Grocery Behavior

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2020, 06:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts
Default Grocery Behavior

I've been doing the grocery shopping for 20 years...not a rookie at this....I get the etiquette and shop like a regular and conform to the new one way shopping traffic flows, I don't hoard...etc.

I've been going to the grocery store lately on the odd times to avoid the heavy traffic

this evening I'm waiting in produce to buy some zucchini watching this lady take her time as she handles every single damn zuke in the bin....after a while I finally said..."we're not suppose to be handling all of the veggies and fruit, you don't have gloves on, please take what you want and move one."....she turned to me and said "six feet please...and stop whining"....I replied "grow up and get with the new normal" ...

I wanted to say "hey, cupcake, give me any more of your friggin lip and I'll knock you into aisle 7 along with the guy you're with"...but I didn't (at best she was in her early 70's and certainly more than capable of knowing that in today's world you don't handle everything trying to figure out what you want to buy...come on, a zuke is a darn zuke)

what the heck is it with people that still think that it's okay handle every single piece of fruit or veggie or package of meat, and put it back and do the same thing with another until their inner voice tells them that this is the one... like they did in the pre-covid-19 days and for some reason they think that that's okay in today's world?

okay...take your best shots...and tell me how I infringed upon this sweet woman's shopping experience and how I aborted her freedom of choice...so that I can learn from this experience

Last edited by davem4616; 05-09-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I've been doing the grocery shopping for 20 years...not a rookie at this....I get the etiquette and shop like a regular and conform to the new one way shopping traffic flows, I don't hoard...etc.

I've been going to the grocery store lately on the odd times to avoid the heavy traffic

this evening I'm waiting in produce to buy some zucchini watching this lady take her time as she handles every single damn zuke in the bin....after a while I finally said..."we're not suppose to be handling all of the veggies and fruit, you don't have gloves on, please take what you want and move one."....she turned to me and said "six feet please...and stop whining"....I replied "grow up and get with the new normal" ...

I wanted to say "hey, cupcake, give me any more of your friggin lip and I'll knock you into aisle 7 along with the guy you're with"...but I didn't (at best she was in her early 70's and certainly more than capable of knowing that in today's world you don't handle everything trying to figure out what you want to buy...come on, a zuke is a darn zuke)

what the heck is it with people that still think that it's okay handle every single piece of fruit or veggie or package of meat, and put it back and do the same thing with another until their inner voice tells them that this is the one... like they did in the pre-covid-19 days and for some reason they think that that's okay in today's world?

okay...take your best shots...and tell me how I infringed upon this sweet woman's shopping experience and how I aborted her freedom of choice
You are right’
Old 05-09-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:

okay...take your best shots...and tell me how I infringed upon this sweet woman's shopping experience and how I aborted her freedom of choice...so that I can learn from this experience
Even before COVID-19, I always assumed people were doing horrible things to each fruit and vegetable & even the meats, so washed them when I got home. I lived in California for 22 years & out there washed them all with a little soapy water (and rinse) to get some of the pesticide off. If it makes you any more comfortable, you could do this. It only takes a couple minutes.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 05-09-2020, 08:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulat585 View Post
Even before COVID-19, I always assumed people were doing horrible things to each fruit and vegetable & even the meats, so washed them when I got home. I lived in California for 22 years & out there washed them all with a little soapy water (and rinse) to get some of the pesticide off. If it makes you any more comfortable, you could do this. It only takes a couple minutes.
Exactly. Not to mention how do you know someone before you hasn’t handled any item/food product you touch while shopping?
Old 05-09-2020, 08:09 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Silly supermarket behavior.
Steve
Old 05-09-2020, 08:09 PM

I wash my fruits & veggies in a vinegar/water mix. & rinse well.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

I am still not buying any fruits and vegetables that have to be served raw...except for head lettuce, that I can remove the outside layers first and discard them.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-10-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,467 Times in 3,092 Posts

I would've just asked her to pick faster. I don't care if she needs to touch every single one. I can wash, or not wash, a zucchini as needed. But I shouldn't have to stand there waiting for her to decide. If you can't select a zucchini among 50 of them within 30 seconds, then step back so someone else CAN - then you can return to your inspections.

I am a VERY impatient grocery shopper. I want everyone out of my way so I can barrel through. The only times I make a fuss, honestly, is when it comes to citrus fruits. I absolutely check around 5-10 of the nicest "looking" ones to see which of them is the heaviest. I learned years ago that if you pick the heaviest of 5 fruits of the same size, then you will have picked the juiciest.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:01 AM

And just how close to the lady were you. Six feet?
Also, why couldn't you just continue on your list and come back when the lady was finished. Because you wanted to do what you wanted to do when you wanted to do it. No sympathy for you.
I think you were out of line. JMO
Old 05-10-2020, 01:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

I would have said the same thing.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:46 AM

I suggest you buy only items in plastic bags. I bet she gets the vegetables she wants and she pays for.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:07 AM

Quote:

They are called, I can do whatever I want Villages Idiots!
Old 05-10-2020, 05:31 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:

You have drank the Kool-Aid. There is no new normal. For many of us we’re going to get back to the old normal and that includes handling zucchini. Even if that woman didn’t touch the zucchini there were probably 100 other people in the store that did through the day. The truth is you can’t hide from this virus. The more tests they do the more people they’re finding out had it which is actually a good thing. Mortality rate keeps dropping. I’m guessing you’re wearing a mask also which is pretty much useless except for it’s psychological value. Maybe you should have somebody else do your shopping for you. If you had said that to me you would’ve gotten a much more harsh answer than that Lady gave you. You’re not in charge!
Old 05-10-2020, 05:34 AM

Very pushy on your part. It was her turn to be there. Maybe you should control your behavior. To think of how you sound, get your stuff, get out of my way, I am more important than you. You need help.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:35 AM

I agree .... today I witnessed a guy pick up several packages of meat. He simply pick them up looked at them than put them down. I stood there watching him for 10 minutes handle every piece of meat. He finally looked at me and asked.... Im I in your way? I replied.... no I just can’t believe how stupid you are ..... you cannot figure out what’s in all those package your picking up. How dam selfish are you that you maybe contaminated everything you have touched and you don’t care. Pick a dam piece of meat out and move on....
Closed Thread

Tags
grocery, shopping, single, fruit, traffic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.