Grocery Behavior

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnadamsUSMC View Post
LOVE THAT COMMENT BUT WAS AFRAID TO SAY IT
In my opinion, we do have a lot of people that use old age as an excuse to be rude.
1. No, you cannot sit at a traffic light for 15 seconds after it changes to green
2. No, you can't be rude to others
3. No, you can't have the salad for free when it says $3.95 extra with a meal
4. No, you can't have your other diners get a salad for you. You didn't pay for it
5. No, you can't stay in the "passing" lane and drive 30 MPH
6. No, rolling stops (or no stop) are not allowed at stop signs
7. No, you can't drink excessively and drive. (we've been hit three times already)
8. No, you can't tell a police officer you've been driving before he was even born after you get stopped for speeding
9. No, you can't order more dinner rolls and stuff them all in your pocket or purse
10. No, you can't buy folding tables and chairs, use them for your party, then return them

As you can see, I love talking to others and sharing what goes on in the Villages
Do we have a lot of great people, WE SURE DO.
Well crappola what's the point of getting old then? I thought once you turned 60 and got your grouch card in the mail (AARP) you got a free pass on ALL these things, plus a few more.. SIGH!!
Old 05-11-2020, 09:02 AM

Probably not the worst those Zuks have seen. Save yourself the stress and drama. Here is a recipe for cleaning fruits and veggies. Serenity now! ;-)

How To Wash Vegetables with Baking Soda and Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I've been doing the grocery shopping for 20 years...not a rookie at this....I get the etiquette and shop like a regular and conform to the new one way shopping traffic flows, I don't hoard...etc.

I've been going to the grocery store lately on the odd times to avoid the heavy traffic

this evening I'm waiting in produce to buy some zucchini watching this lady take her time as she handles every single damn zuke in the bin....after a while I finally said..."we're not suppose to be handling all of the veggies and fruit, you don't have gloves on, please take what you want and move one."....she turned to me and said "six feet please...and stop whining"....I replied "grow up and get with the new normal" ...

I wanted to say "hey, cupcake, give me any more of your friggin lip and I'll knock you into aisle 7 along with the guy you're with"...but I didn't (at best she was in her early 70's and certainly more than capable of knowing that in today's world you don't handle everything trying to figure out what you want to buy...come on, a zuke is a darn zuke)

what the heck is it with people that still think that it's okay handle every single piece of fruit or veggie or package of meat, and put it back and do the same thing with another until their inner voice tells them that this is the one... like they did in the pre-covid-19 days and for some reason they think that that's okay in today's world?

okay...take your best shots...and tell me how I infringed upon this sweet woman's shopping experience and how I aborted her freedom of choice...so that I can learn from this experience
Old 05-11-2020, 10:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Grocery stores should enforce mandatory masks . In Publix a few days ago and about 25% no masks. Stop them at the door!!!
Old 05-11-2020, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy View Post
As a 16 yo high school junior in NJ, my first job was at an Acme supermarket at $1.15@hr. The middle-aged produce manager, his name I will never forget, Bob Higgins, told me that you can tell a lot about a woman by the way she picks up a cucumber (zucchini). So when I see a woman as you described, it brings fond memories. Perhaps, instead of grousing at her, you could’ve complimented her style.
Wow, what high paying job! When I was in freshman high school Going pay in grocery store in my Smallllll town was 60 cent hour. Would be considered child slave labor now days. But In Early 60s some of kids was glad to get it.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Grocery stores should enforce mandatory masks . In Publix a few days ago and about 25% no masks. Stop them at the door!!!
I agree, I brought up that on post and got crucified. You think it’s bad there, when to ace hardware this morning and it was packed. Hard enough to get isles at ace anyway let alone being packed with people. Most had masks.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Grocery Behavior??????

For the most part, I find my groceries are quite well behaved. Artichokes and pineapples might be the exception
Old 05-11-2020, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
We've already seen one thread about one guy who couldn't control his temper and screamed vulgarities loudly enough to be heard across the store. That was right here at the Villages.

We've seen "that online newspaper" giving us push-by-shove descriptions of police reports of violence against, and by, store employees out of anger, over the past few years.

There has been at least one incident so far of a man shooting and killing a store employee for having the nerve to require that the man wear a mask. That was not in the Villages - but it did happen recently.

Many Villagers are proud owners of firearms, sport their NRA bumper stickers on their cars and golf carts, and even come here to this forum declaring on no uncertain terms that they will use their firearms to protect their freedoms if and whenever necessary.

I for one do NOT want to be the person at the supermarket ordering some twitchy old geezer with an eager trigger finger, carrying his glock in his side holster, to wear a mask or get out of my store.

If it's that important to you, then go ahead and open up your own store and enforce your rules however you see fit. Let me know which store it is so I know at which store to never apply for a job.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iht2209 View Post
I agree .... today I witnessed a guy pick up several packages of meat. He simply pick them up looked at them than put them down. I stood there watching him for 10 minutes handle every piece of meat. He finally looked at me and asked.... Im I in your way? I replied.... no I just can’t believe how stupid you are ..... you cannot figure out what’s in all those package your picking up. How dam selfish are you that you maybe contaminated everything you have touched and you don’t care. Pick a dam piece of meat out and move on....
Depending on what it was, not all meat is created equal. The packages are also stacked, so it might have had to do with cost. We cannot possibly know anyone's situation except our own. These days, lots of patience is in order. JMHO
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 05-11-2020, 02:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklcoger View Post
Sounds like common sense not to touch everything especially in these times, except for the gloves. Once you touch your nose or mouth with your gloves on (and inevitably you will) they too will be contaminated. Best to wash you fruits and veggies when you get home.
Did we not all wash our fruits and veggies prior to this? What am I missing?
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
Old 05-11-2020, 02:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
So you wash your hands and THEN touch all those groceries that dozens - if not hundreds - of other people have touched.

And you're not seeing how that defeats the purpose?

Honestly - don't obsess about cleaning your groceries, and don't believe for one second that you are protecting yourself from anything by washing your hands BEFORE touching all that stuff.

You're more likely to find e.coli on the hem of your pants than you are to find COVID-19 on your rutebega or can of soup.
Exactly. Where was all this concern when we were having the big outbreak of Hep A in this area? You DO know how that's spread?
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
Old 05-11-2020, 02:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn70 View Post
You touch it, you buy it.
So you get it home and it's not good. Then what? Not everyone can afford to toss food. It's not like nobody else has touched the produce....pickers, packers, stockers, checkers, other customers, etc., anyway.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
Old 05-11-2020, 02:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafDeaf View Post
I do observe their poor habits of touching all veggies, fruits, and canned foods, too. What I did is when I got home, I dipped each item in the pail of water with bleach inside the garage, and then bring cleaned items inside the house. Better be safe than nothing!

Just curious...have you always done this, or just now?
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
Old 05-16-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn70 View Post
You touch it, you buy it.
I think too many are obsessing about food cleanliness while overlooking that our fruits and vegetables grow outside where Lots of critters like birds, mice, rabbits and lots of insects and worms coexist with them. Root crops like potatoes, onions, carrots grow in dirt which is full of microbes and, um, Poop ...so how is it that a customer touching a zucchini is causing harm? Don’t you wash your food (and your hands) before eating it? COVID-19 is just one of a bazillion pathogens, you know?

Last edited by ALadysMom; 05-16-2020 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Poop sounds better than ????
Old 05-16-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woderfulwendy1 View Post
I suggest you buy only items in plastic bags...
And how do you think the items got into the plastic bags?

This virus has infected our sense of common decency and usurped our common sense, too.
Closed Thread

Tags
grocery, shopping, single, fruit, traffic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.