Guns in Schools

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2019, 08:32 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
I'll vote no. Should be active or retired LEO's.
Again I ask....why?
Steve
Old 05-28-2019, 08:34 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Teachers are there to teach and not to guard the school. Anybody who thinks this will solve violence in the school is just “barking up the wrong tree.” IMHO. In short, I think it’s a bad idea to put that type of responsibility on the teacher even if they volunteer for the task. Best that money be spent on other things like mental health, counseling and professional trained police.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:40 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Teachers are there to teach and not to guard the school. Anybody who thinks this will solve violence in the school is just “barking up the wrong tree.” IMHO. In short, I think it’s a bad idea to put that type of responsibility on the teacher even if they volunteer for the task. Best that money be spent on other things like mental health, counseling and professional trained police.
Nobody said arming teachers and faculty will "solve" violence in schools. We are talking about eliminating and maybe avoiding the casualties in the case of an active shooter in the school. I would love to hear viable options, of which I am hearing none.
Steve
Old 05-28-2019, 08:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Best that money be spent on other things like mental health, counseling and professional trained police.
And again I ask....how well did that work at Majory Stoneman Douglas High??
Steve
Old 05-28-2019, 08:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

The answer is education. Anti-bullying. Teaching tolerance understanding differences. Guidance counseling, social outreach.
My SIL taught “alternative” kids in high school, the homeless, the drug users, the lost ones. She’d take them home sometimes teach them how to do laundry, how to make a meal. Several of her students became very successful, one is a well known film director in Hollywood. She gave them an alternative.
What I am trying to say is the answer is not to shoot the shooter, but to give a reason for the shooter not to want to shoot in the first place.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
The answer is education. Anti-bullying. Teaching tolerance understanding differences. Guidance counseling, social outreach.
My SIL taught “alternative” kids in high school, the homeless, the drug users, the lost ones. She’d take them home sometimes teach them how to do laundry, how to make a meal. Several of her students became very successful, one is a well known film director in Hollywood. She gave them an alternative.
What I am trying to say is the answer is not to shoot the shooter, but to give a reason for the shooter not to want to shoot in the first place.
Sounds good. When someone is standing there with a gun to harm you, you need more than education.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:11 PM
Gold member

Quote:
So what are you supposed to do when
that "one" falls through the cracks and starts shooting? You shoot the shooter...
eliminate the threat....period.
Steve
Old 05-28-2019, 09:17 PM
Sage

Guns are not the only way. We had an incident at my school several years ago. Our librarian was from Israel and she had Mossad training, she didn’t need a gun or a knife or anything else to disarm anyone. She solved our problem without incident.
You can train people in other ways besides guns.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:22 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Guns are not the only way. We had an incident at my school several years ago. Our librarian was from Israel and she had Mossad training, she didn’t need a gun or a knife or anything else to disarm anyone. She solved our problem without incident.
You can train people in other ways besides guns.
I would love to hear more of this "incident"

Steve
Old 05-28-2019, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Like that suggestion. You are also putting a teacher and her students into a combat situation with no idea how anyone will actually perform.

Have more trained maybe ex-service people who have actually been in combat in some form or another protecting schools. That also might deter some shooters.

And the the use of none lethal force is also a good idea as suggested by another poster.

More peer-to-peer counseling and anti-in person and cyber bullying approaches to preventing violence.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 05-29-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:41 PM
Sage

A person was seen arming himself in the boys washroom on the second floor by a student. The PA immediately gave the school wide signal for lockdown. All students had to get away from doors and windows and stay under tables etc The doors were locked, the lights shut off. Everyone had to be silent.

I was at the end of the hall 2 doors from the boy’s washroom. I watched through the window of the classroom door as the slight librarian walked from her library at the other end of the hall bare handed and enter the boys washroom. I remember I said a prayer. My students were silent and still. I reassured them. What seemed like a long time later we were given the all clear.

I heard stories later how she disabled him but no other detail was given. She did not talk about it. I always thought it had to be a combination of talking him down and possibly use of martial arts.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:48 PM
Platinum member

Due to the national teacher shortage, there are many many adults in classrooms "teaching" with no educational background...
no child psychology courses; no pedagogy courses; no training on how to actually teach. Yet they "teach" on a daily basis.

Starting teacher pay and benefits in most states equal approximately what a manager at a fast food restaurant earn (with no college degree). The Villages Charter school pays teachers $40,000 a year.

Why on earth would anyone WANT to go to college to teach AND carry a gun?

What kind of person will teaching attract?

A compassionate one who looks out for students best interest or Rambo looking for his next fight?

I am 100% for safety and security for our most precious and vulnerable citizens (children), but arming teachers is not the answer.

Hire more security. Bring in professionals who have made it their life mission to serve and protect.

Let teachers teach kindness and problem solving and teamwork and Math and whatever subject area they excel in.

Leave the police work for police.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2019, 09:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Like that suggestion. You are also putting a teacher and her students into a combat situation with do idea how anyone will actually perform.

Have more trained maybe ex-service people who have actually been in combat in some form or another protecting schools. That also might deter some shooters.

And the the use of none lethal force is also a good idea as suggested by another poster.

More peer-to-peer counseling and anti-in person and cyber bullying approaches to preventing violence.
What is not understood by some here is.....
If there is an active shooter in the school....what are you going to do? What are your options? If you have a firearm on you person, what would you do? Would you fight or flight? Me? Even without a weapon to minimize the threat, I would fight until my last breath to save as many children as I could, that's just my training. .........what would you do?
Steve
Old 05-28-2019, 09:57 PM
Sage

What would I do? At the very least, the same instinct as a mother would have.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
What would I do? At the very least, the same instinct as a mother would have.
Fight? Till your last breath? Even if it meant deadly force with a firearm, if available?
Steve
Closed Thread

Tags
trained, teachers, schools, point, hate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.