In the home humidity levels/control

Closed Thread
Old 07-25-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
We had a problem with humidity due to a problem with the fan never shutting off probably due to a power surge. The system would run in the AC cycle and when desired Temp was met, the fan would continue to run picking up moisture from the condenser and pumping it back into the house raising the humidity. This could also happen if users set the fan to run continuously.
the humidity is not 'picked up' humidity from the condenser, it is raised because of leaks in the a.c. Ducts. There are always leaks, often in excess of 10%.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,412 Times in 5,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
We had a problem with humidity due to a problem with the fan never shutting off probably due to a power surge. The system would run in the AC cycle and when desired Temp was met, the fan would continue to run picking up moisture from the condenser and pumping it back into the house raising the humidity. This could also happen if users set the fan to run continuously.

We do have a humidity indicator ($10 Type) to monitor the master bedroom, bathroom, closet, and shower area which is essentially our more humid area. I have a portable Dehumidifier set up to keep the humidity in this area at no more than 50% when we are gone for extended summer periods. It is set up by removing the collector bucket and attaching a short hose run into the walk in shower drain.
I think you may mean that the supply fan in the garage is picking up moisture from the evaporator coil in the air handling unit, also located in the garage. The condenser coil is located outside of the house. In the cooling season, the condenser coil does not get wet, and even if it did, the condenser fan would not carry any moisture into the house. It just blows air outside.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I'm watching a house for a neighbor and the facts are the Thermostat is set to 75 Degrees the Temperature in his house is 92 Degrees and the Humidistat is set to 60.

He said other people who have watched his home have had the same concern as me but he said as long as the Humidistat is at 60 then things are Kool.

I feel terrible about leaving his home like that but I followed his direction to a T.

Could it be correct? I could use a hand here. It's Bleeding Hot In That House!
This sounds very strange to me. Even if you are controlling the humidity at the thermostat, that doesn't mean that the humidity is consistent throughout the rest of the house. I would think that 92 degrees could cause damp areas that could damage furniture or other things in the house or cause mold. Especially if you have windows that leak humid air into the house. I would suggest checking the humidity near the windows and doors.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
This sounds very strange to me. Even if you are controlling the humidity at the thermostat, that doesn't mean that the humidity is consistent throughout the rest of the house. I would think that 92 degrees could cause damp areas that could damage furniture or other things in the house or cause mold. Especially if you have windows that leak humid air into the house. I would suggest checking the humidity near the windows and doors.
Humidity distribution is quite fast within a room. Area's with poor airflow are a different story (Behind dressers, etc.)

http://www.ibpsa.org/proceedings/BS2007/p572_final.pdf
Old 07-25-2019, 03:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Humidity distribution is quite fast within a room. Area's with poor airflow are a different story (Behind dressers, etc.)

http://www.ibpsa.org/proceedings/BS2007/p572_final.pdf
I sure like all those equations. But, my concern is that, if the house temperature is 92 degrees, the air conditioning is probably almost never running. So, unless the fan is blowing air through the house, the dry air will not get distributed at all. And, yes the air in stagnant areas could become very humid. I would never want my house to have a constant air temperature of 92 degrees, regardless of the humidity level. You may get away with 80 or 82 degrees.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:17 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I sure like all those equations. But, my concern is that, if the house temperature is 92 degrees, the air conditioning is probably almost never running. So, unless the fan is blowing air through the house, the dry air will not get distributed at all. And, yes the air in stagnant areas could become very humid. I would never want my house to have a constant air temperature of 92 degrees, regardless of the humidity level. You may get away with 80 or 82 degrees.
It's fine. The two homes I mentioned have been doing this for the last 5 yrs, as directed by Munn's, without any issues whatsoever.
Steve
Old 07-25-2019, 03:25 PM
Sage

Does your neighbor have a special vacation setting whereby the system ignores the temperature setpoint and only turns on when the relative humidity setpoint is exceeded? If so, this sounds a bit strange. I would expect (want) the system to run when either the temperature setpoint or the relative humidity setpoint is exceeded. Setting the temperature setpoint in the low 80s and the relative humidity setpoint around 50-60% would be reasonable.

Why? Relative humidity is exponentially related to temperature and is also limited on how high it can go with hot temperatures. If the temperature in the house gets hot enough, you may never exceed the relative humidity set point. For example, if the temperature in the house was to reach 95F then the relative humidity will probably never exceed 60%. In this situation, the system will never come on but there could be a fairly high absolute moisture level (the dew point) in the house.

Quote:
I'm watching a house for a neighbor and the facts are the Thermostat is set to 75 Degrees the Temperature in his house is 92 Degrees and the Humidistat is set to 60.

He said other people who have watched his home have had the same concern as me but he said as long as the Humidistat is at 60 then things are Kool.

I feel terrible about leaving his home like that but I followed his direction to a T.

Could it be correct? I could use a hand here. It's Bleeding Hot In That House!
Old 07-25-2019, 03:39 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Does your neighbor have a special vacation setting whereby the system ignores the temperature setpoint and only turns on when the relative humidity setpoint is exceeded? If so, this sounds a bit strange. I would expect (want) the system to run when either the temperature setpoint or the relative humidity setpoint is exceeded. Setting the temperature setpoint in the low 80s and the relative humidity setpoint around 50-60% would be reasonable.

Why? Relative humidity is exponentially related to temperature and is also limited on how high it can go with hot temperatures. If the temperature in the house gets hot enough, you may never exceed the relative humidity set point. For example, if the temperature in the house was to reach 95F then the relative humidity will probably never exceed 60%. In this situation, the system will never come on but there could be a fairly high absolute moisture level (the dew point) in the house.

Good Post.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post

His Vacation Setting is Set it to Cool 75 Degrees on the Thermostat and on the Humidistat there is a dash mark - that the knob is turned to and it is at the mark between 50 & 70 but just a - it does not have a number. I would describe it as 60. (Just Being Accurate) Clear step by step directions are on an Index Card that is from the Original Owner from 32 years ago. It is a Manufactured Home in Perfect, Showroom, Day One Condition. The Serial Number on the Home is #2 I did put new batteries in his Thermostat Today. Fresh Red Duracell's. I'm mainly there to watch for Skylite Leaks and animal invasions. So far so good.

I tell you in the last week or so my annual membership fee to belong to TOTV'S has paid off. The help I've gotten is priceless. Thank's a lot! To you all.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:50 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
His Vacation Setting is Set it to Cool 75 Degrees on the Thermostat and on the Humidistat there is a dash mark - that the knob is turned to and it is at the mark between 50 & 70 but just a - it does not have a number. I would describe it as 60. (Just Being Accurate) Clear step by step directions are on an Index Card that is from the Original Owner from 32 years ago. It is a Manufactured Home in Perfect, Showroom, Day One Condition. The Serial Number on the Home is #2 I did put new batteries in his Thermostat Today. Fresh Red Duracell's. I'm mainly there to watch for Skylite Leaks and animal invasions. So far so good.

I tell you in the last week or so my annual membership fee to belong to TOTV'S has paid off. The help I've gotten is priceless. Thank's a lot! To you all.

Probably zero insulation in that old dog.......the home, not the owner.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:50 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Probably zero insulation in that old dog.......the home, not the owner.
HUD code '76. It's insulated, common misconception.
https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/MHCCFRPARTIV.PDF

Steve
Closed Thread

Tags
humidity, home, thermostat, unit, level

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.