Grammer, punctuation and typographical errors.

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Veteran member
Default Grammer, punctuation and typographical errors.

I just re-read a post that I made earlier and edited to correct an error that I discovered i.e. your to you're. Does anybody else here edit posts like this? Am I an obsessive-compulsive? I think I'll over-eat tonight and a have an extra beer to compensate for this behavior. Like I need an excuse?
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 11-24-2007, 12:37 AM
Administrator
Default Re: Grammer, punctuation and typographical errors.

I do it. You wouldn't believe how long it takes me sometime to draft something for here or for my blog.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I try not to edit because i think people will figure it out, but i still do it occasionally, now in honor of John Z i'm going to go get abeer (and I'm not going to edit this post).
Old 11-24-2007, 02:10 AM
Eternal Member

I do the spell check 99% of the time. I hate typing errors. Then I add a line (or a word) and don't check and BAM I mistype.

Makes me look bad (and I am sorry when I do). :bow:

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:05 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

This little poem is called "Ode to the Spell Checker" and if I knew who wrote it, I would most certainly give credit. It has been floating around in my desk drawer for years.

Eye halve a spelling chequer,
It came with my pea sea,
It plainly marques for my revue,
Mist steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word,
And wait four it two say,
Weather I am wrong oar write,
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid,
It nose bee fore to long,
And eye can put the error rite,
Its rarely ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it,
I am sure your pleased to no.
Its letter perfect awl the weigh,
My chequer tolled me sew.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:58 PM

Love it. Thank you for sharing :#1:
Old 11-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Taltarzac

Great poem! :bigthumbsup:
Old 11-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Sage

I think the author's name is Curry

(for you longtime TOTV'ers, you'll know who I mean).
Old 11-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07
I think the author's name is Curry

(for you longtime TOTV'ers, you'll know who I mean).
Was not aware that Curry's posts were that consistent in their deliberate misspellings as in that funny poem? :dontknow:

Inside joke? :joke:
Old 11-24-2007, 02:33 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Until yesterday, I did not know that I could go back and edit posts.

Oh how I wish I did not have this information. I have been trying to abstain, restrain, refrain from going back through all the stuff I have written.

I, too, can be compulsive about proofreading, but no matter how hard I try, things get by me. I always feel like a typo that has gone to print is akin to appearing in public with spinach caught between my front teeth. But I know that most people don't worry about it. (typos not spinach)

I shared that little poem to make all of us feel better. To "air" is human. Right? (There are some of you who will know how much I had to agonize over using those quotation marks around that word in the last sentence. Should I have been more subtle? Was it like laughing at my own joke?) Oh dear, this is worse than trying to ferret out typos.

Since the beginning of this thread, my compulsive proofreading and my nice manners have been wrestling. But I can no longer keep quiet. I must add to the angst. Take a look at the typo in the subject line. OK, now it's out there. I can go on with my day. But I feel guilty for pointing it out. It seems rude to do so.

JohnZ, you write good stuff. Thank you.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: Grammar, punctuation and typographical errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
Until yesterday, I did not know that I could go back and edit posts.

Oh how I wish I did not have this information. I have been trying to abstain, restrain, refrain from going back through all the stuff I have written.

I, too, can be compulsive about proofreading, but no matter how hard I try, things get by me. I always feel like a typo that has gone to print is akin to appearing in public with spinach caught between my front teeth. But I know that most people don't worry about it. (typos not spinach)

I shared that little poem to make all of us feel better. To "air" is human. Right? (There are some of you who will know how much I had to agonize over using those quotation marks around that word in the last sentence. Should I have been more subtle? Was it like laughing at my own joke?) Oh dear, this is worse than trying to ferret out typos.

Since the beginning of this thread, my compulsive proofreading and my nice manners have been wrestling. But I can no longer keep quiet. I must add to the angst. Take a look at the typo in the subject line. OK, now it's out there. I can go on with my day. But I feel guilty for pointing it out. It seems rude to do so.

JohnZ, you write good stuff. Thank you.

JohnZ may even be driven to go back and fix grammer to grammar? :joke:
Old 11-24-2007, 03:39 PM

I recieved this message from a friend of mine after I had corrected her spelling in a email she sent to me.

I cluod not blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch sudty at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas thgouht slpeling was ipmorantt.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:02 PM

I forwarded the poem to my highschool mailing list and now everyone is typing like that. Sheesh--I m going crazy!!!!
Old 11-24-2007, 05:24 PM
Veteran member

Grammar? Oh yeah....son-of-a-gun. Good catch. Spell checker is for whimps. Or is it wimps? I'm resisting making the edits......reeesssissting.....reessisssting....arr ghhh!

Anyway, Boomer, thanks for the nice compliment about my writing.

I think that I've been exchanging e-mails and making posts online since 1984. Remember when blogs, forums and their precursor iso-forms were called bulletin boards?.

My first lab/office computer was a Compaq portable the size as suitcase and that weighed like it was filled with bricks.....trendy amber CRT, Intel 8088 CPU, 128K RAM, 4.77 MHz, 40MB hard card....I think my very cool boss sprung company bucks to the tune of $3,000 for it back then. Anyway, the rule way back then with respect to online communication was that ALL typos and other errors were to be forgiven and not to be pointed-out. I believe this is still the unwritten rule.

Later, at another company, I had the misfortune of having an anal-retentive boss who had an almost pathological trait of pointing-out (in not a nice way) every typo, error of verb tense, etc. This guy was sooo anal, if you stuck a lump of coal up his butt......you'd have a diamond in a week (stolen from Ferris Bueller's Day Off). We had to be eloquent, succinct and concise, first with every official external office correspondence......and then with all e-mails....even colleague to colleague. This ridgid procedure obsessed boss even developed a "Style-Guide" which set-forth the tone, tenor, flow and orgainization of our written work products. Failure to adhere to this guide was not a good thing. Later, this guide was extended to cover PowerPoint presentations. Woe unto you if you were standing in front of a group giving a presentation....and a breach of the "Guide" was discovered. It became such that style was more important than content. I lasted about 20 years in that environment. I sometimes fantasize about rolling that style-guide into a tight little tube and sticking it in his ear....so to speak....all 15 pages...no kidding. I still sometimes break into a cold sweat when I discover a typo or other error in my written work.

Now, where I work, I lead a team of very intelligent clincal scientists. For many of them, English is a second language. That, coupled with diligence of focusing on the "content" of their writing rather than style or clarity, exacerbates confustion in an already complicated workplace. I'm even thinking of developing a style-guide. God help me...<sigh> I'm turning into my old anal-retentive boss. But, I'm reesissting....reeesissting....arrgghh!!!

Well, this has turned-out to be a meatier post than I had intended. But, I like meaty posts. Doesn't everyone? For me, making posts is a good catharsis......sort of like Metamucil for the mind. Now that's a scary thought, huh?
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 11-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Veteran member

I discovered a typo in my post and I'm not going to edit. <sigh>...that feels good.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.