High Speed Rail

Closed Thread
Old 03-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Veteran member

I, personally, do not see a need for a high speed train between Tampa and Orlando.

You would still need some form of public transportation once you got to either place. The depot would probably be downtown.

People look at a huge figure for "free government money" being offered for the project. Look at future costs that it will cost you as a Florida taxpayer. Look at the mess it will cause in construction. It is not going to be completed in a snap of the fingers but will take time and real construction on the highway.

No thank you!!! It really hurts me to say that I think Rick Scott has the right idea.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post

There is a distinction between normal rail, which is designed to replace car journeys, and high speed rail, which is designed to replace flying.
How many flights are there today between Orlando and Tampa? What is the amount of passengers and size of planes used on that route?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
I, personally, do not see a need for a high speed train between Tampa and Orlando.

You would still need some form of public transportation once you got to either place. The depot would probably be downtown.

People look at a huge figure for "free government money" being offered for the project. Look at future costs that it will cost you as a Florida taxpayer. Look at the mess it will cause in construction. It is not going to be completed in a snap of the fingers but will take time and real construction on the highway.

No thank you!!! It really hurts me to say that I think Rick Scott has the right idea.
Although I am pro-Amtrak, pro-rail, I would have to agree with you. When it takes just an hour and a half to get from Orlando to Tampa by car, just how much time can it save by using high speed rail... and especially when compared to regular speed commuter rail? Are the benefits really worth the cost of developing a high speed system? I'll let others be the judge of that!
The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-05-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwind View Post
How many flights are there today between Orlando and Tampa? What is the amount of passengers and size of planes used on that route?
High Speed Rail is only of real benefit on longer journeys, so the Orlando-Tampa route would have to form part of a longer stretch to be of value.

If there was also HSR between Miami and Orlando, and between Tampa and other places (Atlanta?, Dallas?) then it would be more useful.

I am surprised that there is currently no HSR between Miami and Orlando, as there are numerous planes each day flying that route. Although the flight time is only 30 minutes or so, the total time spent doing that journey is several hours, and would be quicker by HSR even with a couple of stops en route.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default The real issue of HS rail is that to be more than just another

poitical bragging point and gain for special interests, it needs a national plan.
Some of us remember when there were no interstates. Well that is where we are on HS rail. You want a real HS rail system, that brings convenience, new jobs and reduced dependence on imported oil....it has to be a national plan with each state doing it's piece. Then some day 5-10-15-20 years down the road we would have something of value that in fact accomplishes it's objectives.
Unfortunately America just does not have the leadership any more to think, commit, act and follow through to accomplishment as we di so very well in the past.

It is not a partisan issue. It is a political issue supported by the entrenched business as usual in Washington...regardless who is in office.

btk
Old 03-05-2011, 11:57 AM

We don't need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I live in The Villages. I can't see any reason to go to Tampa. Just a big ole ocean and a sandy beach. NOW I can see all those folks wanting to come HERE.

Don't need no ticket to ride.
Gracie
Old 03-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
Although I am pro-Amtrak, pro-rail, I would have to agree with you. When it takes just an hour and a half to get from Orlando to Tampa by car, just how much time can it save by using high speed rail... and especially when compared to regular speed commuter rail? Are the benefits really worth the cost of developing a high speed system? I'll let others be the judge of that!
The Villages Florida
Well said. I am not a fan of the governor - but I think he is right on this one. Just got back from Dallas, where a monorail to connect the nearby suburbs sits unfinished. And who from Connecticut can forget "Tommy's Trolley"?

This is basically another bridge to nowhere - and I applaud the governor for turning it down....
Old 03-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Well said. I am not a fan of the governor - but I think he is right on this one. Just got back from Dallas, where a monorail to connect the nearby suburbs sits unfinished. And who from Connecticut can forget "Tommy's Trolley"?

This is basically another bridge to nowhere - and I applaud the governor for turning it down....
I agree with every word of your post Kate. I am not sure about the governors past, but I do like that he is successful in business. We will wait and see.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
Since citizens voted FOR the high speed rail I wouldn't think Gov Scott would be able to stop it on his own. BUT, we'll see what the Florida Supreme Court says.
I'm not trying to pick a fight but I thought for some reason the people voted against the high speed train. Personally I'm against it. All we need is another boondoggle.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Maybe Tallahassee to leesburg to Orlando to Miami, At least this offers something but tampa to Orlando ?? Absurd......besides were broke , remember ?????

fumar......
Old 03-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Geez. I think I need new reading glasses. I thought this thread was titled "High Speed Bail." -- thought maybe TOTV had a new advertiser.

Boomer
Old 03-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Geez. I think I need new reading glasses. I thought this thread was titled "High Speed Bail." -- thought maybe TOTV had a new advertiser.

Boomer
Boomer - my moderate friend -

I may need high speed bail - as I have made quasi-political comments on this and the TSA thread.

Mr. Tony (sir) - please forgive me....

Kate
Old 03-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Boomer - my moderate friend -

I may need high speed bail - as I have made quasi-political comments on this and the TSA thread.

Mr. Tony (sir) - please forgive me....

Kate

Not to worry, Kate. I'll cover your bail. One moderate for another.

A confession: Sometimes I so much want to jump into those threads with you. But if I did, we could end up going beyond quasi. So I guess it's a good thing I do not go there because then we could both need bail -- or a cake with a hacksaw inside........

Oh my! There we would be. Sent to jail. There we would be. In that cell.

We would have to wear the most unattractive bright orange outfits and no jewelry allowed.

Our computers would be revoked. And maybe even our library cards.

We would have to pass the time singing prison songs like "Jailhouse Rock" and “Folsom Prison.”

And hoping Martha Stewart would hear about us and bake us a cake.

Oh Kate, I must, I must, I must stay out of trouble. I must stay out of those threads. I cannot even let myself THINK about going in there……

I hear the train a comin’
It’s rollin’ round the bend,
I ain’t seen the sunshine,
Since I don’t know when

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 03-06-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Boomer - I do believe you have saved me from myself....

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.