HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THE "MAGICJACK" PHONE?

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee
Smile

I use Magic Jack both in TV and here in NY.....I love it.......

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 07-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbs455 View Post
i suggest you google "majicjack complaints" and read what others who have it are saying...
i am a big googler before i purchase something I like tocheck out what others are saying about the product...complaint wise
happy googling.
The problems I have encountered are by those who do not read how to troubleshoot their MJ......I was told by my land line carrier that I would have nothing but trouble and that is NOT the case.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1234 View Post
Any updating to report on Magic Jack? Is it still cheaper than using Comcast?
I don't know about Comcast, but here in Ny I pay $90.00 monthly for Verizon and $19.95 for 5 years of service with Magic Jack.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Eternal Member

I haven't read through this entire thread, but I did see quite a few positive comments about Majic Jack. I've had mine for over a year (before they introduced the ability to get a 352 area code - I have a 407). I have been thrilled with it at times, and very disappointed with it other times. I have had some periodic garbling making it sound like you are underwater (needing to redial maybe a few times to get a better connection), frequent need to reboot the computer to get dial tone, and I always have to wait what seems like a long time to get dial tone. And I get a little annoyed that I have to leave the computer on 24x7 to have phone service. However, when it does work, it's great. And we have cells as back-ups anyway.

I have heard about a device that costs around $200 that plugs directly into your internet and needs no computer to gat you phone service. It's called Ooma. I am considering that as an alternate to the Majic Jack.

Here's a link: http://www.ooma.com/
Old 07-10-2009, 09:26 AM

Steve - I had area code 407 and just called MJ and they changed it to 352 free of charge.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conn8757 View Post
Steve - I had area code 407 and just called MJ and they changed it to 352 free of charge.
Thanks. I have had nationwide long distance with whatever phone company I've used what seems like forever, so it wasn't a big deal to me. But apparently there are a lot of folks still paying long distance. I think Majic Jack 352's are Ocala based, so do folks have to pay long distance to call Ocala?
I will change it though.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:09 AM

I have a 352 Gainesville exchange and am waiting til they get a local exchange to get my MagicJack # changed.
They advertise that they'll change your # once for free, then a minimal charge to change it after that.
We love our MagicJack. I wouldn't say it's perfect, but for the price, it just can't be beat.

We have Comcast Lite hi speed internet ($24 mo.) and run 2 laptops (thru our linksys wirelss router) with the MJ on one laptop with no problems. The Comcast installation tech tried to convince us we would have problems with the MJ. But they were wrong. We've had this setup for over a year with no problems.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Eternal Member

I wouln't be the least bit surprised that my computer was at fault in my Majic Jack problems. Since re-booting generally clears things up, it's likely the fact that it's really old and slow causing the issues.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Sage

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.