Governor kills high speed rail

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
for HS rail service?
It would be nice to see options that serve the needs of the people and not the politicians and their special interest supporters.

However, if I were Scott I would say OK, you want the HS rail project....show me the other programs to cut instead where the $3 billion ++ will be offset.

REMEMBER? The man is trying to respond to the fact there is no money for the project!!! What do the rest of you do when you don't have the money/ability to pay?

The federal government has to borrow 40 cents on the dollar to "give" FL $2.5 billion....like the politicians in Washington, way too many people don't care where the money comes from or whether we have it or not.

btk
BTK:

I have to agree with you. I always ran my house this way. If we don't have the money we don't need it and especially we don't borrow money to get it.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default btk

I'm probably going to kick myself, but I agree that if you've got the bucks, which the state of Fla. doesn't, then and only then SPEND.....BUT btk you must take a "be nice pill", I know in your heart of heart you are probably not near as MEAN as you come across on TOTV, Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
for HS rail service?
It would be nice to see options that serve the needs of the people and not the politicians and their special interest supporters.

However, if I were Scott I would say OK, you want the HS rail project....show me the other programs to cut instead where the $3 billion ++ will be offset.

REMEMBER? The man is trying to respond to the fact there is no money for the project!!! What do the rest of you do when you don't have the money/ability to pay?

The federal government has to borrow 40 cents on the dollar to "give" FL $2.5 billion....like the politicians in Washington, way too many people don't care where the money comes from or whether we have it or not.

btk

The HS train issue is a real time political football...cut costs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
but do not cut ANY costs that affect ME, MY STATE, MY SPECIAL INTERESTS, MY SUPPORTERS or MY JOBS...ala Bill Nelson...as well as all the rest.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

I t seems there is no real need - and it reminds me of the rail service in Miami - underused and downright dangerous to ride.

I am a HUGE fan of mass transit where it makes sense - here I just can't see it. Better spent to get transit from LGA and JFK into Manhattan.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:36 AM
Smile

We are all for the HS rail. It will bring jobs to Fl., promote tourism as well as removing some cars off the interstate. I don't see where all the fuss is about.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:47 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOJODO View Post
We are all for the HS rail. It will bring jobs to Fl., promote tourism as well as removing some cars off the interstate. I don't see where all the fuss is about.
Good question! You might find an answer to it by checking this website: http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-20-2011, 09:05 AM

Hs rail?it would be cheeper to fly,who will run this amtrac, as a former northeasterner the rail s are slow , did you know that frieght has the right of way good luck i say no abig waste of $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 02-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Good (IMO) blog on the rail from The Economist... It takes many of your opinions into consideration...

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulli...ottfloridarail
Old 02-25-2011, 01:35 PM

Just what we need! Another Amtrak to eat up the taxpayers money. Grant money for the construction is great, but the operating costs can't be covered.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbcu View Post
Hs rail?it would be cheeper to fly,who will run this amtrac, as a former northeasterner the rail s are slow , did you know that frieght has the right of way good luck i say no abig waste of $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Just noting that frieght has the right of way over passenger trains because frieght companies own most of the tracks in the United States. Again, I'm just noting that for informational purposes since I didn't see it mentioned previously.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 08-02-2012, 09:05 AM

let ny have it is there any passenger railroad that makes money?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:22 AM

"There isn't public transportation in this country that pays it's own way."

That's true.....but......properly planned and run, they more than pay for themselves many times over.New York City became the financial capital of the world because it was able to transport the hundreds of thousands of people it needed to run the financial services industry from the outer boroughs to the financial center quickly and cheaply. By investing in an extensive mass transit system, they created an environment in which millions of jobs were also created. In return, NY has for years been subsidizing other states, helping them to develop. For instance, for every dollar NY sends to Washington, it only gets back 79 cents. Florida, on the other hand receives a return of $1.02 for each dollar it sends to Washington.

We used to invest and plan for the long term in this country, it's a shame we don't do that anymore
Old 08-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Email Reported As Spam

It seems in every state that I have lived in some politician claimed high speed rail would cure that state's ills. and each and every time the taxpayers of that state voted it hands down. Americans like their cars. Americans like the suburbs. american like to travel on their vactions with family by car.
So why is it politicians like speed rail and taypayers do not? Its obviously a rhetorical question.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.