Grocery Behavior

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2020, 09:32 AM
Default Road Rage vs Zucchini Rage

One reply was right on. You have no idea how many others handled the zucchini, or squeezed a tomato or lemon, or put back a pepper due to a flaw, or Checked a melon, compared weights of oranges/ grapefruits or dumped half the grapes out of those ridiculously huge prebagged grapes.
You were way out of line. A simple, “ excuse me, I’d just like to grab a zucchini.” Would have been sufficient, then go home and wash it.
I hope it was just a bad day for you otherwise see about anti depressants which really curb anger/frustration issues. Seriously, it sounds like road rage only driving a grocery cart instead of a car..
Old 05-10-2020, 09:39 AM

When I worked at Food Fair, and then Pantry Pride, we always rotated the freshest produce to the back and bottom of the display. People were too lazy to reach and grabbed the first thing in front of them.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I've been doing the grocery shopping for 20 years...not a rookie at this....I get the etiquette and shop like a regular and conform to the new one way shopping traffic flows, I don't hoard...etc.

I've been going to the grocery store lately on the odd times to avoid the heavy traffic

this evening I'm waiting in produce to buy some zucchini watching this lady take her time as she handles every single damn zuke in the bin....after a while I finally said..."we're not suppose to be handling all of the veggies and fruit, you don't have gloves on, please take what you want and move one."....she turned to me and said "six feet please...and stop whining"....I replied "grow up and get with the new normal" ...

I wanted to say "hey, cupcake, give me any more of your friggin lip and I'll knock you into aisle 7 along with the guy you're with"...but I didn't (at best she was in her early 70's and certainly more than capable of knowing that in today's world you don't handle everything trying to figure out what you want to buy...come on, a zuke is a darn zuke)

what the heck is it with people that still think that it's okay handle every single piece of fruit or veggie or package of meat, and put it back and do the same thing with another until their inner voice tells them that this is the one... like they did in the pre-covid-19 days and for some reason they think that that's okay in today's world?

okay...take your best shots...and tell me how I infringed upon this sweet woman's shopping experience and how I aborted her freedom of choice...so that I can learn from this experience
I want to slap her silly! She's the type that does not give a rip what anyone thinks. I hope she reads your post- and mine.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:44 AM

I think everyone is on edge thanks to the confusion the Media...in my opinion has caused. Try to be kind. Read up on the real health benefit of wearing gloves. The grocery store etiquette I don't understand is should the "pets" riding around in carts wear masks and paw coverings? Hum
It's ALL crazy live on and try to smile at someone today🌞🇺🇲🇺🇲
Old 05-10-2020, 09:47 AM

You touch it, you buy it.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn70 View Post
You touch it, you buy it.
So you don’t test drive cars?
Old 05-10-2020, 10:00 AM

There is no, and was there never, any grocery store etiquette...can't tell the number of times someone's butt thumped me with a cart, stepped on a foot, reached over, stepped in front of me, stood in line with items on the 10 item express lane, can't figure out how to operate a scanner with an overflowing cart....yada yada yada.....
Old 05-10-2020, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Humans don't eat cars..I hope
Old 05-10-2020, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
I must’ve missed something. Is COVID 19 spread by eating food now?
Old 05-10-2020, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamelah View Post
One reply was right on. You have no idea how many others handled the zucchini, or squeezed a tomato or lemon, or put back a pepper due to a flaw, or Checked a melon, compared weights of oranges/ grapefruits or dumped half the grapes out of those ridiculously huge prebagged grapes.
You were way out of line. A simple, “ excuse me, I’d just like to grab a zucchini.” Would have been sufficient, then go home and wash it.
I hope it was just a bad day for you otherwise see about anti depressants which really curb anger/frustration issues. Seriously, it sounds like road rage only driving a grocery cart instead of a car..
I wonder if the produce section spray mist for freshness now has an added disinfectant ?.. Just a thought
Old 05-10-2020, 10:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Eating the virus won't infect you. Your stomach enzymes kill it.

You are more likely to get salmonella from a head of lettuce.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadaboutgal View Post
And just how close to the lady were you. Six feet?
Also, why couldn't you just continue on your list and come back when the lady was finished. Because you wanted to do what you wanted to do when you wanted to do it. No sympathy for you.
I think you were out of line. JMO
no need to be so mean; i can understand his point. yes, i'm glad he didnt say to knock her one, lol, but you must admit that shopping is an act of patience these days. some have NO consideration of others @ all, regardless of the circumstances, & i TRY to be the nicer person. i try, lol
Old 05-10-2020, 11:03 AM

Not Villages Idiots, these are the folk with attitude and entitlement.. they are everywhere.. For those of us who obey the rules its tough...........
Old 05-10-2020, 11:04 AM
Michael Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
The "gloves thing" as you so elegantly put it, is to protect ME, not you. My hands are encased in gloves, when I leave the store I roll them off inside out and discard them, my hands are germ free.
I agree. I put my groceries in coolers and big totes in my car then I remove the gloves like you, then I go back inside and wash my hands just in case. Once at home I wipe everything down and/or wash them Those extra steps make me feel good and also pretty much ensure that I don't pass anything along to my wife who's health situation is in a very compromised condition.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devorejh View Post
You have drank the Kool-Aid. There is no new normal. For many of us we’re going to get back to the old normal and that includes handling zucchini. Even if that woman didn’t touch the zucchini there were probably 100 other people in the store that did through the day. The truth is you can’t hide from this virus. The more tests they do the more people they’re finding out had it which is actually a good thing. Mortality rate keeps dropping. I’m guessing you’re wearing a mask also which is pretty much useless except for it’s psychological value. Maybe you should have somebody else do your shopping for you. If you had said that to me you would’ve gotten a much more harsh answer than that Lady gave you. You’re not in charge!
If you think the old normal is ever coming back, I fear you are in for disappointment. If this pandemic has done nothing else it has deepened the schism between the self centered and the community centered. Consideration and accommodation is the path I am on. You must choose your own path.
Closed Thread

Tags
grocery, shopping, single, fruit, traffic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.