Guns in Schools

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2019, 10:05 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

I'm done with this conversation for tonight.
Good night all.
Steve
Old 05-28-2019, 10:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Especially if the armed individual is one of my students (and I consider every student in my school as my student) I do not see them as someone that I would kill, but I would do whatever I could to stop the person from hurting my other students.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:30 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,300 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Nobody said arming teachers and faculty will "solve" violence in schools. We are talking about eliminating and maybe avoiding the casualties in the case of an active shooter in the school. I would love to hear viable options, of which I am hearing none.
Steve
Steve, spend more money on more school counselors and professional law officers as opposed to arming the teachers who are hired to teach and hopefully be role models for the students. I see all kinds of problems and issues. Where is a teacher going to keep his weapon and ammunition locked up safely somewhere in the classroom? It’s going to take time to get the weapon. Is this going to be a hand gun vs. an assault weapon or is the teacher also going to have the same type of weapon? Better background checks? That ship sailed . Perhaps ban semi automatic assault weapons for sale and what is the chance of that happening? The majority of Americans are in favor of banning certain Weapons for sale but the majority has lost that fight. The “bad guys” are likely to have one anyway or maybe even a bomb or two. Can you imagine a scenario when children are accidental injured or killed by friendly fire from a teacher. No, let teachers do the job that they were hired and trained for and trained Officers do the job they were hired to do. My hats off for both teachers and law officers.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Teachers are there to teach and not to guard the school. Anybody who thinks this will solve violence in the school is just “barking up the wrong tree.” IMHO. In short, I think it’s a bad idea to put that type of responsibility on the teacher even if they volunteer for the task. Best that money be spent on other things like mental health, counseling and professional trained police.
Quote:
Steve, spend more money on more school counselors and professional law officers as opposed to arming the teachers who are hired to teach and hopefully be role models for the students. I see all kinds of problems and issues. Where is a teacher going to keep his weapon and ammunition locked up safely somewhere in the classroom? It’s going to take time to get the weapon. Is this going to be a hand gun vs. an assault weapon or is the teacher also going to have the same type of weapon? Better background checks? That ship sailed . Perhaps ban semi automatic assault weapons for sale and what is the chance of that happening? The majority of Americans are in favor of banning certain Weapons for sale but the majority has lost that fight. The “bad guys” are likely to have one anyway or maybe even a bomb or two. Can you imagine a scenario when children are accidental injured or killed by friendly fire from a teacher. No, let teachers do the job that they were hired and trained for and trained Officers do the job they were hired to do. My hats off for both teachers and law officers.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:08 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

For a teacher, or anyone with a CC............the gun is the last resort.

It's not a fix-all, one more level of protection for teachers, staff & students.

I assume there is a representative percentage of teachers/staff who CC permits already. Still, more training.........but there is a level of comfort already.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:46 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
I'll break this down piece by piece.
More money for counseling? I agree.
More law officers? I agree.
As for where would teachers keep the weapon and ammo? Concealed on their person and easily accessible. The students would never know who or where. I carry on a daily basis, concealed and easily accessible, no one knows.
A hand gun vs. an "assault weapon" (which is a misnomer, it's actually a modern sporting rifle). Better something than nothing.
I personally do not believe the stats on "the majority" of Americans wanting to ban certain firearms. Where does the "banning" stop?
Please tell me a viable option if there is an active shooter in the classroom, where there are no "professional law enforcement around.

I'm going to skip out on this conversation for now. I've made my feelings well known here and I would just be beating a dead horse.
I do value everyone's opinion. You will not be able to satisfy everyone's feelings when it comes to the safety in the schools.
Steve
Old 05-29-2019, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

The specifics are open for discussion, but every law enforcement agent that I've ever spoken with says that the only way to solve the problem of school shootings is to harden the targets.

IMHO, having one or two armed guards on campus won't do it. Some schools are very large and by the time an armed guard can go from one end of a campus the other is too late.

Having armed personal at every location whether they be teachers, administrators or outside people will first of all deter many would be shooters from attempting a shooting. In the case of an attempt they would minimize the damage.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 05-29-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The specifics are open for discussion, but every law enforcement agent that I've ever spoken with says that the only way to solve the problem of school shootings is to harden the targets.

IMHO, we know that have one or two armed guards on campus won't do it. Some schools are very large and by the time an armed guard can go from one end of a campus the other is too late.

Having armed personal at every location whether they be teachers, administrators or outside people will first of all deter many would be shooters from attempting a shooting. In the case of an attempt they would minimize the damage.
That is definitely a good idea. They should try everything and anything that might reduce the number of these school shootings and keep teachers/students safe.

Go at the problem from every conceivable angle.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

How will the first responders to a school shooting be able to tell the bad guy(s) from the armed teachers?
Old 05-29-2019, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Not sure how long this thread will last, but here I go:

Should trained teachers be able to carry a gun in schools???

Hate to at this point, but I would support trained teachers carrying to protect my children / grandchildren.

Very Controversial Subject but very important. I fully support the idea of Trained Teachers Carrying in School.

Many people haven't been back in any school since they graduated. I remember East Side High School in Paterson N.J. where the inmates took over the High School. Joe Clark was a tough guy who liked the camera but was in love with the idea of security. I wonder what he would say to this question? I have no doubt it would be Pro Security. That was many years ago and things have not gotten better since then. I was in that school almost every day, it wasn't good.

A person's point of view can and will be skewed dependant on the environment they are thinking about. Are they envisioning Mayberry, Little House on The Prarie or the reality of the Inner City and Schools like the ones in Connecticut?

If you're betting my families life on Gun or No Gun, Strap Up The Teacher! Train Them The Best You Can! Hope for a Positive Outcome in a Bad Situation.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Very Controversial Subject but very important. I fully support the idea of Trained Teachers Carrying in School.

Many people haven't been back in any school since they graduated. I remember East Side High School in Paterson N.J. where the inmates took over the High School. Joe Clark was a tough guy who liked the camera but was in love with the idea of security. I wonder what he would say to this question? I have no doubt it would be Pro Security. That was many years ago and things have not gotten better since then. I was in that school almost every day, it wasn't good.

A person's point of view can and will be skewed dependant on the environment they are thinking about. Are they envisioning Mayberry, Little House on The Prarie or the reality of the Inner City and Schools like the ones in Connecticut?

If you're betting my families life on Gun or No Gun, Strap Up The Teacher! Train Them The Best You Can! Hope for a Positive Outcome in a Bad Situation.
Good Nucky. What might work in some school in Texas in a rural area might not be a good solution in a New York City public school. Local gun culture should also play a role. I had a 12 gauge shotgun by age 12 or so while growing up in Reno, Nevada and one of my "friends" shot me in the left pinky with a BB gun after he had been pointing it at my eye. I asked him to try shooting between my fingers. He missed. That was the end of that "friendship".
Old 05-29-2019, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

And where do we stop? Do we arm the bus drivers too? And the shoppers as many shootings up north take place in malls. Should we arm everyone, go back to the old West style? What kind of society would that make, armed and fearful?

What if it was your child or mine, your grandchild or mine who was the “bad” guy?

I understand the fear that drives a parent to protect, I just think that we have to do better.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts
Default Old west style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
And where do we stop? Do we arm the bus drivers too? And the shoppers as many shootings up north take place in malls. Should we arm everyone, go back to the old West style? What kind of society would that make, armed and fearful?

What if it was your child or mine, your grandchild or mine who was the “bad” guy?

I understand the fear that drives a parent to protect, I just think that we have to do better.
The old west style existed only in John Wayne movies. The hero would shoot a hangman's rope from 1000 yards away mounted on a horse with his trusty colt 45 pistol. Pistols were expensive.
Most people were armed with shotguns.

Like most things my view is freedom of choice and responsibility for your actions.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post

I agree with a whole lot of what you have shared. You have a lot of background in the system. My background was limited. I was a Vendor, not an Educator but I did observe what went on inside various schools. The OP'S question didn't make a sweeping observation like this last post of yours did. It asked about Teachers Carrying. I Fully Support that.

I said what I said and said what I meant a Grandfather's Faithful 100%.

I also respect the views that oppose mine.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

Sure, let the teachers and the custodians and the guidance counselors and the lunch ladies all carry their weapons. Heck, let the 18 year old seniors bring their guns too. Especially if they were in the Junior ROTC program. /s
But also, make them responsible for any outcome. You take down a bad guy in an active shooter situation, big bonus for you, in the millions. But if your gun harms an innocent person, or is "lost" and used in a crime, or goes off accidentally you are personally liable, not indemnified by the school system, but you the gun owner are responsible and you cannot bankrupt yourself out of that financial risk. You may get insurance if any company would insure you, at your own cost. The idea that 150 hours of training makes a person qualified to competently handle a school shooting is foolish.

And the "Old West".. read about the vigorous gun control in the "Old West" where you had to leave your weapon with the town sheriff if you were within the city limits.

Tags
trained, teachers, schools, point, hate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.