Had to change libraries

Had to change libraries

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 01-12-2019, 10:13 AM
Veteran member

Wife and I use that library, and I fully agree about the auto doors. I mentioned it to one of the librarians, and her response was, 'you get used to it, but it takes a long time.'
I take my hearing aids out. Deafness has its advantages some times!

Last edited by Two Bills; 01-12-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:02 PM
Gold member

Does anybody know exactly what the problem is with the doors? Would a can of WD-40 solve the problem?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for migraines.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2019, 08:56 PM
Gold member

Why don’t you just checkout the book and take it home? You certainly should be able to control the noise level in your own home.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:42 PM

You have a Public Library that you have to PAY to use for 6 months? And another one that's subcontracted? That's so sad. Doesn't Florida value literacy? I've never heard of such a thing. Are there other states that have public libraries that aren't funded by the state/town/county, or that subcontract to - to who exactly? Library subcontractors? Wow - insane. I'm just gobsmacked. As for the doors - well if it were a normal library the town would take care of it. Because - literacy.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:04 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Does anybody know exactly what the problem is with the doors? Would a can of WD-40 solve the problem?
WD-40 will not stop the metal on metal clanging noise every 10 seconds or so while you are trying to look at reading material. The doors were not installed properly. Yes, they can be fixed, but they have been broken for about 6 months or so, and no one has done anything to fix them.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:10 AM
Sage

Here is the link to the company that manages that library and all of them in Sumter County.

Let's all send a message about the loud banging doors and see what happens.

Contact | Lsslibraries

I see Tal had already shared this information. Sorry, haven't had coffee yet.

There is no charge for Sumter County Library Services.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-13-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
You have a Public Library that you have to PAY to use for 6 months? And another one that's subcontracted? That's so sad. Doesn't Florida value literacy? I've never heard of such a thing. Are there other states that have public libraries that aren't funded by the state/town/county, or that subcontract to - to who exactly? Library subcontractors? Wow - insane. I'm just gobsmacked. As for the doors - well if it were a normal library the town would take care of it. Because - literacy.
There is no charge for use of libraries in Sumter County.
I was surprised too when I heard this. Here is more information;

Our Libraries | Lsslibraries

Whoops. Tal already posted the link. Anyway, this section shows how many library system this subcontractor runs in the U.S.

More and more people are reading E books. I like the ones with pages that really turn, but I can't even GIVE my books to friends anymore. I am behind the times. Times, they are a changin'.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-13-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Suggestion
Old 01-13-2019, 09:14 AM

Default Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I will try going upstairs. But, I have already sent a letter, complaint form, and a personal email to Leslie Smith, who is the head of administrative services. No reply so far. The library employees acknowledge and are well aware of the problem, but they say that the county will not fix it.
With this and other similar issues, you must realize that the person you have written to and e-mailed to likely never sees what you have sent. Typically this stuff is filtered by a secretary.

I've not done it in many years so the cost may well have gone up.
At a cost of 5-6.00 you can send a registered, restricted delivery letter. The person who you have directed the letter is supposed to personally sign for it. If, nothing else, your letter will be noticed in the pile of letters these people get everyday.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
The doors are tall and made of plastic and when they meet on closing they bang and the vibration causes them to rattle. I would think cost was a major factor. Cheap being the operative word.
Maybe felt or rubber strips could absorb some of the noise.

Last edited by Two Bills; 01-13-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
The doors are tall and made of plastic and when they meet on closing they bang and the vibration causes them to rattle. I would think cost was a major factor. Cheap being the operative word.
Maybe felt or rubber strips could absorb some of the noise.
Silicone caulk would solve the problem. The library can get a tube for $6 at Home Depot. You could even use the bath and kitchen version, which is clear, however it isn't made for doors. The one made for doors is white, which might be unattractive when using it as a noise-proofing barrier between the door and the frame.

One doesn't need to be a construction engineer or architect or handyman to figure this stuff out. One only needs to have once been a housewife at some point in the last 4 decades.

Tags
doors, library, county, wrote, filled