Happy Columbus Day!

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2019, 01:38 PM
Veteran member

Columbus supposedly discovered America in 1642. The supposed history about him was written 336 years later, in 1828. Something to think about.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:53 PM
Veteran member

The Iroquois had the longest lasting Democracy. Here's their Constitution, created around 1200 AD and passed down by word of mouth, until it was written down.

https://hs.pequannock.org/ourpages/a...nstitution.pdf
Old 10-15-2019, 02:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
Columbus supposedly discovered America in 1642. The supposed history about him was written 336 years later, in 1828. Something to think about.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,953 Times in 1,706 Posts

Under Communism it could have been 1642, they were used to rewriting history - all history, with each regime change. My mother as a teacher, had to teach it. So glad I left by grade 2.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:34 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
That's all well and good, but it doesn't change the fact that Columbus never came to North America. He never invaded this continent, he never did anything that had anything to do with this continent.

He did show up in South America but most of his travel revolved around the Caribbean and the West Indies, particularly Haiti.
You totally missed my point. To recap, there is no such thing as a "native" American, since humans are not native to this continent.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,375 Times in 3,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
You totally missed my point. To recap, there is no such thing as a "native" American, since humans are not native to this continent.
You missed my point: the existence, or lack thereof, of indigenous peoples in the North American continent, is completely and totally irrelevant to the thread since Columbus was never here anyway.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
I'm with you on this one. IMHO there is no such thing as a "native" American but I'm not looking to get the last word in. I'll bet you a buck..... you are not going to win. Do yourself a favor and stop beating your head against the wall.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:23 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

Quote:
You missed my point: the existence, or lack thereof, of indigenous peoples in the North American continent, is completely and totally irrelevant to the thread since Columbus was never here anyway.
He landed in Central America well above and below Panama as well on the South American shore. He discovered The Americas for Western civilization.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-16-2019, 08:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
You're right. Thanks for the correction. Don't know where my date came from, since I had previously written 1492 in another string. I'll chalk it up to old timer's condition.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Under Communism it could have been 1642, they were used to rewriting history - all history, with each regime change. My mother as a teacher, had to teach it. So glad I left by grade 2.
You bring up communism and rewriting history. I made a simple mistake. No one is re-writing history, especially when the original account was written over 330 some years after the event. That's called made-up history. It's like the story of George Washington cutting down a cherry tree. That story came after he died. It was a simple STORY about honesty, even though it never happened. A dishonest story about honesty. That takes the cake. We've long given up on honesty. Now, that's, a story to discuss.

Cherry Tree Myth * George Washington's Mount Vernon
Old 10-16-2019, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,953 Times in 1,706 Posts

I did not mean to imply that you were rewriting history, I was trying to make a (bad) joke about the fact that under Communism they could pick any date they wanted and anybody they wanted to discover America. They wrote fake history. It is called mind control. And my mother as a teacher had to teach it or be put in jail.

In my opinion, many historical stories are really probably parables, like in the Bible they are meant to teach us. Whether they actually happened or not is of secondary importance. History is such a tricky science. So much depends on whose view point it is written from. Still, dates and names sound like things we should be able to agree on. My background is applied sciences, especially after my Communist history classes.

Last edited by Velvet; 10-16-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,375 Times in 3,052 Posts

Leif Erikson discovered NORTH America some time in the 1st century. He set foot on what is now called Newfoundland, and the ruins/remains of the Norse settlement have been preserved and remain today.

Amerigo Vespucci is the man who discovered that the South American continent was, in fact, a continent and not just a branch connected to Asia. He showed up after Columbus, who failed to notice that fact since he was looking for a path to the West Indies, and not for the Americas - which he didn't know existed. That is why the Americas are called the Americas; because it was a man named Amerigo who made that distinction for Europe.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
You're right. Thanks for the correction. Don't know where my date came from, since I had previously written 1492 in another string. I'll chalk it up to old timer's condition.
Been there..... done that!
Old 10-16-2019, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Leif Erikson discovered NORTH America some time in the 1st century. He set foot on what is now called Newfoundland, and the ruins/remains of the Norse settlement have been preserved and remain today.

Amerigo Vespucci is the man who discovered that the South American continent was, in fact, a continent and not just a branch connected to Asia. He showed up after Columbus, who failed to notice that fact since he was looking for a path to the West Indies, and not for the Americas - which he didn't know existed. That is why the Americas are called the Americas; because it was a man named Amerigo who made that distinction for Europe.
Think you mean around 1000? The Viking Explorer Who Beat Columbus to America - HISTORY
Old 10-16-2019, 10:29 AM
Sage

The original native peoples, who discovered and then settled North America, were actually a Stone Age European tribe (blond haired & blue eyed) known as the Solutreans who came from France and Spain. This happened about 20,000 years ago. The phrase “Iberia, not Siberia” pertains.

Interestingly enough, because the Ice Age was then in full force, they were able to make it across the Atlantic in small boats. (The Earth has been warming ever since and it happened long before fossil fuels came upon the scene, but I digress.)

When Asiatic people came across the Bering Straight a long time thereafter, they populated the continent. They were apparently better fighters, with better weapons and they eventually subjugated the descendants of the Solutreans, intermarried and so forth.
Thus, when Columbus arrived, he (unknowingly) reclaimed North America for the descendants of the Solutreans who had been in Spain for many millennia.
Closed Thread

Tags
day, columbus, italy, spain, celebrated

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.