How does the turnpike work?

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
Get rid of google maps. Use WAZE
OP said Siri, not Google.

Additionally, Google Maps is every bit as good as Waze and has the added benefit of showing walking and bike routes (which is great for using to get around the villages on golf cart). No need to switch between two map apps.

I gave Waze a shot for a few trips and didn't like it - back to Google Maps.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I didn't read thru every post as I normally would. If you get a ticket/fine for not paying your toll just send a check-in with a letter stating that to avoid an accident you went into the wrong lane on purpose. Chances are very great that will end your dilemma.

It happened just like that for real twice to me in NJ. I reported it in an apologetic letter and I was off the hook. Siri & the wife's directions are a dangerous combination indeed.

Don't worry about being confused, it's normal around these parts. It will be interesting to see if you get a summons in about a month. Best of luck.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:46 PM

Log into the Sun Pass System and pay for your pass thru. This is not a big thing. Then get yourself a transponder for your vehicle. Set it up and it is no longer an issue. If you are using toll roads east of Illinois and around Chicago get the new Sun Pass Pro. You are covered all over the country in Ill and east.
Old 06-27-2021, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

If you follow signs You pay at toll booths and may pay when you exit off toll road depending on where you exit? If you drive through without sun pass or any pass that works you will get ticket in mail and of course lots more than 3.75 or 4 dollar and .75 or bucks 1.50 exit toll. Not big fan of passes due they have credit card information and can up charge at will. Big problem with contractor couple years overcharging. It don’t bother me bit to pay toll manually the few times I have to go to Orlando. Now if I had to travel everyday that would be different. Last time when to Orlando was 11 months to. So I don’t use toll roads that often.
Old 06-27-2021, 05:54 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,706 Times in 761 Posts

Get an uni transponder from Amazon. Works in all states and gets rid of the monthly fee ez pass charges
Old 06-27-2021, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Get an uni transponder from Amazon. Works in all states and gets rid of the monthly fee ez pass charges
EZ pass doesn't charge any monthly fee. Neither does SunPass. Both passes work similarly to loaded debit cards. You load money into the account, and it deducts whatever you spend going through tolls. It will also auto-load a minimum amount if you go under that amount.

So if you have it loaded at $20, and you set your minimum to $10, and you go through $11 worth of tolls, it'll automatically reload up to $20 again and charge your credit card for the balance.

If you don't use the pass for a few months, nothing happens at all. Whatever you have loaded onto the pass just sits there waiting for the next time you use it.

My question though, to anyone who might know:

I have the SunPass sticker on my windshield. I got it before EZPass was accepted on all roads in Florida. I ALSO have an EZPass from Delaware or Maryland (I don't remember which at the moment, it's one of them). Both of these have credit on them.

I keep my EZ Pass in the glove compartment since I do most of my driving within Florida.

But if I wanted to use up the credit I have with EZPass, while I'm in Florida, is there a way to do that, while I have that SunPass window sticker transponder?
Old 06-27-2021, 07:56 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieOn View Post
R u sure it’s free?.. why did I pay $15. At Publix to get the last one because they are in high demand now that they just came out. These can be used in participating various states.
You bought the new Sunpass Pro portable transponder which can be used both in Florida and several other States. If you only need Sunpass in Florida, buy the $5 transponder windshield stick on.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben franklin View Post
we used the turnpike recently to go to orlando. It was the first time i used the turnpike in the 30 years i have lived in florida. I am used to the old fashion "get a ticket" at the start, and then hand it in at the end of your ride, along with your money. However, there were no ticket booths when we got on the turnpike from 301.

Since i was using google maps with siri, for directions, she gave us a wrong direction. Siri said left, my wife said right, but it was too late and i just followed siri's lead. As i did veer left, i went through what looked like a camera capture lane, and then had to quickly get in my right lane, where there was no camera capture, which was the lane my wife had shouted, for me to take, at the last minute. Then, a mile or two up the road, i paid a toll with cash. I didn't know how they calculated how much i owed, but i figured that maybe they just have toll booths every so often, and that's what you pay. However, now i'm wondering if that camera capture lane, which siri directed me to, will also send me another bill? And, if they do i guess there is no "siri" recourse for not having to pay that one? Confused? So am i.
stop driving take a van
Old 06-28-2021, 05:38 AM

Wow! You’ve been driving exclusively on small roads and goat trails in Florida for 30 years! I remember the old computer card toll system. The computer card system must have gone away many decades ago! The manned toll booths are gone or going away, just like the street corner telephone booths!

It’s a no brainer to get a SunPass toll transponder. I hate the new ugly bright green SunPass design. I wish they still sold the less loud colored SunPass mini transponders.

You get a discount on the tolls using the SunPass. For example, the Sunshine Skybridge that connects St Petersburg to the south costs $1.50 cash, but only $1.07 with the SunPass. I don’t know if the EZ pass offers the same discount.

Once in awhile, there are miles of cars lined up to pay the cash tolls on the Sunshine Skybridge. You can avoid the hassles of waiting in line in the cash lanes. Avoid the hassles of carrying a pile of coins in your car, and get a discount on the tolls. Plus you can avoid being charged the administration fee. So, it’s a no brainer to get the toll transponder. But I still see tons of cars in the cash lanes. Some people never learn!

We’re averaging a little under $10 a month in tolls. If we lived in the Orlando area, it would probably be at least $100 a month, because Orlando has so many toll roads. We opened the SunPass account with about $30, and later added $100. It’s a lot less hassle to add $100, since the balance will last a long time, on the roads we normally travel.

I suggest if you can’t figure out how to setup your SunPass online account or SunPass toll transponder, then find a tech savvy person to help you get started. Then start the SunPass account with $100, to make the balance last longer. You can also periodically check your balance on your smart cellphone or computer. You’ll get a reminder email when your balance gets low.

We drove through southern Illinois a couple months ago. The manned toll booths were there on the trip up north, but gone on the trip back south. It’s the sign of the times. But the brain dead State of Illinois government didn’t bother to put their Internet URL address on their signs, to pay the toll online. But a quick search found the State of Illinois toll payment website, which made up for the lack of intelligence from the State of Illinois government people in charge of the toll system, which failed to post the website payment Internet address on the signs around the toll plaza.

After you get setup with the SunPass system, you’ll have less hassles in your life, and you’ll save some of your hard earned money.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:50 AM

Go to Walgreens. Get a sunpass mini. 5$. To home and google sunpass and create an account on the Sunpass web site load your cars information and the number on the Sunpass mini. It gives you an option to link your license plate. Do it. Load a bank account or credit card to draw money out of when you travel on the turnpike and pass a toll area. It works at the parking areas at the airport. The mini also saves you 25% on your tolls. I have been traveling to MCO for years. Once it is set up it’s so easy. It’s good in Georgia and North Carolina.. my understanding they are getting rid of all toll plazas and going to a plate system.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:21 AM

EZ Pass does not work here.
Florida uses toll by plate, any state.
You will get a bill for the tolls at full price, or you can pick up the Sunpass when you receive the bill for tolls. They waive the extra fees and discount your tolls.
worth it.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by butlerism View Post
Florida uses toll by plate, any state.
You will get a bill for the tolls at full price, or you can pick up the Sunpass when you receive the bill for tolls. They waive the extra fees and discount your tolls.
worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	925A0A49-29FF-4835-A139-5A2920F95C6C.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	89953  
Old 06-28-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butlerism View Post
Your information is out of date.
Old 06-28-2021, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiltongrizz11 View Post
EZ Pass Now works in Florida and all the eastern states. No need for snowbirds to get two
Not all eastern states. Google "EZ pass states list".
Old 07-03-2021, 12:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Wow! You’ve been driving exclusively on small roads and goat trails in Florida for 30 years! I remember the old computer card toll system. The computer card system must have gone away many decades ago! The manned toll booths are gone or going away, just like the street corner telephone booths!

It’s a no brainer to get a SunPass toll transponder. I hate the new ugly bright green SunPass design. I wish they still sold the less loud colored SunPass mini transponders.

You get a discount on the tolls using the SunPass. For example, the Sunshine Skybridge that connects St Petersburg to the south costs $1.50 cash, but only $1.07 with the SunPass. I don’t know if the EZ pass offers the same discount.

Once in awhile, there are miles of cars lined up to pay the cash tolls on the Sunshine Skybridge. You can avoid the hassles of waiting in line in the cash lanes. Avoid the hassles of carrying a pile of coins in your car, and get a discount on the tolls. Plus you can avoid being charged the administration fee. So, it’s a no brainer to get the toll transponder. But I still see tons of cars in the cash lanes. Some people never learn!

We’re averaging a little under $10 a month in tolls. If we lived in the Orlando area, it would probably be at least $100 a month, because Orlando has so many toll roads. We opened the SunPass account with about $30, and later added $100. It’s a lot less hassle to add $100, since the balance will last a long time, on the roads we normally travel.

I suggest if you can’t figure out how to setup your SunPass online account or SunPass toll transponder, then find a tech savvy person to help you get started. Then start the SunPass account with $100, to make the balance last longer. You can also periodically check your balance on your smart cellphone or computer. You’ll get a reminder email when your balance gets low.

We drove through southern Illinois a couple months ago. The manned toll booths were there on the trip up north, but gone on the trip back south. It’s the sign of the times. But the brain dead State of Illinois government didn’t bother to put their Internet URL address on their signs, to pay the toll online. But a quick search found the State of Illinois toll payment website, which made up for the lack of intelligence from the State of Illinois government people in charge of the toll system, which failed to post the website payment Internet address on the signs around the toll plaza.

After you get setup with the SunPass system, you’ll have less hassles in your life, and you’ll save some of your hard earned money.
Routes 75, 4, 95, 10 the turnpike doesn't go anywhere near southwest, FL. Yes, I will get a Sunpass.

Tags
lane, turnpike, siri, capture, camera

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.