Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THE "MAGICJACK" PHONE? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/has-anyone-heard-magicjack-phone-11288/)

nONIE 03-03-2008 05:09 AM

Re: HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THE "MAGICJACK" PHONE?

Cheap phone Barb, no volume control. Thanks for responding tho. Guess Ill just have to put up with it. Im just happy to have something other then my cell which drives me crazy!!! Overlaping conversations, static, dropped calls. Magic Jack Is WONDERFUL!!!!

The Great Fumar 03-03-2008 05:54 AM

BARB1191
Could be your hearing isn't what it used to be ,,,, Just a thought...

fumar droppin a pin :dontknow: :dontknow:

Barefoot 03-03-2008 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb1191
boobear....Thanks for your suggestion re Vonage. Would like to clarify pricing difference between Vonage and MJ, FYI.
Vonage is, as you say, $29.95/MONTH. MagicJack is a once-a-year charge of $19.99 the first year and something like $29.99/YEAR the following years. Yes, MJ does have all the bells and whistles, as well as 911 access and shortly will offer the capability to keep your local phone number. Huge difference in price! barb1191

We have been using Vonage for the past four months and the monthly price of $29.95 gives us UNLIMITED long distance calling to Canada as well as the USA!! A huge advantage for us as Fireboy is still working in Canada.

I do find sometimes there seems to be a bit of a time lag, don't know why. Also, it only works well when I'm talking to other landlines .. not good reception if other party is on cell phone or portable phone.

But overall we love it as we are saving a fortune on long distance calls.

l2ridehd 03-03-2008 01:40 PM

I have been using MJ for about a month now and it is still working great. I like it because I can use it when I travel as well. I always have the laptop with me and now have a free phone as well. Even from hotels, I just disconnect the hotel phone and plug it into the MJ. So for $20 a year it will always be my second phone and for TV probably my primary phone until I am there full time. VM works well and the quality has always been good so far. I also will set it up in TV using a base and multiple hand sets. Tried that at home as a test and it worked fine. At some point I may eliminate the land line completely, and at a minimum drop it back to very BASIC service. h

TVQueen 03-03-2008 02:09 PM

Thing that still bothers me about it is that if your internet service is down, so is the phone. Also, does not have call forwarding.

Russ_Boston 03-03-2008 03:42 PM

Don't know how internet service is down in TV but my Comcast service has only been down for maybe 10 minutes in the past 5 years! Not a concern.

l2ridehd 03-03-2008 03:52 PM

I would agree that internet is likely to be down more then land line over time. However both are still very reliable. And I will still always have a cell phone as back up.

dadspet 03-03-2008 11:07 PM

Nonie:

One time I got reverb. Now it seems great. Wife uses it all the time now. Quality better then Zerizon cell . We did the update to latest software level ?? Not sure what that did. Keep vol low - and turn up your hearing aid.

nONIE 03-04-2008 12:41 AM

dadspet,

Thanks for the advice will follow it all except the hearing aid part, Please dont rush the degradation of my body parts, they are getting there fast enough! 1rnfl

I CAN STILL HEAR!

dadspet 03-04-2008 09:42 PM

Turned off my computer last night and this morning it wouldn't come back on - seemed like it was hung trying to start Magicjack. Turned it off and same thing happen. FOUnd out comast was down since I couldn't use the internet. Not sure if there is a relationship between comcast not being up this am and MagicJack but comcast has been down before so I'm not sure there is.

This does bring up the point that its probally not a great idea to use magicjack as a only Telephone but still seems like a great solution for cheap phone service if you have a cell phone.

DickY 03-04-2008 10:15 PM

I have Vonage so when the internet is down my Vonage phone is also. However they have an option to forward a call to another phone when this occurs. I have it set up to forward to my cell.

Shirleevee 06-23-2008 06:52 PM

Any new information on Magic Jack?

I just ordered it for TV. Comcast, our ISP in TV does not have telephone service.

Shirleevee

islandgal 06-23-2008 07:29 PM

Shirlee -

I received a call from Comcast last week to let me know they now have phone service here.
I already have their broadband, but Thursday I will be connected to their phone service to replace Embarq and cable to replace Dish.

You might want to give Comcast a call. They have some good deals because of the service being new here.

Harry 06-23-2008 08:22 PM

I have had majicJack for approx 3 months. I don't have any land line. This works fine. Price is right and I don't miss having a $74 a month phone bill. $40 the first year which includes the unit that plugs in to a USB port and $20 every year after that. Yes, per year.

Shirleevee 06-23-2008 08:27 PM

Thank you WiWi.

I have Comcast Broadband and cable......will call them

Shirleevee