How does the turnpike work?

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2021, 11:55 AM
Veteran member
Default How does the turnpike work?

We used the turnpike recently to go to Orlando. It was the first time I used the turnpike in the 30 years I have lived in Florida. I am used to the old fashion "get a ticket" at the start, and then hand it in at the end of your ride, along with your money. However, there were no ticket booths when we got on the turnpike from 301.

Since I was using Google Maps with Siri, for directions, she gave us a wrong direction. Siri said left, my wife said right, but it was too late and I just followed Siri's lead. As I did veer left, I went through what looked like a camera capture lane, and then had to quickly get in my right lane, where there was no camera capture, which was the lane my wife had shouted, for me to take, at the last minute. Then, a mile or two up the road, I paid a toll with cash. I didn't know how they calculated how much I owed, but I figured that maybe they just have toll booths every so often, and that's what you pay. However, now I'm wondering if that camera capture lane, which Siri directed me to, will also send me another bill? And, if they do I guess there is no "Siri" recourse for not having to pay that one? Confused? So am I.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

I can’t tell what they will do, but I think you have to actually go through the toll booth area before they charge you. They may charge you again, and there’s not much you can do about it. It’s not like it’s a bajillion dollars.

You may want to consider buying a SunPass at your nearest retail location, then go online and load some money onto it.

That way, you just need to look for the big sign over the toll booths that say SunPass. I had to laugh, because my husband and I have had that same last minute frantic discussion about which lane to get into.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

You pay on Exit.
Or.
At toll booth across Turnpike, where it is Sun Pass one side, usually left, or cash to the right.
Open pay booths have green lights.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:37 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

E pass is free. Sign up on line
Old 06-26-2021, 08:12 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

First, get Sunpass. Second, your plate was captured and expect a letter with the bill. Third, the Turnpike is getting rid of manned toll booths in favor of Toll By Plate and Sunpass. Sunpass is cheaper.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
We used the turnpike recently to go to Orlando. It was the first time I used the turnpike in the 30 years I have lived in Florida. I am used to the old fashion "get a ticket" at the start, and then hand it in at the end of your ride, along with your money. However, there were no ticket booths when we got on the turnpike from 301.

Since I was using Google Maps with Siri, for directions, she gave us a wrong direction. Siri said left, my wife said right, but it was too late and I just followed Siri's lead. As I did veer left, I went through what looked like a camera capture lane, and then had to quickly get in my right lane, where there was no camera capture, which was the lane my wife had shouted, for me to take, at the last minute. Then, a mile or two up the road, I paid a toll with cash. I didn't know how they calculated how much I owed, but I figured that maybe they just have toll booths every so often, and that's what you pay. However, now I'm wondering if that camera capture lane, which Siri directed me to, will also send me another bill? And, if they do I guess there is no "Siri" recourse for not having to pay that one? Confused? So am I.
You're billed according to the determination of various cameras along the route. Not all entrances will have a toll. But never fear - they'll catch you along the way at some point, and they'll add that camera's capture to the bill at the end of the month.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:42 AM

R u sure it’s free?.. why did I pay $15. At Publix to get the last one because they are in high demand now that they just came out. These can be used in participating various states.
Old 06-27-2021, 05:30 AM

I just marvel that you have lived here for 30 years and are now just getting around to using the Florida Turnpike. Not trying to be snarky ..... just amazed since it is one of the primary North-South thoroughfares. As a previous poster noted, your license was captured by camera and they will bill you by mail. If, as you said, you paid a cash toll a mile or 2 ahead of the cameras, I have to imagine you exited the turnpike and paid a small toll for that short distance.
Old 06-27-2021, 05:36 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

They are doing away with toll collectors. We had an ezpass but only certain portions of the road can charge that way. Got rid of it and now have a uni which works in all of Florida and 17 other states. You will get a bill for the toll and an administration fee of $2.50 for each toll you go through. Not a good value for me. The uni costs $15. The epass xtra has been discontinued but will be honored. Epass is still available and sunpass is too. Check out the differences between them but they are more similar than different.
Old 06-27-2021, 05:40 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:

The cards will be obsolete shortly as will the stop and pay booths. If you dont have a sun pass, then the other lanes just capture your plate number and youre sent a bill. Simple
Old 06-27-2021, 05:53 AM
Default Turnpike

Quote:

They mail you a bill and it’s pretty expensive. Mine was $10+.
Old 06-27-2021, 05:56 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:

That’s a good defense in traffic court “Siri” told me.
Old 06-27-2021, 05:57 AM
Veteran member
Default Don't worry about it

Other people with a lot of tried to describe what is going on. In Florida as you may realize it's a lot different than living in New York or Jersey where their means sobs. In my 20 plus years of dealing with politicians, tax collectors, and toll collectors here, they've all been nice and tried to be fair with me. If I were you and you get a bill, you can call the number on the bill and talk to somebody on the other side. We are all human beings and make mistakes. You may want to get on the computer and also read the turnpike / highway authority website a little bit. The prices per mile are really pretty fair, and we go from Leesburg to the airport several times a year as well as going to restaurants in Orlando which is pretty fast and luckily for us the turnpike usually is never crowded like route 4 in Jersey or the West side highway in Manhattan . Enjoy life and explore Florida you'll be very glad you did
Old 06-27-2021, 06:04 AM

If you moved here from any of the 18 states that use E-Z Pass, you can continue using it in Florida. Reference here.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:07 AM
Default Sad goodbye to the toll collector

I recall reading an article in the Sun a year or so ago when the changes went into full swing. Due to safety concerns with the collectors, maintenance of the equipment and efficiency of the system, the new process was inevitable. The "Pay by the Plate" fee is 15 - 25% higher than the SunPass/E-Pass rate, but they will track you down (personal experience) with a great picture of your license plate! I think all occupied toll booths are supposed to be eliminated by the end of this year. There may even be an article or a link on the SunPass website that explains it better.
Closed Thread

Tags
lane, turnpike, siri, capture, camera

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.