Guess I don’t know what a political post is.

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2020, 03:26 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach
Default Guess I don’t know what a political post is.

SITE RULES NOTICE
REMINDER: NO POLITICAL REFERENCES ARE ALLOWED. DO NOT DIRECT YOUR COMMENTS TOWARD ANOTHER USER. VIOLATION OF THE SITE RULES COULD LEAD TO INFRACTIONS ISSUED ON YOUR ACCOUNT AND PERMANENT BANS.

Seems to me there are several “political” posts on today’s first page.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
SITE RULES NOTICE
REMINDER: NO POLITICAL REFERENCES ARE ALLOWED. DO NOT DIRECT YOUR COMMENTS TOWARD ANOTHER USER. VIOLATION OF THE SITE RULES COULD LEAD TO INFRACTIONS ISSUED ON YOUR ACCOUNT AND PERMANENT BANS.

Seems to me there are several “political” posts on today’s first page.
It is kind of difficult to avoid such discussions. Nearly 100% of current news today is political in nature, even sports. I can not fathom posting in the "Non Villages Discussions" or "News and Current Events" forums without it turning into a political discussion.

I don't envy the moderators who have to keep our discussions "legal" according to the rules of this forum. It must be a very difficult job and I applaud them for their hard work.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:06 PM

Perhaps there should be a "Politics" section that the mods can move discussions to when they turn political.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRAY View Post
Perhaps there should be a "Politics" section that the mods can move discussions to when they turn political.
We had a political forum which was closed then brought back then closed again. The mods couldn’t keep up with the vitriol.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
It is kind of difficult to avoid such discussions. Nearly 100% of current news today is political in nature, even sports. I can not fathom posting in the "Non Villages Discussions" or "News and Current Events" forums without it turning into a political discussion.

I don't envy the moderators who have to keep our discussions "legal" according to the rules of this forum. It must be a very difficult job and I applaud them for their hard work.
I’ve been on this forum fo almost eleven years. For many years I spent some time every day perusing and posting. The site was, in general, light hearted, positive, and informative. Much like the country as a whole it has become combative, nasty, divisive, and uninteresting. I come on here fairly seldom anymore, as I love TV and things of specific interest to The Villages and Villagers, but find less and less of that these days.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
We had a political forum which was closed then brought back then closed again. The mods couldn’t keep up with the vitriol.
IMHO, TOTV should have a political forum. Enter at your own risk and let the vitriol fly. Why not? Moderators need not bother to monitor. You do not have to enter if you don't want to.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
IMHO, TOTV should have a political forum. Enter at your own risk and let the vitriol fly. Why not? Moderators need not bother to monitor. You do not have to enter if you don't want to.
I second the motion!!
Old 09-14-2020, 05:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
I’m okay with that.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,472 Times in 3,096 Posts

Quote:
I disagree, for the reasons I recall existed when there used to be a political forum. As I understand it, people started getting personal and threats were made.

Also, I disagree because we are humans. We are curious creatures. We are the species that will slow down when we're driving past a horrendous 5-car pileup on the highway, just to see if we can see anyone dead on the ground. Not because we actually care - but because we have that morbid curiosity. Other species don't do that.

As a species with morbid curiosity, it's inevitable that some of us will wander into a political forum just to see what it looks like in there. Sadly - you can't UNread a post.

There are new forum members all the time, and some of them might think "hey - Seniors, how bad can it possibly be? We're all adults here." They would be horribly wrong. But they wouldn't know that until they saw for themselves. And then - it would be too late.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:06 PM
TOTV Moderator

Moderation is a volunteer duty...we are not on duty 24/7. So, posts that violate site rules may be visible for many hours til we can get in and clean them up.

We established the Current Events and News subforum to allow members to discuss important topics of today, as long as the discussion can remain civil, non political, and non partisan. We also provided the ability for any member to hide this section if they prefer not to see it.

Unmoderated political forum has been tried and stopped several times. It devolves into absolute ugliness that reflects poorly on TOTV and eventually spills over into the regular forums.

I hope this answers your questions.

Thread closed.

Closed Thread

Tags
political, site, rules, guess, lead

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.