How do you get your significant other to dance?

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2015, 07:43 PM
Default How do you get your significant other to dance?

Tonight, my husband and I went to our local senior center for line dancing lessons. I wanted to get ready for The Villages. Everyone was truly trying to be helpful, but they made my husband very self conscious about his dancing ability. After the first 15 minutes, he left the floor and started watching the clock. So, my question is, how do I ease him into learning to dance? Any advice on how to get him willing to learn...or just dance any old way? Should I just call it a losing battle? He's quite willing to humor me but that's not what I really want. I'd like him to actually enjoy it.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:02 PM
Platinum member

Does he dance at other venues? ....like weddings? If he NEVER dances, then I wouldn't hold my breath that he'll line dance. But if he will get on the dance floor during other events, he'll come around. My ex refused to dance EVER. Here in TV, no one cares what anyone else is doing on the dance floor. They just have fun.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:15 PM

Promise him happy times when you get home...
Old 07-14-2015, 08:30 PM

The last time he took dance lessons was for our wedding 10 years ago. The last time he danced with me--10 years ago. Hopeless, huh? I did promise to learn to play bridge, however, if he would learn line dancing.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:34 PM
Veteran member

Alcohol.....
Old 07-14-2015, 08:41 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Ok. I'll try and respond again since I'm sure I didn't say any thing offensive. I'm sure maybe when you guys arrive here He may be more comfortable when he sees the fun everybody's having and no one is judging his or your dancing. I think you will find people here very helpful and nonjudgemental. Come here and have fun.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:12 PM

I'm kind of in the same boat as your husband. I don't dance, but cc convinced me to try line dancing before we headed back North this Spring. It was a beginners class, although it was toward the tail end of a multi-week program, so a fair amount of knowledge was assumed by the instructor. Most of the time I was lost (and worse, I have trouble hearing in noisy environments so it was difficult to follow the instructions sometimes) but I did manage a few of the simpler steps. I'll probably give it another try, but I think it'd be best to start the beginner's class week 1. Maybe we all could go together. It's oddly comforting when you're not the only clueless one :-)
--
bc

P.S. cc also took me to to Irish dancing one night. That's fun to watch but seems WAY harder than line dancing (although there are some similarities). I don't think I'm going to do that again, but who knows, perhaps if I get reasonably competent at line dancing I might give it a go.

Last edited by rexxfan; 07-14-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:16 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Gin.

Actually it's a mood thing. Sounds funny, but I need to be in the mood to swing my junk. It's been easier in TV because everyone is having fun and no one is judging.

As soon as I see score card from the crowd, I'm done.

Good luck.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeagle65 View Post
Alcohol.....

I concur!
Old 07-14-2015, 10:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruannB View Post
Tonight, my husband and I went to our local senior center for line dancing lessons. I wanted to get ready for The Villages. Everyone was truly trying to be helpful, but they made my husband very self conscious about his dancing ability. After the first 15 minutes, he left the floor and started watching the clock. So, my question is, how do I ease him into learning to dance? Any advice on how to get him willing to learn...or just dance any old way? Should I just call it a losing battle? He's quite willing to humor me but that's not what I really want. I'd like him to actually enjoy it.
Before I moved here I thought I would have to learn to line dance because that is what I saw on the video. I don't line dance and never have and a lot of people don't. I wouldn't push him. It's supposed to be fun and if he isn't having fun then ....what's the point of it?
Old 07-14-2015, 10:19 PM
Veteran member

You have already won half the battle by getting him to attend one dance lesson. Wait until you get here before you attempt it again. Once he gets to the squares it will be easier to coax him to try again. Although, there's a lot of line dancing you two can do freestyles or slow dance until you can get him back to a class. Oh, and don't forget to keep your promise to learn to play Bridge.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:29 PM

After seeing the line dancing done at the squares I decided I wanted to give it a try. I went to the Chula Vista rec center on Thursdays afternoon for the beginners men's class. There must have been about 40 guys learning the basics....good class and I learned a few steps and have done some line dancing at the squares. He may be willing to go to this class.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:03 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Or he can sit and enjoy watching you dance. Think that's one of the reasons line dancing is so popular enough here -- no partner needed.

As to bridge, tell hubby he is making a huge mistake. Too many fights caused by couples playing together. The game is too addictive. If he's any good, not that hard to find partners here. However, if you really want to learn, our duplicate club gives free or low-cost lessons for both absolute beginners or those who haven't played in a long time. Shout out if you're really interested.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-15-2015, 05:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I don't dance and frankly, I resent people trying to get me to dance. I've tried int he past and I feel horribly uncomfortable and don't enjoy myself at all.

While I certainly understand people who dance and enjoy it, I cringe when I see people up on the dance floor trying to get all of the non dancers to join them. Honestly, go dance and have a good time, but leave me alone. What does it matter to you if someone else is dancing.

I really enjoy watching a band perform but I don't run up to the dance floor and drag people to the seats so they can enjoy what I'm enjoying.

I do get up and slow dance so I would always take the opportunity to make my wife happy during the slow songs.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I don't dance and frankly, I resent people trying to get me to dance. I've tried int he past and I feel horribly uncomfortable and don't enjoy myself at all.

While I certainly understand people who dance and enjoy it, I cringe when I see people up on the dance floor trying to get all of the non dancers to join them. Honestly, go dance and have a good time, but leave me alone. What does it matter to you if someone else is dancing.

I really enjoy watching a band perform but I don't run up to the dance floor and drag people to the seats so they can enjoy what I'm enjoying.

I do get up and slow dance so I would always take the opportunity to make my wife happy during the slow songs.
Closed Thread

Tags
dance, dancing, husband, ease, question, learning, learn, advice, clock, battle, enjoy, losing, call, watching, humor, lessons, line, center, wanted, ready, villages, senior, local, significant, tonight

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.