Garbage disposal

Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2018, 12:51 PM
Default Garbage disposal

1/2 horsepower garbage disposal just died.
Looking to get higher horsepower. Has anyone installed a new one that they love?

Thanks for your advice.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:12 PM
Sage

Get an Insinkerator 2 stage--the one stage Badgers are junk
Old 09-02-2018, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Not true at all. There are many, many Badgers installed in Villages homes. Some have been in service for 12+ years. I’ve replaced a few for people who have opted for the higher end Insinkerator “Evolution” models. They’re a little quieter than the Badger line, but think about how long your disposal actually runs each time you turn it on. In my opinion, the price difference isn’t worth it.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:59 PM

Grab the same model you are replacing. So much easier to install.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtroy View Post
Grab the same model you are replacing. So much easier to install.
Exactly
Old 09-02-2018, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

I think the garbage disposal is the worst invention ever for the kitchen. Why not just throw everything in the trash?
Old 09-02-2018, 03:20 PM

Insinkerator 3/4 HP Stainless Batch Feed
Old 09-02-2018, 03:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaridger1 View Post
Insinkerator 3/4 HP Stainless Batch Feed
That’s what we have and I love it.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think the garbage disposal is the worst invention ever for the kitchen. Why not just throw everything in the trash?
I use mine for the same reason I have indoor plumbing,a frost free refrigerator , washer and dryer. If you have problems, you don’t know how to use it.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
I use mine for the same reason I have indoor plumbing,a frost free refrigerator , washer and dryer. If you have problems, you don’t know how to use it.
You got indoor plumbing?

A honey pot on the end of a drive way in Mallory Square
Old 09-02-2018, 04:42 PM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Badger disposals are Insinkerators. Made on the same line in Racine, Wi.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:37 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckySevens View Post
1/2 horsepower garbage disposal just died.
Looking to get higher horsepower. Has anyone installed a new one that they love?

Thanks for your advice.
Yes. Installed a 1 HP Waste King Legend 8000 about 6 years ago. Had a Badger 1/2 HP which constantly plugged, stalled, backed up sink etc.

Installed the Waste King myself and have had absolutely no problems. We lovingly refer to it as "The Beast". No stalls , backups etc. When you turn it on you feel the Power. Seem to think it was about $100. Bought on internet, with power cord installed.

Installation connections were common to the badger.

The installation was not that difficult. The one issue was lifting it up to connect to the sink since I was doing it myself. Solved that problem a number of magazines to get it close, and then tapped slanted shims in to raise it to where connectors engaged.

Cheers for " The Beast".
Old 09-02-2018, 08:44 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

The Villages installs the same 1/2 hp badger made by insinkerator in EVERY Villages home, be it a multi-million Premier or a cozy patio villa.

When it comes to garbage disposals, this is a good, standard ENTRY LEVEL disposal.

Higher priced models come with higher horsepower, and are MUCH quieter. I recently replaced my 12 year old 1/2 hp Badger with a nicer Evolution. Everytime I use it now I almost think it did not turn on it is so quiet.

One really nice feature for the more expensive models is the ability to remove and clean the rubber flap. On the cheaper ones they often get very gross and smelly, and are somewhat difficult to clean the underneath parts. The better ones easily come off and snap back in.

The more expensive ones are very often on sale on Amazon lightning deals, etc. I bought mine for not much more than the normal price of a Badger. They are all easy to install.

Frank
Old 09-03-2018, 01:52 PM

Thanks for posting your problem regarding garbage disposals. We looked to see which model we had, and lo and behold it was leaking all over the bottom of our cabinetry. It was only 5 years old, and had been making strange noises lately. Bought a replacement at Lowe's and installed it ourselves.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
The Villages installs the same 1/2 hp badger made by insinkerator in EVERY Villages home, be it a multi-million Premier or a cozy patio villa.

When it comes to garbage disposals, this is a good, standard ENTRY LEVEL disposal.

Higher priced models come with higher horsepower, and are MUCH quieter. I recently replaced my 12 year old 1/2 hp Badger with a nicer Evolution. Everytime I use it now I almost think it did not turn on it is so quiet.

One really nice feature for the more expensive models is the ability to remove and clean the rubber flap. On the cheaper ones they often get very gross and smelly, and are somewhat difficult to clean the underneath parts. The better ones easily come off and snap back in.

The more expensive ones are very often on sale on Amazon lightning deals, etc. I bought mine for not much more than the normal price of a Badger. They are all easy to install.

Frank
The person who lives with me sometimes refers to me as being "nasty neat" and I do have a fetish about the disposal. I have found several long thin brushes which do a good job of cleaning inside the unit and I also get my hand inside and scrub up under the rubber thingee. I do, once in a while, get the heebie jeebies that the thing will start grinding while I have my hand in there, but so far so good!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Closed Thread

Tags
garbage, horsepower, disposal, advice, love

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.