How about a place for low volume live music?

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2017, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts
Default How about a place for low volume live music?

I never go anywhere that has live music because it is always too loud. Who would be in favor of a restaurant or bar that offers live music played at a volume that actually allows people to talk to each other? Just an idea.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:06 PM
Veteran member
Default Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I never go anywhere that has live music because it is always too loud. Who would be in favor of a restaurant or bar that offers live music played at a volume that actually allows people to talk to each other? Just an idea.
We will second that. It seems loud is the new definition of good. Well not for us. Not good for your ears also.
We walked out of the movie, Dunkirk, asked a manager about it and got the idiotic reply : "We need the volume up to clarify the monologue". What?
Have friends who are surprised we do not do the squares. OK we are square. Noise is just that, noise.
Just an opinion but yes, it would be nice to have some decent music that would be good to listen to. Interesting, we did a trip to Nova Scotia. In the small towns, they have traditional music in the evenings. Real quality, well done and at sensible volume. Really made for a very nice and relaxing trip.
Just an opinion so no offense.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:55 PM
Platinum member
Post It's about profits.

Quote:
Loud music raises profits in restaurants.

"Studies show people drink more, eat faster and leave sooner when the bass is thumping, so restaurants are bringing the noise."

Restaurants' table turnover tricks boost business - CNN.com
Old 10-24-2017, 02:37 PM

Great idea, but am wondering if this is possible....it's pretty hard to talk in our restaurants that don't have live music because everyone seems so LOUD?!
Old 10-24-2017, 03:10 PM
Gold member
Default Putting "quotation marks" around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Loud music raises profits in restaurants.

"Studies show people drink more, eat faster and leave sooner when the bass is thumping, so restaurants are bringing the noise."

Restaurants' table turnover tricks boost business - CNN.com
a statement does not make it true, valid or real. Loud music was fine when I was in my teens and 20's. Now it sucks.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:43 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
How about Garvino's wine bar in LSL - entertainment usually TH & FR some SAT.
GarVino's Cigars Wine Gifts

Old 10-24-2017, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
How about Garvino's wine bar in LSL - entertainment usually TH & FR some SAT.
GarVino's Cigars Wine Gifts
Excellent choice.......sorta Cheers-like!
Old 10-24-2017, 05:20 PM
Platinum member
Talking Literacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
Putting "quotation marks" around a statement does not make it true, valid or real. Loud music was fine when I was in my teens and 20's. Now it sucks.
The quotation marks in my post were to indicate that I was quoting a source. That source was then named.

That's what literate people do.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:06 PM
Veteran member

I have written to the Village Entertainment Dept. many times about the addition of classical performances. I know many professional classical musicians that would be thrilled to perform. An afternoon concert of the Brandenburg Concertos, perhaps?

Contact Mary at: Contact The Villages Entertainment

to submit suggestions. The more the merrier!

Last edited by SFSkol; 10-25-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:15 AM

Your living room, with an audiophile sound system.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I'm not sure I understand. If you want to have a conversation, why would you want live music going on?

If you want to listen to music, why would you be talking?

I have a friend that plays acoustic guitar and performs at The Cackelberry Cafe on 27/441 in Summerfield. You could go there and ignore him while carrying on a conversation. Still makes no sense to me, but you can do whatever you want.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
I have written to the Village Entertainment Dep. many times about the addition of classical performances. I know may professional classical musicians that would be thrilled to perform. An afternoon concert of the Brandenburg Concertos, perhaps?

Contact Mary at: Contact The Villages Entertainment

to submit suggestions. The more the merrier!
And I'm sure they'd appreciate you chatting away while they're working their tails off to entertain you.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:48 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
The quotation marks in my post were to indicate that I was quoting a source. That source was then named.

That's what literate people do.
Great retort
Old 10-25-2017, 08:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Goes to the selfish attitude that seems to be increasing here. They complain that the music makes it difficult to have a conversation yet think nothing of their conversation making it difficult for those that want to hear the music.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-25-2017, 08:56 PM

We stay out of restaurants with loud music. It's not for the customers but for the staff who are much younger. Here in TV there are lineups at eating places so it seems they don't care. Still, we need to speak up so they know what we do and do not like. A manager might be listening...if he can hear us.
Closed Thread

Tags
live, music, volume, offers, played

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.