How do so few know so much about everything?

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2020, 06:22 AM

I have done so much. With so little. For so long.
I am now qualified to do anything. With nothing.

As I frequently tell my Bride.
“Honey I can do it all. Just not all at once”!
Old 07-07-2020, 06:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisR View Post
I know this has been written about before, but it is still entertaining to see the same responders (first responders?) offering their wisdom to anything that comes by them.
Facts seem to be optional. So are objectively researched responses, the use of non-perjorative statements, and a well needed reflective pause prior to responding, rather than being the first kid on the block at 5 am.
A guess ole Archie Bunker was right after all when he stated: "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." Perhaps his words to Edith to "stiffle it " would be more appropo.
I’m laughing about this. You are right that lots of people here have opinions not backed up by much information. Oh well! It’s sort of like a democracy: if there are as many idiots on their side as there are on our side, the votes balance out, more or less, or at least don’t swing too far one way or the other.

For nearly my entire life, I’ve loved learning things and learning how to do things, and I’ve also loved sharing what I’ve learned. Despite that, I feel that I’ve learned more in the past couple years than in the rest of my life. Now I’m not strong or fit or fast enough to do some of the things I used to do, like construction projects. In a few years I’ll be dead—as will we all. It bothers me that all this knowledge will disappear, just as I’m finally learning something! I spent 43 years teaching at universities. I was learning constantly so I could enrich my lectures. It wasn’t enough, say, for me to teach a Shakespeare play. I had to learn the history of the time in which it was set. I had to learn what the music was like, and the food, and the art, and the clothing. I had to learn how the people in various social classes lived in that specific period. It was so much fun! I like to think some of the students enjoyed my lectures. Perhaps I was fooling myself.

When I got a job as a janitor in a hospital operating room as a high school dropout when I was seventeen, I grew interested in becoming an operating room technician and began reading textbooks about it. Six months later I was doing it full time. When I needed to know how to fix things and design and build things because I couldn’t usually afford to hire experts, I subscribed to professional building journals and read them cover to cover. I still do, decades later. I became interested in Bible stories and theology and ended up editing a large professional theological journal for ten years. I’ve designed and built or rebuilt several houses. I became interested in Swing music and learned to play it and sing it. I became interested in playing the mandolin and ended up writing a book about it. I became interested in Brazilian Choro music and just published a book about it. I LOVE doing these things! I love SHARING these things.

People ask a lot of questions here. If I don’t have an answer, it’s a lot of fun to do some research online and find an answer. It’s fulfilling to weigh various opinions and studies and figure out which are the strongest. I try to be accurate. I try not to just share “my two cents.”

I’ve noticed a number of people on here who are doing what I do. You know who they are. I like it that they often have information I don’t have. I learn from them, and maybe they learn a little from me. As hobbies go, this one is pretty satisfying.

But even when people post who don’t really have much to add, they enjoy it. Good for them! Their two cents, at the least, keeps them reading and learning.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:59 AM
Veteran member
Default Willing

It's the 80/20 rule. 20% of us I'm more than willing to write our opinion or give out information while the other to 80% want to just read. Whether we're right or not doesn't really matter we're having a pinion that you don't agree with or do are you with. We enjoy expounding our views. There's nothing wrong with that. You obviously enjoy thinking you know everything just the opposite of everybody else. That's okay in my book. I only get upset when it's obvious it's an opinion not backed by fact or reasonable Theory expanded upon. As my father would say how do you know that's not a totally different Sun from yesterday we didn't see it for 12 hours
Old 07-07-2020, 07:00 AM
Veteran member

By the way the Earth is flat and The Villages is the center of the world, obviously by what everyone says here.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
I know this has been written about before, but it is still entertaining to see the same responders (first responders?) offering their wisdom to anything that comes by them.
Facts seem to be optional. So are objectively researched responses, the use of non-perjorative statements, and a well needed reflective pause prior to responding, rather than being the first kid on the block at 5 am.
A guess ole Archie Bunker was right after all when he stated: "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." Perhaps his words to Edith to "stiffle it " would be more appropo.
In reality, these people have probably studied more and more about less and less until they finally know nothing about anything.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:17 AM

Just look at the top right corner of a post and you will see how much responders know. It amazes me.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:23 AM
Default Definition of an expert

An expert is one who remains silent and lets others make fools of themselves.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
So far this topic has generated 3 pages of comments with 0 facts 100% opinions.

If the intent is to stifle, it's not working.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. There was a recent thread where the OP clearly stated that he wanted to know where he could get fingerprints taken that was "currently" open. There were 47 posts, and almost all of them directed OP to go to a place that was not doing fingerprinting.
I looked at this a little differently. The posts that directed the OP to places that were no longer fingerprinting were simply pointing out places where fingerprinting had previously been performed. I looked at it as giving the OP a place to start looking into, not a place to actually physically go. Should the responders have done the research for the OP and see if those places were still fingerprinting? If that is what the OP expected then the OP should have simply said, please research fingerprinting locations and inform me which ones are still active. I'm sure that request would have been gladly performed. Actually I wish the request was written like that. The responses would have been hilarious.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
So far this topic has generated 3 pages of comments with 0 facts 100% opinions.

If the intent is to stifle, it's not working.
You are absolutely wrong. What you stated is a fact, therefore, that makes 1. Oh wait a minute. What I just stated about what you stated is a fact, therefore that makes 2. Oh no, what I again stated.................Forget it I'm tired.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
The answer is never simple but often has many facets to consider and anyone who claims that their way is absolute is a fool.
Reminds me of the following exchange (uttered with the proper inflections, of course):
A: are you sure about that?
B: I'm positive

A: only fools are positive
B: are you sure?

A: I'm positive

Fred
Old 07-07-2020, 08:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpyo View Post
You are absolutely wrong. What you stated is a fact, therefore, that makes 1. Oh wait a minute. What I just stated about what you stated is a fact, therefore that makes 2. Oh no, what I again stated.................Forget it I'm tired.
Hah! You are very observant! Perhaps we can raise the facts/opinions ratio.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Alan Alda, late of Mash, wrote a little book on communication and entitled it "Would I be Looking at you Like This if I Understood What you Said".

................. and my Mother used to say "never mind dear, empty vessels make the most noise" ......

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-07-2020, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,596 Times in 5,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpyo View Post
I looked at this a little differently. The posts that directed the OP to places that were no longer fingerprinting were simply pointing out places where fingerprinting had previously been performed. I looked at it as giving the OP a place to start looking into, not a place to actually physically go. Should the responders have done the research for the OP and see if those places were still fingerprinting? If that is what the OP expected then the OP should have simply said, please research fingerprinting locations and inform me which ones are still active. I'm sure that request would have been gladly performed. Actually I wish the request was written like that. The responses would have been hilarious.
Just to clarify, in that thread, the OP had already done research and he said so. He also said:

"Please only respond if you were successful finding an office that is currently open."
Old 07-07-2020, 09:35 AM

The ability to reason is a gift from God. Failure to use it is to deny His gift.
Closed Thread

Tags
responders, words, guess, block, archie

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.