Had to change libraries

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2019, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Here is the link to the company that manages that library and all of them in Sumter County.

Let's all send a message about the loud banging doors and see what happens.

Contact | Lsslibraries

I see Tal had already shared this information. Sorry, haven't had coffee yet.

There is no charge for Sumter County Library Services.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-13-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
You have a Public Library that you have to PAY to use for 6 months? And another one that's subcontracted? That's so sad. Doesn't Florida value literacy? I've never heard of such a thing. Are there other states that have public libraries that aren't funded by the state/town/county, or that subcontract to - to who exactly? Library subcontractors? Wow - insane. I'm just gobsmacked. As for the doors - well if it were a normal library the town would take care of it. Because - literacy.
There is no charge for use of libraries in Sumter County.
I was surprised too when I heard this. Here is more information;

Our Libraries | Lsslibraries

Whoops. Tal already posted the link. Anyway, this section shows how many library system this subcontractor runs in the U.S.

More and more people are reading E books. I like the ones with pages that really turn, but I can't even GIVE my books to friends anymore. I am behind the times. Times, they are a changin'.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-13-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:14 AM
Default Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I will try going upstairs. But, I have already sent a letter, complaint form, and a personal email to Leslie Smith, who is the head of administrative services. No reply so far. The library employees acknowledge and are well aware of the problem, but they say that the county will not fix it.
With this and other similar issues, you must realize that the person you have written to and e-mailed to likely never sees what you have sent. Typically this stuff is filtered by a secretary.

I've not done it in many years so the cost may well have gone up.
At a cost of 5-6.00 you can send a registered, restricted delivery letter. The person who you have directed the letter is supposed to personally sign for it. If, nothing else, your letter will be noticed in the pile of letters these people get everyday.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Does anybody know exactly what the problem is with the doors? Would a can of WD-40 solve the problem?
The doors are tall and made of plastic and when they meet on closing they bang and the vibration causes them to rattle. I would think cost was a major factor. Cheap being the operative word.
Maybe felt or rubber strips could absorb some of the noise.

Last edited by Two Bills; 01-13-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,466 Times in 3,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
The doors are tall and made of plastic and when they meet on closing they bang and the vibration causes them to rattle. I would think cost was a major factor. Cheap being the operative word.
Maybe felt or rubber strips could absorb some of the noise.
Silicone caulk would solve the problem. The library can get a tube for $6 at Home Depot. You could even use the bath and kitchen version, which is clear, however it isn't made for doors. The one made for doors is white, which might be unattractive when using it as a noise-proofing barrier between the door and the frame.

One doesn't need to be a construction engineer or architect or handyman to figure this stuff out. One only needs to have once been a housewife at some point in the last 4 decades.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Silicone caulk would solve the problem. The library can get a tube for $6 at Home Depot. You could even use the bath and kitchen version, which is clear, however it isn't made for doors. The one made for doors is white, which might be unattractive when using it as a noise-proofing barrier between the door and the frame.

One doesn't need to be a construction engineer or architect or handyman to figure this stuff out. One only needs to have once been a housewife at some point in the last 4 decades.
Caulk would be useless in this situation. Caulk seals cracks, gaps, etc. No good between moving parts.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,466 Times in 3,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Caulk would be useless in this situation. Caulk seals cracks, gaps, etc. No good between moving parts.
Spoken like someone who hasn't been a housewife even once within the past 40 years.

Silicone caulk is the perfect weatherproof buffer when a door is clanging against the door frame. You don't put it on the joints/hinges. Those aren't what is making noise. What's making noise is the edge of the door (where the doorknob/handle is) clanging against the frame. So you create a rubbery buffer by adding a thin line of caulk from top to bottom of the door near the outer edge.

Then, when the door automatically slams shut, it will make a "FOOF" sound instead of a "KERBLAM" sound.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Two Bills is right. Caulking would not work in this situation.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Spoken like someone who hasn't been a housewife even once within the past 40 years.

Silicone caulk is the perfect weatherproof buffer when a door is clanging against the door frame. You don't put it on the joints/hinges. Those aren't what is making noise. What's making noise is the edge of the door (where the doorknob/handle is) clanging against the frame. So you create a rubbery buffer by adding a thin line of caulk from top to bottom of the door near the outer edge.

Then, when the door automatically slams shut, it will make a "FOOF" sound instead of a "KERBLAM" sound.
Must confess I have never been a house wife, but I know how to do housework and can boil water, also, I know where caulk goes, and it is not between moving surfaces.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:30 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

The owner of the building (my somewhat educated guess - Sumter County) and tell the most important Official you can talk with the ridiculousness and for them to fix the annoying problem. I’m sure they will be “on it”.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,614 Times in 5,196 Posts

We may be getting some action. I got an email from Joseph Duennes and a service ticket No. 223107, and a number for the help desk, 352-568-6699.
Also, the doors were set in the open position at the library, and not operating this morning. Much quieter with the doors open.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-14-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

“Patience is a virtue”
Old 01-14-2019, 11:48 AM
Sage

Go team.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:50 PM
Veteran member

Was at that library today. Doors were locked in the open position. "Problem" solved.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:49 PM

Yes the doors are adjustable every were you go ..but no one knows how too
Closed Thread

Tags
doors, library, county, wrote, filled

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.