How do so few know so much about everything?

Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2020, 07:07 AM
Veteran member

Maybe maximum of 2 (two) posts per day. Stop the numbers race
Old 07-08-2020, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisR View Post
I know this has been written about before, but it is still entertaining to see the same responders (first responders?) offering their wisdom to anything that comes by them.
Facts seem to be optional. So are objectively researched responses, the use of non-perjorative statements, and a well needed reflective pause prior to responding, rather than being the first kid on the block at 5 am.
A guess ole Archie Bunker was right after all when he stated: "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." Perhaps his words to Edith to "stiffle it " would be more appropo.
What did you expect? It’s forum
Old 07-08-2020, 11:05 AM

You must be an attorney or engineer. Am I right? I get all my info right here. Can't go wrong. Cmon these are me neighbors.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:40 PM

My 43 years as a newspaper editor taught me to research the hell out of a topic before I made my evaluation and posted. No one is right every time. And I evaluate by actions, not the person or the political party. An IDENTICAL action should be good or bad, moral or immoral, corrupt or uplifting, no matter who does it.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mountaineer View Post
My 43 years as a newspaper editor taught me to research the hell out of a topic before I made my evaluation and posted. No one is right every time. And I evaluate by actions, not the person or the political party. An IDENTICAL action should be good or bad, moral or immoral, corrupt or uplifting, no matter who does it.
You have a very refreshing attitude and, it goes without saying, admirably correct. We could only wish that the newspaper/online journalists operated in a like manner, today.

Fred
Old 07-08-2020, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mountaineer View Post
Wish journalists and their editors would do the same.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

In this polarized world of ours, I don't think it really matters whether reporters or editors of either newspapers or TV outlets research their projects, it really comes down to what we want to believe.

Someone can research the hell out of a subject, but if you do not like that newspaper or that TV channel you are not going to believe anything they say or report.

I am old enough to remember when people would sit around listening to Walter Conkite as though his word was Gospel. What about Edward R. Morrow, Huntley and Brinkley. We never questioned what they told us was the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the the truth. Today, it would be a different story, NOBODY trusts their Government and NOBODY trusts the news unless it is being reported by their party. If this had happened during any of the great wars we would have been in deep trouble.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 07-08-2020 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:43 PM
Default Facts? Do not get your facts from ToTV, or the Internet - Cmon...

My father, an eccentric man from out West, used used to tell me “ THinK fOr yOursELf”. I added the crazy capital letters to emphasize his point.

Reconsider FACTS from every source. E-v-e-r-y source. Fact, a FACT, the absolute undeniable “what happened” fact, vs. opinion, what someone thinks about it - make the distinction first. Just cuz someone says it, anyone, Any doctor, any person, any book, anywhere, in a news article online, doesn’t make it a fact. I’ll add “Listen to your gut”. That feeling in the stomach is real. Investigate and then reimagine the scenario ten different ways. After that, you’re closer to the ”truth” for yourself. Think for yourself. My dad, He’ll never know I hear his voice in my head saying ”Think for yourself”everyday. Freedom, Fighting, on all sides, for free thought ~ thank the stars I’m an American and I am free.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossLady View Post
My father, an eccentric man from out West, used used to tell me “ THinK fOr yOursELf”. I added the crazy capital letters to emphasize his point.

Reconsider FACTS from every source. E-v-e-r-y source. Fact, a FACT, the absolute undeniable “what happened” fact, vs. opinion, what someone thinks about it - make the distinction first. Just cuz someone says it, anyone, Any doctor, any person, any book, anywhere, in a news article online, doesn’t make it a fact. I’ll add “Listen to your gut”. That feeling in the stomach is real. Investigate and then reimagine the scenario ten different ways. After that, you’re closer to the ”truth” for yourself. Think for yourself. My dad, He’ll never know I hear his voice in my head saying ”Think for yourself”everyday. Freedom, Fighting, on all sides, for free thought ~ thank the stars I’m an American and I am free.
I agree, after initial gut feeling and common sense don't over think the issue. That works with us " old" folks that have history and life experience to draw on, trouble with our youth they rely on their educators and social media for truth, not history.....but those those only provide "truth" as they see it, sad but pretty obvious to me...
Old 07-10-2020, 02:19 PM

Hats off to poster #7!

Last edited by Treesa; 07-10-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
In this polarized world of ours, I don't think it really matters whether reporters or editors of either newspapers or TV outlets research their projects, it really comes down to what we want to believe.

Someone can research the hell out of a subject, but if you do not like that newspaper or that TV channel you are not going to believe anything they say or report.

I am old enough to remember when people would sit around listening to Walter Conkite as though his word was Gospel. What about Edward R. Morrow, Huntley and Brinkley. We never questioned what they told us was the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the the truth. Today, it would be a different story, NOBODY trusts their Government and NOBODY trusts the news unless it is being reported by their party. If this had happened during any of the great wars we would have been in deep trouble.
Have to disagree. Stations have their slants and the stories are shown that way.

CNN posts outrageous stories about politicians they do not like and conservative stations do it their way.

What is sad is that reporters are not acting in the best interests of America at a time of great trouble.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Have to disagree. Stations have their slants and the stories are shown that way.

CNN posts outrageous stories about politicians they do not like and conservative stations do it their way.

What is sad is that reporters are not acting in the best interests of America at a time of great trouble.
Completely disagree with your position. All news is political, CNN or Fox, all political, it just depends which party you follow as to what you watch and believe.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-10-2020, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

How does so many know so little.
They passed it on to their siblings and it sure shows
Old 07-10-2020, 06:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Completely disagree with your position. All news is political, CNN or Fox, all political, it just depends which party you follow as to what you watch and believe.
But the media decides what to cover and often only covers stories that allow them to do it according to their vieew.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:16 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

We stayed at a Holiday Express last night.
Closed Thread

Tags
responders, words, guess, block, archie

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.