; other times she picks up. This was one of my dog park friends whose dog got a little too aggressive and they were booted from the dog park. Loved talking to this lady though. So I do not see her almost every day like I did last year. I believe she wants to get out of the traffic of the Villages to a place where she does not have to worry about all the snow birds. She is not in her 20s though and has 20 years of nursing experience. She seems very competent from my talks with her about various issues and a nice but very strong woman. She speaks her mind.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 05-29-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:59 AM
Sage
Default RN Salaries Florida compared to all U.S.

According to Nursesalaryguide.net, the average salary for an RN in Florida is $29.70/hr, $61,780 per year.

The average salary for all RN's in the US are: $32.66/hr, $67,930 per year.

I don't know how current those figures are on this web site.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
According to Nursesalaryguide.net, the average salary for an RN in Florida is $29.70/hr, $61,780 per year.

The average salary for all RN's in the US are: $32.66/hr, $67,930 per year.

I don't know how current those figures are on this web site.
My friend has a two year degree so is a LPN as far as I know. She has been studying to get re-certified after taking care of family members and pets for a few years. She does have a lot of friends in the Villages who help her out too.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:55 PM
Default Nurse

[QUOTE=Taltarzac725;1403728]My friend has a two year degree so is a LPN as far as I know. She has been studying to get re-certified after taking care of family members and pets for a few years. She does have a lot of friends in the Villages who help her out too.[/QUO

If your friend has a two year degree shes most likely an RN. RN degrees are 2 or 4 years in duration. LPN programs are usually 12-18 months. Of course their are exceptions to everything.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=MarkinMd;1403822]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
My friend has a two year degree so is a LPN as far as I know. She has been studying to get re-certified after taking care of family members and pets for a few years. She does have a lot of friends in the Villages who help her out too.[/QUO

If your friend has a two year degree shes most likely an RN. RN degrees are 2 or 4 years in duration. LPN programs are usually 12-18 months. Of course their are exceptions to everything.
Thanks for that information.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:08 AM

As an R.N., I believe that until hospitals start staffing adequately, the shortage will continue. The nurse/patient ratio at many hospitals, and I have found the south to be the worst, is ridiculous!

It's very frustrating to work your tail off for 12 hours, and go home knowing you were not able to care for each patient adequately. This leads to early burn out and nurses seek jobs that are less stressful.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWoman View Post
As an R.N., I believe that until hospitals start staffing adequately, the shortage will continue. The nurse/patient ratio at many hospitals, and I have found the south to be the worst, is ridiculous!

It's very frustrating to work your tail off for 12 hours, and go home knowing you were not able to care for each patient adequately. This leads to early burn out and nurses seek jobs that are less stressful.
She seemed to think the same thing.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:05 AM
Sage

My nurse friend is from Louisville, KY by the way. Born here in FL but moved to KY when a little girl. I have run into many people from KY here in the Villages. I am a cheesehead who moved to Reno, Nevada until 1982 when I travelled to attend law school at Brigham Young U. Dropped out of law school after ten days and came back to Reno. Took some public speaking, business and other classes and went to the U of Denver to get a MA in Librarianship and Information Management in May of 1984. Worked for a big publishing company near Palo Alto, CA-- Ziff Davis-- abstracting local business magazines as well as indexing for Information Access Company (IAC)'s various library products. IAC was a subsidiary of Ziff-Davis. Returned to a different law school -- the U of MN-- in the late Summer of 1986. Graduated in May of 1989 while working for the U of MN Law Library. Started my effort to get practical materials into libraries for survivors/victims of crimes in January of 1991 but met very stiff resistance from law librarians and some attorneys but tried to recruit people in hundreds of professions in each US state to help with this movement. Did try to get back into the law librarianship profession but found I had burned all those bridges by speaking up based on my personal experiences with a murder on 2-24-1976 in Reno, Nevada of my then Earl Wooster HS English teacher Mrs. Barbara Mitchell's daughter Michelle. Her daughter Michelle Mitchell had been murdered on my BD of 2-24 in 1976. I had started looking for practical materials in libraries in Reno, Nevada to help my fellow Wooster HS students cope with this murder investigation. It was not "solved" until 1979. I had been earning eventually two BAs-- Philosophy and History-- from the University of Nevada, Reno while looking in any library I encountered for practical materials for survivors/victims of crimes.

Nurses have played a role in my work as they sometimes come into contact with people needing this kind of information. Victims of domestic violence, rape, sexual assault, etc. who come into the hospital especially those who have not reported these crimes yet. I have contacted nursing organizations about my efforts since 1992. Have also tried to get public health schools involved in this.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 06-02-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
My nurse friend is from Louisville, KY by the way. Born here in FL but moved to KY when a little girl. I have run into many people from KY here in the Villages. I am a cheesehead who moved to Reno, Nevada until 1982 when I travelled to attend law school at Brigham Young U. Dropped out of law school after ten days and came back to Reno. Took some public speaking, business and other classes and went to the U of Denver to get a MA in Librarianship and Information Management in May of 1984. Worked for a big a publishing company near Palo Alto, CA-- Ziff Davis-- abstracting local business magazines as well as indexing for Information Access Company (IAC)'s various library products. IAC was a subsidiary of Ziff-Davis. Returned to a different law school -- the U of MN-- in the late Summer of 1986. Graduated in May of 1989 while working for the U of MN Law Library. Started my effort to get practical materials into libraries for survivors/victims of crimes in January of 1991 but met very stiff resistance from law librarians and some attorneys but tried to recruit people in hundreds of professions in each US state to help with this movement. Did try to get back into the law librarianship profession but found I had burned all those bridges by speaking up based on my personal experiences with a murder on 2-24-1976 in Reno, Nevada of my then Earl Wooster HS English teacher Mrs. Barbara Mitchell. Her daughter Michelle Mitchell had been murdered on my BD of 2-24 in 1976. I had started looking for practical materials in libraries in Reno, Nevada to help my fellow Wooster HS students cope with this murder investigation. It was not "solved" until 1979. I had been earning eventually two BAs-- Philosophy and History-- from the University of Nevada, Reno while looking in any library I encountered for practical materials for survivors/victims of crimes.

Nurses have played a role in my work as they sometimes come into contact with people needing this kind of information. Victims of domestic violence, rape, sexual assault, etc. who come into the hospital especially those who have not reported these crimes yet. I have contacted nursing organizations about my efforts since 1992. Have also tried to get public health schools involved in this.
I had told this to a researcher/interviewer named Myra Young when I was subject #613 in a 17 week study of stress on the unemployed done by the University of California San Francisco Health Sciences Campus in late 1992-1993. She listened to me and looked at the many documents I showed her and when the study was done in mid-March of 1993 with all the blood samples and interviews done said that I had had a good cause.

I did have another nurse friend in Reno, Nevada from 1977-1983 who was born in 1900.
My nurse friend in Reno, Nevada-- Mildred J.,-- was a woman who needed a gardener, house cleaner, sometime chauffeur, dog bather, house sitter, etc. Her cop son would come around once in a while and tell me what was going on with various cases I had an interest in like Michelle Mitchell and the non-fatal stabbing of my fellow University of Nevada, Reno Philosophy Major Tom Snow around 1980. At least as far as he knew. Mildred shared various stories with me about nursing in Reno in the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 05-30-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
good, luck, search, job, nurse

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.