HGTV? Anybody? (and a recommendation for Home Inspector Joe)

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2022, 02:23 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default HGTV? Anybody? (and a recommendation for Home Inspector Joe)

I record Hometown because I like what they do with houses and the couple (Ben and Erin) seem lovely. Mr. Boomer watches it with me sometimes because he likes what Ben does with woodworking in his extremely well-equipped workshop.

But, anybody watching — who has owned a few houses — surely wonders why, so often, some big problems with the house have been overlooked, only to be uncovered after the house has been purchased and the new owners are all ready for the makeover.

A few of those surprises can be understood, but others should have been obvious in an inspection. But, I guess, creating angst adds drama. (Other HGTV shows seem to have this built-in duh factor, too. But, of course, everything turns out perfectly in the end. . .I often fast-forward.)

But, now, to the rescue of those innocent homebuyers, HGTV has launched a new show — Home Inspector Joe.

I watched the first episode last night. Oh my! Mold and tumbling chimneys and fireplace problems and places to take safety measures and, with one house, there could have been a buried oil tank causing problems in the back yard. . .

I like this guy Home Inspector Joe.

Some of us now have children or grandchildren who are planning to enter the housing market for the first time. Perhaps, recording and watching Home Inspector Joe could be educational — making new buyers more aware of the potential for more problems than a “dated kitchen.”

Of course, house inspections are pretty standard in a contract. But, even so, all inspections are not created equal.

Anyway, does anyone else have a favorite HGTV show? Or an un-favorite?

(I will refrain, for now, from going on and on about why I have turned off other HGTV shows — fast — mainly because I found their “stars” to be obnoxious, for various reasons.)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 01-20-2022 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:44 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Just recently I started watching "Love it or list it". I find it entertaining.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

You know, I’ve wondered the same thing. Had they had the property inspected prior to purchase, most, if not all, the defects would have been uncovered. I thought it was pretty stupid when that happened to so-called professionals.

That new show sounds pretty interesting. Thanks!

To New Englander, I sort of like the premise, but don’t care for either of the emcees(?). I like Property Brothers, but again, sometimes they uncover unexpected problems; seems like they should have discovered them earlier.

Tags
hgtv, house, problems, joe, inspector

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.