Harvey Victims Desperately Need Our Help

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2017, 01:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndastahl View Post
Does anyone know if anyone from are area would be going down to Texas to help
Before anyone goes down to help, unless it is with an organization, you should make sure they can use you. Do you have a certain expertise?

Don't forget -- volunteers who travel there need room and board. That might not be so easy to find unless you are part of a group and even then -- who knows???
Old 08-31-2017, 05:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
Mrs. Robinson...Thank you for your wonderful post, and thank you all for your donations and prayers for all of the people in S/E Texas. We are native Texans and from Houston. Our son and daughter in law are Houston Police Officers. They have been working 12 hour shifts with only 4 hour rest periods at the stations since this storm began. We ask for your prayers for all of the first responders and volunteers in Houston and South Texas, especially for the family of Sgt Steve Perez who lost his life serving the great city he loved.
My hat is off to all of the first responders and volunteers in the Houston area and South Texas. The recovery of this area will take many months, perhaps even years.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:24 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,769 Times in 3,637 Posts

It's just an estimate, but I just heard over 80% of the impacted homeowners don't have flood insurance.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:18 PM

Our son is flying search and rescue missions and has said the damage is devastating. And he has been deployed twice overseas.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
It's just an estimate, but I just heard over 80% of the impacted homeowners don't have flood insurance.

Yep, and that will be the biggest fight in congress. How or not to appropriate funding either in grants loans/both to people who may or may not be able to afford a loan.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:08 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=fw102807;1441262]Not sure you understood my post. According to this site 90% of the funds do benefit the cause. Red Cross is a very highly regarded organization.[/QUOTE

How the Red Cross Raised Half a Billion Dollars for Haiti — ProPublica
Old 08-31-2017, 02:54 PM
fw102807

[QUOTE=bimmertl;1442031]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Not sure you understood my post. According to this site 90% of the funds do benefit the cause. Red Cross is a very highly regarded organization.[/QUOTE

How the Red Cross Raised Half a Billion Dollars for Haiti — ProPublica
I was going to dismiss this as false news but upon researching found unfortunately it is true.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:22 PM
Veteran member

Looks like Red Cross off to shakey start with Harvey funds.

Red Cross Won'''t Release Harvey Relief Numbers, Continuing a Long, Troubling Trend
Old 08-31-2017, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
Looks like Red Cross off to shakey start with Harvey funds.

Red Cross Won'''t Release Harvey Relief Numbers, Continuing a Long, Troubling Trend
Like some others, I will not donate to the Red Cross. I have my reasons. That being said.... I got online yesterday and made a donation to "The Salvation Army" and another to the "Humane Society of the U.S." both earmarked for their Disaster Relief Fund.

Please don't let your dislike or distrust of a charity keep you from giving to others. Thank you.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:07 PM
Platinum member

Google CharityWatch. Search for American Red Cross. High overhead including very high salaries of their leadership. Costs them $30 to raise $100. Their rating is B. There are many efficient charities to help Harvey victims.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:27 PM
Veteran member

I just donated my Southwest Airline points to go towards Harvey, in any way they can be used.
I am sure other airlines are doing the same.
Please think about donating your miles.
Every little bit helps.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndastahl View Post
Does anyone know if anyone from are area would be going down to Texas to help
Fross and Fross Wealth Management is collecting donations at their building in Sumter Landing near Winn Dixie. They will get the donations to The T&D Family of companies, who are sending trucks full of the donations to Texas.
Below is the information from their Facebook post.
-----
Donations can be dropped off at Fross and Fross Wealth Management – 910 Old Camp Rd, Bldg. #90 between 9:00 and 5:00. Please do not leave donations outside during non-business hours.* We are located in Sumter Landing near Winn Dixie.

We are accepting the following donations through Wednesday 9/6 at 5pm:
- Water, sports drinks
- Nonperishable food items
- Diapers, baby wipes, and baby formula
- Toiletries (soap, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, tooth brushes, deodorant)
- Feminine hygiene products
- Medical Supplies (band aids, first aid supplies)
- Blankets, sleeping bags and pillows
- Cleaning supplies (dish soap, disinfectant wipes, garbage bags, etc.)
- Moving boxes, backpacks and duffle bags
- Batteries for flashlights
- Pet food, cat litter, towels
- The only clothing items that are needed at this time are packs of new underwear and socks.
*Fross & Fross will be closed Monday, September 4th.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:36 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,769 Times in 3,637 Posts

Nice to see the Dells donating so much. The rich usually just get the negative press and being successful is bad.

Adding some info:

Tech billionaire and Houston native Michael Dell has committed $36 million to Hurricane Harvey relief efforts.

The pledge from the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation is the largest contribution to date. It follows a long list of corporate donations to help the storm's victims and aid with recovery.

The founder and CEO of Dell and his wife Susan on Friday also announced the launch of the Rebuild Texas Fund, along with Texas Governor Greg Abbott.

The pair has already donated $17 million to launch the fund. The goal is to raise more than $100 million for immediate relief efforts, as well as longer-term recovery and rebuilding.

Last edited by dewilson58; 09-01-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
harvey, donations, donation, money, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.