Homeless woman, my hero of the day

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2015, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,176 Times in 834 Posts
Default Homeless woman, my hero of the day

Homeless woman walks miles to court to make sure rapist sent to prison | The Columbus Dispatch

Hope she gets a safe clean habitable home for the rest of her life.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Homeless woman walks miles to court to make sure rapist sent to prison | The Columbus Dispatch

Hope she gets a safe clean habitable home for the rest of her life.
I also saw this article and was very impressed with the determination she had to bring this man to justice. I was somewhat surprised that she had such a difficult time getting to his court appearances. I was under the impression that there was a charitable organization that helps out in these kinds of cases, I guess I was wrong in my thinking.

I hope someone of means reads this report and gives her the chance of a job and a decent life.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-17-2015, 10:48 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Three years seems like a pretty short time for rape, especially since convicts usually only serve a third of their sentence. So, she lives with the memory of a beating and rape for the rest of her life and he gets to get on with his life in three years? Where's the justice???

This woman's courage and determination are amazing. As has been said, may someone find this woman and give her a chance at a new life.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-17-2015, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,176 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Three years seems like a pretty short time for rape, especially since convicts usually only serve a third of their sentence. So, she lives with the memory of a beating and rape for the rest of her life and he gets to get on with his life in three years? Where's the justice???

This woman's courage and determination are amazing. As has been said, may someone find this woman and give her a chance at a new life.

I think that he did not get sentenced for rape as there was a plea deal. This saved the victim from the trauma of testifying and guaranteed a jail term. There is always the chance that a defendant is found not guilty. He is going to be a registered sex offender for the rest of his life so it is not three years and done. The victim seemed satisfied with the handling of the case.

“He didn’t get as much time as I thought he should, but he’s getting his due justice,” the woman said after the hearing. “He has to report for the rest of his life.

“I just have to have these feelings for the rest of my life. I only have to report to myself."

Like I said, this woman is a hero.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:30 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Totally agree about the woman but I'm still angry about the sentence. Legally, he has to register but that doesn't mean he will. Many do not. Three is not enough.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-17-2015, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Totally agree about the woman but I'm still angry about the sentence. Legally, he has to register but that doesn't mean he will. Many do not. Three is not enough.
I agree. Our legal system leaves a lot to be desired with respect to how it treats both the victims and defendants. Wish that they emphasized justice rather than just playing the legal game. You have defendants who have to plea bargain because that is how the system works who may have been innocent or have various mitigating circumstances and victims who often do not seem to know their rights all that well or are less the forthright about asserting their legal rights. Scant resources are a big part of the problem but then again so is a system that does not invest in educating the citizens about their legal rights as soon as possible.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.