Hertz vs COVID-19

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2020, 09:03 AM
Veteran member
Question Hertz vs COVID-19

Hertz’s bankruptcy affects real people in a very real way. Far more small businesses will be affected and likely in a far more negative way. I’m not suggesting this is an easy question, but I mean it as a very real question. How many more working peoples lives have to be severely damaged (in some cases irreparably) before having a more common sense response?
Old 05-24-2020, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS Beef View Post
Hertz’s bankruptcy affects real people in a very real way. Far more small businesses will be affected and likely in a far more negative way. I’m not suggesting this is an easy question, but I mean it as a very real question. How many more working peoples lives have to be severely damaged (in some cases irreparably) before having a more common sense response?
I agree to many lives are being damaged/destroyed due to the virus.

The good news is once the economy does reopen will be same demand for renting cars so jobs should/hopefully come back.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:38 PM
Gold member

Tough decisions were made attempting to balance lives vs lively hood. It will be easy to play arm chair quarterback and look back after and be critical to the response. This was, and is, an unprecedented crisis with no history to go on. We all can learn from this and move on as “one” .
Old 05-24-2020, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

just the beginning ...many more companies will seek protection from creditors before this is over

and it's all legal....it doesn't mean that they won't survive...it means they are doing everything that they can to survive
Old 05-24-2020, 07:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Let this be a wake up call. For all that think we will turn the switch back on and we will be back to normal. Hertz finances over one half million autos. No matter what the restructure plan some of those cars are going to be for sale creating larger supply than demand. No matter what the restructure plan not all employees will have a job. The higher supply will create less demand for new cars and the new car manufacturers will have to cut back production. More people not back to work. Certainly Hertz isn't the only auto rental company in this situation. This is going to happen in many industries. Just like oil there are boats off the coast of California cruising with autos that can't be unloaded due to storage lots are full. Wait to you see what happens to real estate 2021 - 2022.

Last edited by rustyp; 05-25-2020 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:03 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
Tough decisions were made attempting to balance lives vs lively hood. It will be easy to play arm chair quarterback and look back after and be critical to the response. This was, and is, an unprecedented crisis with no history to go on. We all can learn from this and move on as “one” .
I agree, that is what SHOULD happen.

However, there will always be those who want to find someone to blame (for just about anything or everything), so the finger pointing and nastiness have little chance to ever end.

On the flip side, there are those who will never take responsibility or admit to ever being wrong, which are often those who are also doing the most finger pointing.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

A lot of bargains for used cars as the rental car companies are depleting their inventory.
Kind of good news and bad news.
Closed Thread

Tags
real, question, working, peoples, lives

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.