Heat Pump Operation

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2015, 04:45 PM
Default Heat Pump Operation

We have never had a heat pump before so do not know how they are supposed to work. Looking for some experienced feedback.

Our house was built in 2008. I can not find any significant drafts or cold air leaks. It was cold this morning, about 35 degrees. The heat pump was running between 35 and 45 minutes of each hour. Is that normal?

Up north our furnace was running about 15 minutes of each hour and it was 5 degrees outside. Maybe they just work different???

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

thats normal and dont be surpized if it ran longer. a heat pump work by drawing heat from the outside air and if its cold like it was this morning it needs to use your auxulilary (electric resistance) heating to give it a boost. A heat pump does not blow he same hot air out as your furnace up north it, blows a warm air for a longer period of time. At 5 degrees a heat pump is almost useless for it would use all electric resistance to heat your house. Heat pumps work best between 32-45 degrees outside.
When you know your electric resistance heating is working...go look at your electric meter spin...WOW!
Old 01-09-2015, 05:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Here in KC, our heat pump is backed up with natural gas. When the temp reaches 38*, the heat pump is bypassed and gas heat kicks in. Lately, THE GAS HAS BEEN FLOWING!!
Old 01-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Many years ago I had a heat pump in my house in Charleston, SC. The first time I used it I thought it was not working. The air coming from the vents felt cool. I had it inspected and the unit was working perfectly according to the technician. Temperature of air coming from the vent was warmer than the air in the room but not by much. My recollection was that it ran a lot and I never felt warm air.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Many years ago I had a heat pump in my house in Charleston, SC. The first time I used it I thought it was not working. The air coming from the vents felt cool. I had it inspected and the unit was working perfectly according to the technician. Temperature of air coming from the vent was warmer than the air in the room but not by much. My recollection was that it ran a lot and I never felt warm air.
The newer SEER 18 (and above) are much more efficient. The air will not ever feel hot or even wrm when the outside temps are mid 30 and below. You can set the heat strips to kick in at select temps to avoid extended use. And the unit will tend to run almost all day long in extreme cold.

The air coming from the register may feel cool but it is warm....just not a wrm as gas heat. You can always put a themometer in the grill opening and check the temp. You will be surprised.

Heat pumps in cold weather just are not as warm as gas...period.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:57 PM

They are about the same as plugging in your toaster and putting a fan behind it.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:26 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove
Default Try EMHeat Selection on Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patf View Post
We have never had a heat pump before so do not know how they are supposed to work. Looking for some experienced feedback.

Our house was built in 2008. I can not find any significant drafts or cold air leaks. It was cold this morning, about 35 degrees. The heat pump was running between 35 and 45 minutes of each hour. Is that normal?

Up north our furnace was running about 15 minutes of each hour and it was 5 degrees outside. Maybe they just work different???

Thanks for any feedback.
Instead of selecting "Heat" on your thermostat, click on "EMHeat" and run it like that for about 30 mins. Got that tip from the MUNN'S guy when he was here to run a new vent for my addition. Works like a charm AND the air coming out is warm. You'll feel it right away. After about 30 mins, I can turn the heat off and it stays comfortable.

Let us know how you make out....
Old 01-10-2015, 09:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

EMHeat is nothing more than emergency heat which are the electric resistance heat strips. The goal of your heat system should be to use these strips as little as possible for it is very costly when they kick in. When you use the heat or heat pump, yes you will get warm air flowing through your vents but this setting will automatically kick in the electric heat strips when needed. It is not advisable to be using the EMHEAT setting on a routine basis.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patf View Post

Thanks for any feedback.
It is normal for the heat to run that long when the temperature gets in the 30's. The heat pumps don't deliver the heat that the gas furnaces do. Heat Pumps cost less to run.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.