Griner freed - marine left behind

Closed Thread
Old 12-08-2022, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I would agree with you but she did commit the crime she was accused of.
do you really think the punishment fits the crime??
Old 12-08-2022, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I’m sure there are many TV residents that may have protested the war in Vietnam , maybe even a few that cheered when someone burned a flag during the protest. Would you be okay with one of those protesters being incarcerated in a penal colony for years for a minor crime .You want to criticize her for a expressing her feelings go ahead , but being ok with her spending years in a penal colony because of it is just wrong . You may not have liked her actions , but free speech and peaceful protests no matter how distasteful is one of the things I and many others fought for .
You have that right.

And I am not sure she had the intent to commit the crime but was a celebrity of sorts not paying close attention to her environment. Maybe her head was in her next basketball game.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
do you really think the punishment fits the crime??

It is not the US. They have their own laws.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Refused to stand for the Nation Anthem, is the least of her sins. She had a contract to play basketball in Russia, for at least the last 5-6 years and lived there for 6 months out of the year and got paid over $1,000,000/year. She was no "innocent American caught up in a Russian scam" .... she was as much a citizen of Russia, as she was of the USA.
in case you haven’t noticed lots and lots of people live and work in different countries there still citizens of there own countries, I don’t know how whatever your higher power feels about it ,but pretty sure it’s not a sin .I’m also pretty sure that a person should get paid whatever her or his skill is whatever they or there employer think they are worth
Old 12-08-2022, 11:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I would agree with you but she did commit the crime she was accused of.
yes she did , but do you really think the punishment fits the crime , or is this just people wanted her punished for her PEACEFUL PROTEST ,I’m headed for gym now I don’t think I’ll revisit this thread because I’m quite sure over the next few hours it’s sure to go way down hill lol
Old 12-08-2022, 11:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
She had a contract to play basketball in Russia, for at least the last 5-6 years and lived there for 6 months out of the year and got paid over $1,000,000/year.
She claimed she had to play in Russia because she couldn’t make enough money playing in the USA. Perhaps if she stood respectfully for the national anthem more fans would be willing to watch her play, generating more revenue and higher salaries for the players? Wonder if she’ll stand for the anthem now that our country bailed her out for breaking the law in Russia?
Old 12-08-2022, 11:58 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
You have that right.

And I am not sure she had the intent to commit the crime but was a celebrity of sorts not paying close attention to her environment. Maybe her head was in her next basketball game.
She had the intent. Every druggie keeps track of his/her stash!

I wonder if she picked up some Russian prison tattoos on her short stay.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 12-08-2022 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,348 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
You have that right.

Did you really mean to say “she had the intent”?
Old 12-08-2022, 12:17 PM
Veteran member

The movie "Lord of War" based on "Mr" Bout was made in 2005. If even included Bridget Moynahan (a Tom Brady ex).

https://screenrant.com/lord-war-movi...y-viktor-bout/
Old 12-08-2022, 12:23 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,030 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
I’m sure there are many TV residents that may have protested the war in Vietnam , maybe even a few that cheered when someone burned a flag during the protest. Would you be okay with one of those protesters being incarcerated in a penal colony for years for a minor crime .You want to criticize her for a expressing her feelings go ahead , but being ok with her spending years in a penal colony because of it is just wrong . You may not have liked her actions , but free speech and peaceful protests no matter how distasteful is one of the things I and many others fought for .
You apparently have missed the reason she was in prison. She didn't protest or believe she had the "right of free speech" in Russia, she was carrying DRUGS into the county. That's not a "minor crime" in Russia, as it should be in the USA, it's a MAJOR crime.

She got the right to protest and avail herself of all the rights and liberties she's entitled to in the USA, she has no right to break Russian laws and it shouldn't have been any concern of the U.S. Government, how Russia exercises it's sovereign right to enforce its laws and impose whatever sentence they deem appropriate.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:26 PM

Having traveled internationally quite a bit, I learned very early that every country has its own laws and customs. As a result, I walked the straight and narrow in everything I did - what I packed, how much I drank, not jay walking, etc.

I remember many years ago I had a bad cold in the Netherlands. Went into a pharmacy and asked for Sudafed. The horrified clerk looked at me and told me it was a dangerous drug. (This was when you could still buy it off the shelf in the US.) Added that to the list of things I didn’t pack.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 12-08-2022, 12:30 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,030 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
She claimed she had to play in Russia because she couldn’t make enough money playing in the USA. Perhaps if she stood respectfully for the national anthem more fans would be willing to watch her play, generating more revenue and higher salaries for the players? Wonder if she’ll stand for the anthem now that our country bailed her out for breaking the law in Russia?
Yeah, she had trouble earned enough money, playing in the USA.

She has a (3) year deal with the Phoenix Mercury, for $200,000/year.

She has a deal with Nike Sports, that pays her $1,000,000/year.

It's tough to get by on $1,200,000/year.

10 years ago, she was getting paid $600,000/year to play in China.

The woman is at the gates of poverty.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,010 Times in 5,317 Posts

Quote:
yes she did , but do you really think the punishment fits the crime , or is this just people wanted her punished for her PEACEFUL PROTEST ,I’m headed for gym now I don’t think I’ll revisit this thread because I’m quite sure over the next few hours it’s sure to go way down hill lol
The punishment was harsh but than again when one travels into a country such as Russia one should be very careful what you pack.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
I am happy she was released, and hope other American prisoners are released.
I'm not happy she was released. Because of her careless, self-serving behavior, she put our country in a ridiculous negotiating position. She owes the country big time.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:33 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,191 Times in 325 Posts

Not good. As usual we play right into the enemy’s hands.

Russia picks up her a week or so before the Ukraine invasion Trumped up charges or not. We have a world class really bad arms dealer from Russia in our system. So with all the woke pressure our admin makes the deal for a trade. And btw what else was given to Putin and Co?

So she comes back home and Russia gets their Kingpin Arms Dealer back there. Perfect timing for obtaining more horrible weapons to counterattack ours in Ukraine. More Ukrainians die and the war goes on snd we continue the nonstop treasury-draining in our poor country.

And Russia will pick up yet another innocent to use as a bargaining chip in the future.
Closed Thread

Tags
griner, whelan, freed, exchange, russian

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.