Our first trip to The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Default Our first trip to The Villages

Me and Linda just booked our stay at TV. We rented a Villa and golf cart for a few days. From what we have read and seen on the tube you guys are having a lot of fun. In your opinion, what is a must see, must do? Of course I will take advantage of that free round of golf! Any insight that you can furnish in the next couple of weeks will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Frank & Linda
Paterson NJ, South Philly PA, Harriman NY, Point Pleasant Boro NJ,  Bindlach Germany,Point Pleasant Beach NJ, Seaside Park NJ, St. Petersburg FL, Murfreesboro TN                          Fuh-get about it!
Old 03-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Dancing Thyme
Default Re: Our first trip to The Villages

Linda and Francesco:

I'll be the first, as usual!!

First, another Linda?? OMG, we must have about 1000 Linda's on the board. But welcome Linda, another one is always welcomed.

You must go to Katie Belle's especially on Monday night. The show is fantastic. One warning, make a reservation well in advance. If you like to dance, you can go any night especially if Rocky and the Rollers are there. Another good show to see.

Have fun, will you be there around April 18? We have our monthly TOTV lunch at Crispers and you are welcome to attend. Let us know, and we'll give you directions, etc.

Welcome aboard. See ya in TV, Kathie

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 03-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Gold member

Of course check out the town centers (Spanish Springs to the north and Lake Sumter Landing off Morse Blvd south of CR-466). Take the golf cart and go exploring; look at rec centers, pools, golf courses, country clubs, and just get a feel for the different villages. There are differences from north of CR-466 to south of this road and then all the way south to CR-466A and the new areas being developed, and make a decision if you'd like to start up with new construction or a resale (good buys in both, but be conscious of closing costs and THE BOND that you'll hear more about). BTW, closing costs for the buyer on a resale are negligible. Good luck and welcome!
Old 03-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Veteran member

Look at this topic for some other Ideas, It should give you more that you will have time for.
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/sm....html#msg32929
Old 03-24-2008, 07:39 PM

No more closing costs on new construction. It is built into the price of the home, but the bond is something else. Don't understand how bonds in the new area keep increasing when they don't have to run gas lines anymore.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Gold member

:2cool: 040

We did the preview last year and were so busy we never got time to golf but still had a great time. Do go all over in the golf cart. Great way to see more things up close. We used all the dining coupons and brought back lots of left overs that we used later. It is a great experience and you will have a wonderful time.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 03-25-2008, 03:54 AM
Gold member

Didn't know they've done away with closing costs on new construction. Completely? Wow! Not surprised, though, that the bond is higher with each new village; everything cost more this year than last in terms of infrastructure, and it'll cost even more next year, I would suppose, even without the gas lines in particular....
Old 03-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Veteran member

Even if I golfed, I would not spend a lot of my limited stay playing golf.* There is too much else to become familiar with.* After looking around at all the popular fun stuff, some time in the town centers, some time in the club houses and the local community centers, I would do the following for the reasons indicated...

* Spend a few hours driving around the surrounding communities and countryside.* While you will spend the majority of your time INSIDE The Villages, you will want to venture out for the occasional necessity or Sunday drive.* Its nice to know "what's out there."* For example, I enjoy photography and trains.* I will want to venture out to Wildwood where there are lots of photo ops for shooting train scenes.

* Spend a couple of multi-hour sessions on your own (after a couple of sessions with a Villages realtor) to explore the new neighborhoods under construction.* A house that is half complete is not on the market yet (not "released") but will be completed within the next 30 to 60 days - and released.* Focus on the locations, views, orientation, models, features, etc. you would be most interested in.* Jot down the addresses and give them to your salesman.* Ask to let you know when they are released and what the price will be.* This will be useful info IF you are serious about locating here, and IF you prefer a new home.* This was our MO.

* We weren't thrilled with the rental golf carts. They are gas fueled (they don't rent electrics). They are noisy and have a strong exhaust smell. We turned ours back in after the first 15 minutes.

* Have joy along the way.* This is the whole purpose of our entire journey.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 03-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci
Even if I golfed, I would not spend a lot of my limited stay playing golf.
If I don't golf how am I going to learn how to play in bermuda rough? :joke: Early tee time - back by 1PM - rest of the day to do other things!
Old 03-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston
If I don't golf how am I going to learn how to play in bermuda rough? :joke: Early tee time - back by 1PM - rest of the day to do other things!
Russ - Not being a golfer, I didn't get the :joke: Being a tennis player, I did play during my last visit before we purchased. But at my age and condition, that only took 45 minutes out of my day - unlike golf. ;D
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 03-25-2008, 04:45 PM

Golf Cart a must of course and use it all the time. Everything is here but I think meeting the Villagers is the best thing. Pull your cart to the side of the path and many will stop to ask if you need help or direction(This never happens for where you come from). If you like a tree or flower in a year knock on their door and they will tell you all about it. We have everything here to make your life great but the most important thing is the very nices people live here and you can become one of us.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.