Google persistently attempts to invade our phones. How to make it stop?

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2019, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Gmail reads my emails and offers three reply suggestions. I find myself using this feature more than I should.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2019, 05:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,456 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Gmail reads my emails and offers three reply suggestions. I find myself using this feature more than I should.

It doesn't "read" them. Ugh this is why it's so hard to get older people to embrace things that exist to help them. Gmail isn't a person, or even a robot. It isn't reading anything. It's measuring binary code. When a set of binary code fits a set it has been programmed to recognize, it sends a signal back. In this case it's a "will you come to the party?" With the words you, party, and a question mark having the exact binary structure it needs to return a "looking forward to it, sorry not this time, or send more info."

It can update all your apps automatically without asking permission, IF you allow it to do that. It's a setting. But when you give it that permission, you're giving it permission to access all those apps. You also have to give all those apps permission to access your system. If you don't want to give it permission to access all your apps, then you'll have to manually update those apps every single time. That is true for apple and android, and for microsoft and linux. That is the nature of computers. They won't do anything you don't give them permission to do. And if you don't give them that permission, you'll be required to do it all yourself manually. You'd want to check for updates every week, if you choose to do it manually.

You can set it up for manual app updates. Or you can make it automatic. The only thing that isn't automatic, that there's no setting for, is when there's a firmware update (if Android itself updates, or if your phone has an update to the device itself). In those cases, it will ALWAYS ask you if you're ready for it, because it requires a reboot of the device. This happens maybe twice a year, at the most.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Check to see how my reply was sent. Then comment on how I keep up. Hint: SM-N960U.

Closed Thread

Tags
google, don’t, boomer, phone, play

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.