Grrand Oaks Resort and Equestrian Centre

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2019, 03:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,456 Times in 3,087 Posts
Default Grrand Oaks Resort and Equestrian Centre

EDIT: It's called Grand Oaks, not Great Oaks!

Are there folks who attend events at this place? I was driving aimlessly (best way to find out what's interesting in the area is to intentionally get lost) last week and followed signs to it. I figured it'd be neat to see a museum.

Museum is closed, but it turned out to be this ENORMOUS resort/rv park/equestrian center, and I had driven in, in the middle of a bunch of events.

Horses everywhere, it looked like it was a dressage event. But this wasn't just one ring, it was several acres of rings, plus stables and cottages and a restaurant and just truly amazing.

I didn't stay to watch, and had to ask someone to help me figure out how to get out since all the roads seemed to be one way going in different directions.

Is this a "destination spot" for Villagers to attend? Spectators are admitted free, and it's right off Griffin Road.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

They have dog agility trials that I attend.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
EDIT: It's called Grand Oaks, not Great Oaks!

Are there folks who attend events at this place? I was driving aimlessly (best way to find out what's interesting in the area is to intentionally get lost) last week and followed signs to it. I figured it'd be neat to see a museum.

Museum is closed, but it turned out to be this ENORMOUS resort/rv park/equestrian center, and I had driven in, in the middle of a bunch of events.

Horses everywhere, it looked like it was a dressage event. But this wasn't just one ring, it was several acres of rings, plus stables and cottages and a restaurant and just truly amazing.

I didn't stay to watch, and had to ask someone to help me figure out how to get out since all the roads seemed to be one way going in different directions.

Is this a "destination spot" for Villagers to attend? Spectators are admitted free, and it's right off Griffin Road.
They have mostly equine activities, however, they have golf, Pickleball, dog agility events plus others. If you pull up their web site they have quite a calendar of events.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

We have been to several events, great venue plus food at the Bistro is enjoyable. I think they are re purposing the museum to Automobiles. The owner of the museum is getting up in years and I have been told she wants to find good homes for the carriages....not sure how accurate that last part is.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-25-2019, 09:03 PM
Sage

Thanks all! I think this will make for a pretty fun afternoon with the spouse on occasion. Lunch and "watching people ride horses and do cool things on them." Maybe I'll take a lesson; I can't post/trot, and I always have trouble slowing down from a canter and gallop. That's what I get for having my first experience on a horse when I was already an adult, on a retired Thoroughbred, with an English jumping saddle, riding through a trail in Danbury. Running Obie over the haystacks was a blast but he wasn't meant for slow movement. He was bred to fly!
Old 11-25-2019, 09:22 PM

They also have a campground on the hill. Beautiful view .
Old 11-26-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Thanks all! I think this will make for a pretty fun afternoon with the spouse on occasion. Lunch and "watching people ride horses and do cool things on them." Maybe I'll take a lesson; I can't post/trot, and I always have trouble slowing down from a canter and gallop. That's what I get for having my first experience on a horse when I was already an adult, on a retired Thoroughbred, with an English jumping saddle, riding through a trail in Danbury. Running Obie over the haystacks was a blast but he wasn't meant for slow movement. He was bred to fly!
You might consider their driving lessons. It’s much easier on older bones and muscles. Their driving horses are thoroughly trained. Whatever you do, horses will stimulate happiness.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:17 AM

I am registered as a volunteer at Grand Oaks and often help out at their events. Several years now, I help with Special Olympics and last week with the Horse Trials. I was training as a judge for the X-Country jumping trials. They are in need of more volunteers.
I also attend events. I love watching the dog agility events. Yes, it is open to the public, is only 20 minutes from my home in TV, and is free to attend. You can sign up for emails. They also have FB page where you can find out schedule of events.
It is a resort so you can rent cabins, hold weddings, and rent RV spaces.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:11 PM

We go there every year. Great cafe for lunch too!
Old 11-27-2019, 05:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmeadow View Post
You might consider their driving lessons. It’s much easier on older bones and muscles. Their driving horses are thoroughly trained. Whatever you do, horses will stimulate happiness.
Heh no thanks, no interest in being in a carriage behind a horse. I like being ON them. But yes they do stimulate happiness!
Old 11-27-2019, 09:46 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

I went to their web page and did not find any dog agility trials listed in as far ahead as they advertise. Does anyone have other information? We would like to watch when they do it again.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Closed Thread

Tags
museum, attend, events, stay, watch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.