Google persistently attempts to invade our phones.  How to make it stop?

Google persistently attempts to invade our phones. How to make it stop?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 06-26-2019, 12:19 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Apple is just as intrusive as Android is. It's just sneakier about it. Android actually requires that its apps ASK for your permission. Apple does not.
This is good to know because I had been thinking maybe we should go the iPhone route, but wondered if it would be just as aggravating, or even worse. Thank you.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
This is good to know because I had been thinking maybe we should go the iPhone route, but wondered if it would be just as aggravating, or even worse. Thank you.
Be careful. I have used both and I find Apple much more user friendly...and no more intrusive. You just need to get familiar with the settings, very important on any mobile device.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2019, 08:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
No doubt that there is a little learning curve in getting accustomed to The Apple Way of doing things and if they are snooping which I trust Jazuela when she says they are, at least I don't feel the Violation the way I did with the Android system.

It works for me. The updates on Apple Equipment are the push of a couple of buttons, not the intense aggravation that non-tech savvy people such as me experience with all things Non-Apple. Try the Apple Boomer, you have a 14 day trial period to return the phones if you don't like them. Good Luck.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:30 AM
Veteran member

For what my opinion is worth, I have had most systems over the years, and to my mind IPhone is best.
It never asks, just does whats needed to work, and that is all I ask of a phone.
Regarding security and personal data, every system seems to know what I do, where I go, even what I eat and drink, so WTH let'em get on with it and save me the trouble of making a decision.
Just ask Siri, she knows!
Old 06-26-2019, 09:32 AM
Veteran member

Location: Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Georgia, The Villages (St. James)

All this is the price for the convenience of technology. If you want to have all the functions of a smart phone, then you will need to give up some control to the phone. An option would be to have a non-smart phone. Text, talk, and camera.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:26 PM
Sage

Gmail reads my emails and offers three reply suggestions. I find myself using this feature more than I should.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2019, 05:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Gmail reads my emails and offers three reply suggestions. I find myself using this feature more than I should.

It doesn't "read" them. Ugh this is why it's so hard to get older people to embrace things that exist to help them. Gmail isn't a person, or even a robot. It isn't reading anything. It's measuring binary code. When a set of binary code fits a set it has been programmed to recognize, it sends a signal back. In this case it's a "will you come to the party?" With the words you, party, and a question mark having the exact binary structure it needs to return a "looking forward to it, sorry not this time, or send more info."

It can update all your apps automatically without asking permission, IF you allow it to do that. It's a setting. But when you give it that permission, you're giving it permission to access all those apps. You also have to give all those apps permission to access your system. If you don't want to give it permission to access all your apps, then you'll have to manually update those apps every single time. That is true for apple and android, and for microsoft and linux. That is the nature of computers. They won't do anything you don't give them permission to do. And if you don't give them that permission, you'll be required to do it all yourself manually. You'd want to check for updates every week, if you choose to do it manually.

You can set it up for manual app updates. Or you can make it automatic. The only thing that isn't automatic, that there's no setting for, is when there's a firmware update (if Android itself updates, or if your phone has an update to the device itself). In those cases, it will ALWAYS ask you if you're ready for it, because it requires a reboot of the device. This happens maybe twice a year, at the most.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:24 PM
Sage

Check to see how my reply was sent. Then comment on how I keep up. Hint: SM-N960U.

Tags
google, don’t, boomer, phone, play