Homestead exemption and DMV

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Lynn222's Avatar
Lynn222 Lynn222 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 220
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Lynn222
Default Homestead exemption and DMV

I am sooooo new to TV's. January 16th. I hope I am posting in the right place. Two questions:

The homestead exemption - when and where or how do I apply?

Division of motor vehicles - I need to register and get a Florida driver's license (from Virginia). Any hints on making this process easier?

Lynn Baldacci
Life is not necessarily drawing a good hand but playing a bad hand well.
Baltimore, Maryland
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Richmond, Virginia
The Villages...met a man the first month - got married 2-1/2 years later...who knew I would move to The Villages and meet a husband!
Old 02-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Doctor Who Doctor Who is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 4 Posts
Default Exemptions and DMV

Just going through the same process as you. Exemptions are only given if you reside in the home as your principal residence as of Jan 1. If you lived in that residence during that time you may apply for an exemption between Jan. 1 and March 1 of that year.

If you are making a license transfer...go on line. You can make an waiting at the Lake County DMV. Check out what you have to bring with you on line. About $ 48.00 to transfer license. It was easy and we had a great agent. (Dan)

Next to switch your title on your car you must get an insurer operating in FL to offer a policy or binder. Take your out of state title to the tax collector...again we went to Lake County (Avienda) by bowling alley and made the change.....again very easy....waited 10 minutes. Cost with special plates about $ 440.00. Again a great agent. (Dennis)

You can go to any county agency for the License and change of title. You must go to the county in which you reside to file for exemptions.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Carla B Carla B is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,409
Thanks: 29
Thanked 457 Times in 225 Posts

Sorry, I don't know the current requirements for transferring a driver's license from out of state. I know it is harder than just transferring in state, which we did when we moved here from south FL.

However, homestead exemptions must be applied for by March 1 to qualify for the 2011 exemption. You would need to prove ownership and FL residence to apply. Usually, FL residence means having a FL driver's license.

I think the best thing to do would be to call the Auto Registration and Homestead Exemption offices for the county you reside in. The numbers are listed under "Newcomer's Information" in The Villages' phone book for each county.

We found the Sumter Co. offices for both auto registration and homestead exemptions were very easy and friendly to deal with.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:43 PM
chuckinca's Avatar
chuckinca chuckinca is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,907
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Welcome to TOTV Lynn222 and Doctor Who.

Check out "Nuts and Bolts of the Villages" near the bottom of the "Talk of the Villages" screen.

Also, this website is great for TV info:

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 02-22-2011, 07:15 AM
Bryan's Avatar
Bryan Bryan is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Village of Alhambra
Posts: 838
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

Homestead Exemption you want to do last, as you need a FL D/L for that. Your D/L and tags/title for your car can be done in any order but at different offices. Tags and title transfer can be done at any county office. I recommend the Sumter County Government Annex Building at CR 466 and Morse Blvd in The Villages. Your Drivers License must be done at at state DMV Office - Leeburg, Wildwood, and Belleview are the three closest. READ WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING WITH YOU CAREFULLY AND BRING IT ALL! Also, call or go online to make an appointment - it will save you so many hours waiting in line. Once you have your D/L in hand, you can go back to the county office and get the paperwork for your Homestead Exemption.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.