How do you use your microwave?

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2018, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

This thread got me to thinking, I did not realize just how much I use my microwave:

I slice onions, put them into a dish with a tablespoon of water, cover and microwave for two minutes, then fry. Best onions ever.

I do sliced peppers the same way - peppers and onions, yum.

Corn on the cob, two minute, then strip - the corn, not me!!!.

Baked potatoes - turn every minute for three minutes, wrap in foil to finish off.

Reheat whatever I need reheating.

I make strawberry puree, keep it in the fridge, nuke several tablespoons and serve over biscuits with cream - now that is really yum.

Chocolate sauce for ice cream.

So many ways to use your microwave and some great new ideas on this thread.

If you like left over pizza this is a great reheating idea: put your cold pizza into a warm fry pan, heat until the base is crispy, add two tablespoons water to pan and cover with lid. Let warm through. The finished pizza is almost as good as a new one.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-18-2018, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

We store stuff in it.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:06 PM

Microwave energy is part of the radio frequency spectrum. It does not disinfect anything. It is the heat that disinfects. So if you use a microwave and want to kill germs you will need to heat the item substantially enough for a sufficient time ? period to kill the bacteria in question. If you boil water the boiling water will kill germs (but not the microwave energy). Also a micrwave heats disproportionately within the oven so the warnings about cooking raw food are valid. Cooking must be sufficient to thoroughly heat the entire food product or cold spots may contain pockets of germs.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:11 PM
Sage

I call this "Potatoes Pas Pourri"

First of all contrary to popular web opinion I refrigerate my potatoes so they last longer.

This morning using the potato peeler and a fork to hold it I removed the skin and kept going until I had a pile of "shavings." I nuked them for a minute and put them in a hot skillet with onions, mushrooms, and less then a TB of oil "which was too much." They came out perfect. That One Minute nuke made a huge difference. I could have added peppers, ham or pork belly after the nuke too. [btw] Pork Bellies Futures are plummeting. If only they had longer legs. [i'm going to keep rewriting that joke until it works]
Old 05-05-2018, 12:21 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I call this "Potatoes Pas Pourri"

First of all contrary to popular web opinion I refrigerate my potatoes so they last longer.

This morning using the potato peeler and a fork to hold it I removed the skin and kept going until I had a pile of "shavings." I nuked them for a minute and put them in a hot skillet with onions, mushrooms, and less then a TB of oil "which was too much." They came out perfect. That One Minute nuke made a huge difference. I could have added peppers, ham or pork belly after the nuke too. [btw] Pork Bellies Futures are plummeting. If only they had longer legs. [i'm going to keep rewriting that joke until it works]
You sound like a very good cook ...not so great comedien
Old 05-05-2018, 12:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
You sound like a very good cook ...not so great comedien
I hope no one puts that on my tombstone. but thanks anyway
Old 05-05-2018, 12:40 PM
fw102807

Quote:
I hope no one puts that on my tombstone. but thanks anyway
My father was also a very good cook which I define as someone who does not need a recipe but has an inherent knowledge of how to prepare food. Unfortunately he did not pass this gene on to me so very good cook will not appear on mine and I doubt comedien will make it either.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
My father was also a very good cook which I define as someone who does not need a recipe but has an inherent knowledge of how to prepare food. Unfortunately he did not pass this gene on to me so very good cook will not appear on mine and I doubt comedien will make it either.
It's easier then ever to be a good cook. The hard part, most prone to error is knowing when it's done. A digital thermometer does the job if you get it in the center and the recipe and google tells you what the temp should be.

If you pm me your favorite dishes I will think of a way to make each one easy for you to cook and pm you the directions. Believe me, I will enjoy the challenge.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:09 PM
fw102807

Quote:
It's easier then ever to be a good cook. The hard part, most prone to error is knowing when it's done. A digital thermometer does the job if you get it in the center and the recipe and google tells you what the temp should be.

If you pm me your favorite dishes I will think of a way to make each one easy for you to cook and pm you the directions. Believe me, I will enjoy the challenge.
The problem that I have is that my husband has celiac disease so everything has to be gluten free. I just ordered a cook book for Gluten Free and Mediterranean Diet recipes because as Nucky once put it I am a few biscuits over weight.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
The problem that I have is that my husband has celiac disease so everything has to be gluten free. I just ordered a cook book for Gluten Free and Mediterranean Diet recipes because as Nucky once put it I am a few biscuits over weight.
Less then a year ago my son who is also a good cook and does most of the cooking was diagnosed with celiac. The book I sent him and highly recommend is the no gluten Book written by America's Test kitchen $7.98
The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook: Revolution Techniques. Groundbreaking Recipes by America's Test Kitchen, Paperback | Barnes & Noble(R).
It's a very scientific approach to cooking. They try different ingredients and methods until the panel says it's perfect. My son told me every recipe from that book was wonderful. He does a huge crockpot on sunday and they eat that all week. I couldn't do that.
I'm lucky. He visits me for a week and we cook. Making low calorie meals is easier taking gluten out of the equation. He frequently makes Shepard's Pie but I'm not sure what the calorie count is. So if you pm me your favorite meals and anything I come up with I will send to him.

it looks like i can download it for free---since that's too good to be true if someone knows how to find out if this is safe let me know---
Free Download The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook: Revolutionary Techniques. Groundbreaking Recipes. [PDF] Full Online by - America s Test Kitchen - PDF Free 21541

Last edited by tomwed; 05-05-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:29 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Less then a year ago my who is also a good cook and does most of the cooking was diagnosed with celiac. The book I sent him and highly recommend is the no gluten Book written by America's Test kitchen $7.98
The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook: Revolution Techniques. Groundbreaking Recipes by America's Test Kitchen, Paperback | Barnes & Noble(R).
It's a very scientific approach to cooking. They try different ingredients and methods until the panel says it's perfect. My son told me every recipe from that book was wonderful. He does a huge crockpot on sunday and they eat that all week. I couldn't do that.
I'm lucky. He visits me for a week and we cook. Making low calorie meals is easier taking gluten out of the equation. He frequently makes Shepard's Pie but I'm not sure what the calorie count is. So if you pm me your favorite meals and anything I come up with I will send to him.
Thanks, I will look into that book and think about my favorite meals. I do love Moussaka so you can start with that.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks, I will look into that book and think about my favorite meals. I do love Moussaka so you can start with that.
I found this. I don't think I can make this any easier.

2 eggplants diced
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion chopped finely
4 clove garlic sliced
1 teaspoon sea salt
5 large tomatoes – skinned and deseeded
2 tablespoons tomato purée
1 cup water
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
2 tablespoons fresh mint – finely chopped
1 can cooked chickpeas – drained
PREPARATION
Add the eggplant to a large baking tray and toss them in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Roast on for 30 minutes until browned.
Add the remaining oil to a large pan and add in the onion, fry on a low to medium heat until soft and slightly browning. Add the garlic and cook for a further few minutes.
Next add the tomatoes, tomato purée, paprika, eggplant, and chickpeas. Cook for approximately 20 minutes. Add water if needed. Finally season with salt and the fresh mint.

Maybe sub 5 large tomatoes to a 26 oz? can of roasted tomatoes
I'm not fond of mint--so I would skip this.
Chickpeas are also known as garbanzo beans which is the key ingredient in humus
I'm going to make this but I'll cut everything in half. It won't freeze well and I don't want to eat it all week.
If you are not in a hurry you can do like they do in cooking shows and put each measure ingredient in a bowl and line the bowls up in order.
I love eggplant and it's cheap at Aldi's.

At the farmers market you can find Chinese Eggplant------it looks like a long purple cucumber and has no seeds. Slice it in half inch slices, nuke it for a minute or so, using a paper towel squeeze them dryer, stir fry and when it's almost done`, it might brown a little, throw in some garlic, 1 TB of soy sauce, a drip or 4 of hot sauce, 1 TB or less of honey, AND cooked defrosted shrimp to keep it simple.
Before you serve it, taste it. You don't need to cook it anymore but you can add a little more of the seasoning and taste each time until you like it.

Last edited by tomwed; 05-05-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:08 PM
fw102807

Quote:

At the farmers market you can find Chinese Eggplant------it looks like a long purple cucumber and has no seeds. Slice it in half inch slices, nuke it for a minute or so, using a paper towel squeeze them dryer, stir fry and when it's almost done throw in some garlic, 1 TB of soy sauce, a drip or 4 of hot sauce, 1 TB or less of honey, AND cooked defrosted shrimp to keep it simple.
Thanks, I love eggplant also but did not know about the Chinese eggplant. I will try the Moussaka (with the mint) and also the dish with the shrimp, that sounds really good also.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks, I love eggplant also but did not know about the Chinese eggplant. I will try the Moussaka (with the mint) and also the dish with the shrimp, that sounds really good also.
read it again---i may have added more
Old 05-05-2018, 02:20 PM
fw102807

Quote:
read it again---i may have added more
and now I have to print it again
Closed Thread

Tags
zap, pan, seconds, italian, sausage--i

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.