Great! - No More Robo Calls

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2016, 02:39 PM
Sage
Default Great! - No More Robo Calls

I installed it two weeks ago and it works great. My phone rings once and then the robo call is diverted and squashed. I haven't gotten up once to see who's calling me. I wait for the second ring. It's much better than the "do not call" registry, which stops nothing. IMHO

Find out how Nomorobo intercepts robocalls to your phone number. Nomorobo
1 is a free, third-party service that can reduce robocalls and automated telemarketing calls to your Phone home phone.
2 Nomorobo identifies incoming calls from known robocallers and hangs up the call before you answer.

Nomorobo may:
Stop calls from parties that ignore the National Do Not Call Registry.
Allow legitimate incoming automated calls, such as school closings or doctor’s appointment reminders.

Go to Stop robocalls and telemarketers with Nomorobo

The above text it there, along with instructions, on how to set it up.

This should really stop telemarketing calls that are are a PITA, for those who don't want to be bothered with nuisance calls.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-13-2016, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

Interesting, what's the price?
Old 08-13-2016, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

ah, I went to the website, $5 a month. I get a call a month, I'll answer it for $5 LOL
Old 08-13-2016, 02:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
Interesting, what's the price?
LANDLINE ONLY
Free protection for all of your VoIP landlines.
Free!

MOBILE & LANDLINE
Protect both your VoIP landlines and your smartphones.
$4.99/month

I only needed it for my home phone!

Last edited by 2BNTV; 08-13-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:31 PM

Free for land lines. Stops about 90% of unwanted calls. We love it.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We rarely if ever get a robo call on our voip anymore. My cell phone is another story. I'm even getting marketing calls that are using my own cell phone number as the caller ID number. First it was saying the calls were from ME. Then they were saying the calls were from a friend of mine, but giving my cell phone as the number calling.

I blocked my own number and haven't had a call since. I wish they would offer the cell phone nomorobo free. I'm sure that's not my last robo call.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

My S7 Verizon Cell Phone was hacked while in Miami last week. Terrible feeling considering I never used the internet on the phone while we were in South Florida. Verizon blamed it on Google, Google blamed it on Norton, the net is I was without a phone for 24 hours and now have zero faith in this expensive item. Should have stuck with the flip phone...live & learn. The good thing is since the phone is back on there are no more Robo Calls @ 10am & 2pm anymore.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I installed it two weeks ago and it works great. My phone rings once and then the robo call is diverted and squashed. I haven't gotten up once to see who's calling me. I wait for the second ring. It's much better than the "do not call" registry, which stops nothing. IMHO

Find out how Nomorobo intercepts robocalls to your phone number. Nomorobo
1 is a free, third-party service that can reduce robocalls and automated telemarketing calls to your Phone home phone.
2 Nomorobo identifies incoming calls from known robocallers and hangs up the call before you answer.

Nomorobo may:
Stop calls from parties that ignore the National Do Not Call Registry.
Allow legitimate incoming automated calls, such as school closings or doctor’s appointment reminders.

Go to Stop robocalls and telemarketers with Nomorobo

The above text it there, along with instructions, on how to set it up.

This should really stop telemarketing calls that are are a PITA, for those who don't want to be bothered with nuisance calls.
Joe, this is great information and thank you for making it available. Unfortunately, we are with Century Link and at this time they are not supporting NOMOROBO. Hopefully soon!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-13-2016, 06:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Joe, this is great information and thank you for making it available. Unfortunately, we are with Century Link and at this time they are not supporting NOMOROBO. Hopefully soon!
I switched from Centurylink to Vonage. It was cheaper and my phone line is clear as a bell. Nomorobo works with Vonage.

The DISH store on 441 adjacent to Walmart, sells Vonage. If you want, you can call Jennifer Peters at 352.553.4921.

Cost for Centurylink internet only is $52.80, (assuming you have the low speed, 1.5M, which works fine for me). You must buy a modem from them for $100 as the lease charge is 9.99 a month or the rate will be approximately $63 with tax. Need to buy one for myself as so far, my modem hasn't broken in 3 years, so it's cost me $300. 6DUH! If it's leased they replaced it for free but if you buy it, you need ten months before you break even.

Vonage is $18.05 per month for a year and then the rate increases. There is an initial charge of $35 for their equipment.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
...Cost for Centurylink internet only is $52.80, (assuming you have the low speed, 1.5M, which works fine for me). You must buy a modem from them for $100 as the lease charge is 9.99 a month or the rate will be approximately $63 with tax. Need to buy one for myself as so far, my modem hasn't broken in 3 years, so it's cost me $300. 6DUH! If it's leased they replaced it for free but if you buy it, you need ten months before you break even.
Is that $52.80 plus tax or is that the entire cost? I have Century Link and my plan is $59.99 for 10 mpbs internet plus home phone with unlimited long distance. With tax my bill averages $81 a month. It's the original plan I signed up with in July 2011, never had a price increase.

I also have no modem, they installed a internet and telephone wall jack in the kitchen side-by-side (the internet jack is slightly bigger) and I plug my router directly into the wall jack. They said I have fiber optic and didn't need a modem and no additional charges. I'm north north of 466A near Seabreeze Rec Center.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:05 PM

*72 works for me
Old 08-13-2016, 10:22 PM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaffmom View Post
*72 works for me
How does that work?
Old 08-13-2016, 10:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We rarely if ever get a robo call on our voip anymore. My cell phone is another story. I'm even getting marketing calls that are using my own cell phone number as the caller ID number. First it was saying the calls were from ME. Then they were saying the calls were from a friend of mine, but giving my cell phone as the number calling.

I blocked my own number and haven't had a call since. I wish they would offer the cell phone nomorobo free. I'm sure that's not my last robo call.
FYI, I use the "Hiya" app on my cell. It works, but it could be better. The app will block incoming "spam", however it has to "learn" the number first. If the call is already on my blocked list, my phone will ring once and the incoming call gets diverted. What I have found is that other (new) spam calls may come to my phone, but if I don't recognize the number I let it go. I then go back to Hiya and if the app indicates spam/telemarketers and other businesses, I add it to my block list. I see a lot of area code 313 codes (Detroit) on my phone and apparently most are about Florida time shares! lol. Overall I do get less spam calls, but it would be better if the app recognized the spam as it comes in and blocks it automatically. Still in all, it is a free app and it does block many calls.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Customer Service

Joe, what about customer service with Vonage? My dealings with Century Link Customer Service have always been immediate and excellent. I also like the fact that they have the three ways of connecting; i.e. Chat Line, Phone and Internet.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-14-2016, 01:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Is that $52.80 plus tax or is that the entire cost? I have Century Link and my plan is $59.99 for 10 mpbs internet plus home phone with unlimited long distance. With tax my bill averages $81 a month. It's the original plan I signed up with in July 2011, never had a price increase.

I also have no modem, they installed a internet and telephone wall jack in the kitchen side-by-side (the internet jack is slightly bigger) and I plug my router directly into the wall jack. They said I have fiber optic and didn't need a modem and no additional charges. I'm north north of 466A near Seabreeze Rec Center.
$ 52.80 if one bought their own modem from CenturyLink and $63 with tax, if modem is leased for 9.99 per month.
Cost of modem is $100. It would take about ten months to break even.

I am not the rep but I would say it's not worth it for you to change. My bill was $93 per month and I had several wiring problems that Century Link would charge a lot of money to just step inside one's home. The wiring problems were not CenturyLinks fault.

It seems they are treating you well so I would stay put.

Closed Thread

Tags
call, calls, nomorobo, phone, registry

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.