Google persistently attempts to invade our phones. How to make it stop?

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2019, 01:12 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts
Default Google persistently attempts to invade our phones. How to make it stop?

We are being aggravated constantly by texts on Mr. Boomer's cell from Google. I asked Mr. Boomer to write about the problem so I could post his explanation here where there are people who might know how to help us get rid of Google's constant dinging of Google's notifications.

Help! Please!

Thank you.
Boomer

The following is from Mr. Boomer:

I have an Android Samsung Galaxy S7 phone. I’ve been trying to limit Google’s intrusion into my life and apps by denying as many permissions as practical but some of these denials have unintended consequences.

As a matter of principle, I don’t think Google needs to access my contact list or my files or photos, among other things.

But Google thinks so.

Now my phone dings at all hours of the day and night to give me a “Google Play services error” and “Google Pay is having trouble with Google Play services. This app won’t work properly unless you allow Google Play services’ request to access the following: Contacts, Phone, SMS, Microphone.... To continue, open Settings, then Permissions, and allow all listed items."

I don’t use Google Pay. Don’t need it. Don’t want it. Google thinks I’m too dumb to know what I want. Maybe they’re right.

Google and Amazon already know more about me than the NSA and I’d like to reduce the amount of data they harvest by the hour. When I questioned a friend about his “Personal Invitation” for me to join Facebook and Instagram his response was “Huh?” Didn’t appreciate having his contact list harvested.

I understand, I think, that there’s some crosstalk between apps. When I want to go to Bob’s house and be mindful of traffic, I turn on GPS, go to my contact list and hit the location arrow under his name. This automatically brings up Google Maps where I touch the “Directions“ button and I’m on my way with not only directions, which I may not need, but traffic advisories which I do. And behold: I can give voice commands for many of these features. The ever-patient Google is always listening. Unless I want to turn it off.

Just because a feature is available doesn’t mean I want it. Or all the time.

Don’t know if Apple is as intrusive.

Does anyone understand the intricacies or consequences of selective permissions?
Old 06-25-2019, 06:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Easy...I don't and won't own one
Unlike people who do I have a life

I don't have cable either
Old 06-25-2019, 06:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

You have an Android phone. Android is a Google operating system. It requires that Google is functioning in a specific way. If you refuse to allow it to do so, it will continue sending you messages reminding you that it requires access. The entire phone is reliant on Google functioning the way Google wants it to function. If you want to use the camera, you NEED Google to access your camera. Otherwise, you'll get a notification saying Google needs to access your camera. It's a camera that relies on Android to function - and Android is a Google operating system.

Set your Google permissions to permit whatever they want permission to access. It'll stop sending you messages. Google is the only thing that MUST have all access, in order for your phone to function properly.

You can ALSO set Google Play and Updates to update manually. That has nothing to do with permissions. But if you do set your phone to update manually, you MUST remember to do that every week or some of your apps might stop working properly.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,706 Posts

Apple does the same. Always asks for your Apple ID, would like your finger print, your facial recognition, they plan for retina recognition next. I keep telling Apple I’m not working for NASA and don’t need such security. My level of security is the minimum. My husband and I share our phones the same way as the family TV much to Apple’s chagrin. They would like everyone on earth to have their very own personal safe secure phone from everyone except Apple, who would have information on you even the police isn’t allowed to have.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:00 PM

Boomer I am not dissing your choice of phones. I am only responding because you wondered if iOS (Apple’s operating system) was as intrusive. I have owned both Android and Apple phones. They both have their own strengths and weaknesses. I have now been using an iPhone for the last 7 or 8 years. I cannot remember an app or function that Apple required access to my contacts, microphone, etc. for the app to work properly. I have never had an instance that I felt iOS was intrusive.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,706 Posts

Apple doesn't ask permission for your contacts, photos, voice memos, your texts etc because they already have it when you back up your phone. Apple tracks everywhere you go, for your convenience incase 911 needs your location anytime etc etc All your information is on their computer, that is the iCloud.

Last edited by Velvet; 06-25-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:21 PM

I sent you a PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I had the Galaxy S7 Edge before changing to an Apple Phone. I believe that is the move to solve the problem. Even if you don't have Verizon, pretend you do and go into the store on 441 and look like you are going to upgrade your phone. Those young kids in there are just wonderful and will answer every question you just asked and will leave no doubt in the route you should take to solve your problems. I've been using Google as the search engine on my Apple Equipment but am switching back to the Total Apple Way as I know I will feel more secure. Sorry for your trouble. I know how you feel. PM me if you need a hand.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:37 PM
Soaring Parsley

Thank you to all who are offering help.

It is very much appreciated.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Apple is just as intrusive as Android is. It's just sneakier about it. Android actually requires that its apps ASK for your permission. Apple does not.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:19 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Apple is just as intrusive as Android is. It's just sneakier about it. Android actually requires that its apps ASK for your permission. Apple does not.
This is good to know because I had been thinking maybe we should go the iPhone route, but wondered if it would be just as aggravating, or even worse. Thank you.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
This is good to know because I had been thinking maybe we should go the iPhone route, but wondered if it would be just as aggravating, or even worse. Thank you.
Be careful. I have used both and I find Apple much more user friendly...and no more intrusive. You just need to get familiar with the settings, very important on any mobile device.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
No doubt that there is a little learning curve in getting accustomed to The Apple Way of doing things and if they are snooping which I trust Jazuela when she says they are, at least I don't feel the Violation the way I did with the Android system.

It works for me. The updates on Apple Equipment are the push of a couple of buttons, not the intense aggravation that non-tech savvy people such as me experience with all things Non-Apple. Try the Apple Boomer, you have a 14 day trial period to return the phones if you don't like them. Good Luck.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

For what my opinion is worth, I have had most systems over the years, and to my mind IPhone is best.
It never asks, just does whats needed to work, and that is all I ask of a phone.
Regarding security and personal data, every system seems to know what I do, where I go, even what I eat and drink, so WTH let'em get on with it and save me the trouble of making a decision.
Just ask Siri, she knows!
Old 06-26-2019, 09:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

All this is the price for the convenience of technology. If you want to have all the functions of a smart phone, then you will need to give up some control to the phone. An option would be to have a non-smart phone. Text, talk, and camera.
Closed Thread

Tags
google, don’t, boomer, phone, play

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.