HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THE "MAGICJACK" PHONE?

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2008, 03:42 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191
Default HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THE "MAGICJACK" PHONE?

We just installed MAGICJACK today and it's fantastic, so far. Read all about it and tell us what you think. No more expensive phone bills with all kinds of added taxes and line fees. Let's talk (no pun intended, or maybe so). :#1:

barb1191

http://www.magicjack.com/site/index.html

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 01-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts
Default Re: HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THE "MAGICJACK" PHONE?

this is pretty interesting since when we move we're thinking about getting rid of a "land line" but I don't like using a cell that much, please provide feedback in a month or two , barb
Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Sage

What do you do about internet svc?
Old 01-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

do you get a phone number, for incoming calls?? *wonders*
Old 01-11-2008, 12:22 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

That's not what they say on the web site. It lists all those as features you get. I agree I would not want it as my only phone yet. Within 2 years all local and long distance calling will be free anyway. What I would use this for is to take my land line service to the most basic available. I ordered it a couple days ago and will test all those features and provide an up date soon as it arrives. What the web site says for marketing and what the reality is.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Gold member

If anyone is interested there is a discount code of mj394n for $2 off if ordering
Old 01-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Gold member

sory the code has expired
Old 01-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

My MJ arrived this week and it was VERY simple tp install. Plug it to the USB, plug in a phone and wait 2 minutes for the software to install.
1. It only worked when computer is on and ready. Once system times out and it goes to sleep, phone is dead. Not a big problem, just have to change the timeout.
2. You get a phone console displayed on your screen.
3. It maintains a log of calls, number and duration
4. Caller ID does work and so does it for those you call.
5. It has a mute feature which works well.
6. Clarity is really good for VOIP, no hiss or static. And my entire house is wireless broadband including the system it was attached to.
7. Call waiting work well and even shows you the incoming ID on the screen.
8. I have not tried 3 way calling yet or call forwarding, but see how they are set up on the screen.
9. Set up the voice mail and that works fine also.
10. It did give me a new number which is perfect for my planned use.

I have an older laptop that I am not using so I plan to update it to xp, connect direct to the modem and set it up for the phone base unit then use remote phones elsewhere. That way I can leave it on 24X7. I will not eliminate my phone service yet, however I will drop it down to just basic service and use this for all long distance calling. I bought the MJ plus one year of service and so far it was a very worthwhile purchase. I am also going to buy the smallest landline phone I can find and use the MJ when I travel with the laptop. Still need to work out if I can move it system to system, but I believe I can. This should drop the current phone bill from about $60 a month to about $20 a month.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Gold member

international calls coming feb 1 you will have to pay something - dont know how much - i have majic jack works great for me
Old 01-20-2008, 04:38 PM

MAGICJACK sounds to me like a spinoff from what we have been using for six years now called 'Vonage' from New York. The only issue I have not seen any of you address and we found to be a problem here in TV is no 911. If you do use any of these types of systems, including Vonage your area for 911 is not available here. Vonage by the way includes call forwarding, caller ID, voice mail unlimited long distance, local calls and all the other extras for $29.95. Just another name you might want to check out. The only problem we have had with this system down here is with Comcast itself. It seems to be more heat related interferance then we experience in Syracuse, New York. When the temperature is really hot the connection lags not only on the phone system down here, but also the computer systems and tv. We have three computers running almost non-stop here in the house and are aware when the systems run slow and what a good connection is and what is not a good connection. The phone conversations lag so you are just a bit behind on every other word sometimes. Again, this is a technical problem that Comcast needs to address. Vonage doesn't have this problem up north.
My suggestion: If you are going to get one of the the internet phone systems also get a local service so you can have 911 service for this area and you have a number where all of TV folks can call you too. Hope this info helps.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Gold member

We used Vonage for 2 years in NH and had no trouble. So, naturally we continued to use the service when we moved to TV. So far we are very satisfied. It seems equally as good as our previous experience.
Like Barb says, no more annoying fees and service charges that are more than the usage. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Old 01-21-2008, 05:25 AM

I guess the difference between Vonage and Magicjack is not only the price of course but, that you must have your computer turned on all of the time in order to receive or make phone calls with the Magicjack system. So actually the Magicjack is like a large cell phone the modem being your computer and the phone being the receiver. I wasn't aware of what it really was until I went to the sites you folks were talking about above in the previous messages. So the cost savings isn't what I thought it would be because I can't turn my computers off then and still have a phone service. We would have to run our systems 24/7 then. Gee, so much for the pot of gold I thought I just found. LOL..... Maybe someday we will get someone in office who will think all of these charges are really taxes and NOT surcharges and they need to be removed because we are being over taxed. Oh, that's another dream!
Old 01-21-2008, 11:54 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

I thought if you turn your computer off then calls automatically go to voicemail? I don't see that as a problem. Half the time the call is coming from someone I don't want to talk to at that particular moment anyway lol. There is at least one computer on in our house (during waking hours). I will be extremely interested to hear how it works out for everyone over time.

l2ridehd, I definitely like your idea of using the old laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd
I have an older laptop that I am not using so I plan to update it to xp, connect direct to the modem and set it up for the phone base unit then use remote phones elsewhere. That way I can leave it on 24X7. I will not eliminate my phone service yet, however I will drop it down to just basic service and use this for all long distance calling. I bought the MJ plus one year of service and so far it was a very worthwhile purchase. I am also going to buy the smallest landline phone I can find and use the MJ when I travel with the laptop. Still need to work out if I can move it system to system, but I believe I can. This should drop the current phone bill from about $60 a month to about $20 a month.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:43 AM
Veteran member

Tried it (Thanks Bernie for letting me know)>>

1.Installed simple but no 352 area code
2.Clarity is very good, a lot better than my Verizon cell phone and close to a land line
3.You get a phone number and also 911 support.
4.Very Portable - if your a snowbird you can take it back home and have a 2nd line free
5.You don't have to keep your computer on all the time >> If computer is off it goes to a voice mail - you get the messages when you turn the computer back on and dial your number. (haven't tried this yet)
6.I tried it on my WiFi connection and it also worked
7. A lot cheaper than vontage

I use a cordless phone with the base connected to the Magicjack and I can then use the cordless phone and another satellite phone all over the house.

Hard to beat at $20/year - if you can let me know

Old 03-03-2008, 04:12 AM
Sage

Dadspet,

I do get some reverb back at me which is a little annoying, do you notice that at all?

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.