How does the turnpike work?

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
They are doing away with toll collectors. We had an ezpass but only certain portions of the road can charge that way. Got rid of it and now have a uni which works in all of Florida and 17 other states. You will get a bill for the toll and an administration fee of $2.50 for each toll you go through. Not a good value for me. The uni costs $15. The epass xtra has been discontinued but will be honored. Epass is still available and sunpass is too. Check out the differences between them but they are more similar than different.
EZ Pass Now works in Florida and all the eastern states. No need for snowbirds to get two
Old 06-27-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
We used the turnpike recently to go to Orlando. It was the first time I used the turnpike in the 30 years I have lived in Florida. I am used to the old fashion "get a ticket" at the start, and then hand it in at the end of your ride, along with your money. However, there were no ticket booths when we got on the turnpike from 301.

Since I was using Google Maps with Siri, for directions, she gave us a wrong direction. Siri said left, my wife said right, but it was too late and I just followed Siri's lead. As I did veer left, I went through what looked like a camera capture lane, and then had to quickly get in my right lane, where there was no camera capture, which was the lane my wife had shouted, for me to take, at the last minute. Then, a mile or two up the road, I paid a toll with cash. I didn't know how they calculated how much I owed, but I figured that maybe they just have toll booths every so often, and that's what you pay. However, now I'm wondering if that camera capture lane, which Siri directed me to, will also send me another bill? And, if they do I guess there is no "Siri" recourse for not having to pay that one? Confused? So am I.
Sunpass is also handy at Orlando and Tampa airports (and perhaps others) for paying your parking fee by just driving through the Sunpass exit. We used Sunpass a lot more often when we wintered in Lakeland but even in TV its handy for the turnpike and the airports. WRT your question, we had a similar situation in one of the Eastern States. When we got home I went on the State site for EZPass or whatever it was, and was able to pay the tiny toll fee without the admin charge. Sunpass has a similar system. Go to their website https://www.sunpass.com/vector/invoi...oiceInquiry.do and click on Pay Without and Invoice or Citation. It will ask for your plate number and Zipcode. I have not had to do it, but it looks like it will save you the $2.50 admin charge. None of this is big money, but its irritating to pay an admin fee that may be larger than the toll that you owe. .... and as other posters have said, consider getting a Sunpass, its about five bucks for the one that sticks on your windshield. A nuisance when you buy a new car, but really pretty inexpensive.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:27 AM

Google “Open Road Tolling.” It’ll explain the national trend to automated toll collection (plus history and mechanics). All toll systems are going this way.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:50 AM

You will get a small toll invoice/picture of your tag/car going through the toll area in the mail at the address where your tag number is registered. Letter / invoice will tell you how to pay it online. Piece of cake.
Then go to Epass online to establish an account that will cover everything in the future including Sunpass. The little stickers for inside the windshield in front of your rear view mirror are free. That is all you need. Keep about 20 to 30 dollars in your account and you will have no problems in the future. The pay by camera/invoice is more expensive.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
We used the turnpike recently to go to Orlando. It was the first time I used the turnpike in the 30 years I have lived in Florida. I am used to the old fashion "get a ticket" at the start, and then hand it in at the end of your ride, along with your money. However, there were no ticket booths when we got on the turnpike from 301.

Since I was using Google Maps with Siri, for directions, she gave us a wrong direction. Siri said left, my wife said right, but it was too late and I just followed Siri's lead. As I did veer left, I went through what looked like a camera capture lane, and then had to quickly get in my right lane, where there was no camera capture, which was the lane my wife had shouted, for me to take, at the last minute. Then, a mile or two up the road, I paid a toll with cash. I didn't know how they calculated how much I owed, but I figured that maybe they just have toll booths every so often, and that's what you pay. However, now I'm wondering if that camera capture lane, which Siri directed me to, will also send me another bill? And, if they do I guess there is no "Siri" recourse for not having to pay that one? Confused? So am I.
It’s pay by plate if you don’t have sun pass / E pass to use. You will get a bill in the mail, advise extra charges since they had to process manually.

Last edited by LucyP; 06-27-2021 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Change words
Old 06-27-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieOn View Post
R u sure it’s free?.. why did I pay $15. At Publix to get the last one because they are in high demand now that they just came out. These can be used in participating various states.
You will get the Sunpass Pro, good for all States - similar to the Easy Pass. The Sunpass Pro will also allow payment of some parking fees, airport etc.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:10 AM

Get yourself a surpass at a CVS ($20), after you get it go online to sunpass.com register your device and put in a credit card number, this allows FDOT to automatically charge you when you use tolls.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:16 AM
Platinum member

Get rid of google maps. Use WAZE
Old 06-27-2021, 08:43 AM

They get pictures of license plate from behind and online it saids if you get off at exit without right change they will send you a payment envelope for the cost of what toll you missed and a $2.50 service fee. So not all that bad a fine if you go thru a toll. But the SUNPASS is great.
SunPasses are many times sold out at rest stop stores and many locations so.....
May I suggest, if you like to travel to Orlando or around the state or 3 other Southern states, you getting the portable receiver one you can take from car to car. It’s like $25 one time to purchase, then you load an amount on it and attach it to a charge card and it loads addition money to receiver account when it runs out. Only one place to get that portable receiver near Villages is the SUN PASS CUSTOMER SERVICE CENTER in Ocoee, Florida. They help you load it onto your phone and do the autopay re-Charge. For us it is very convenient so we can travel anywhere and not think about slowing down and getting cash out.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

Simple advice: Get a Sunpass and dump Siri.
I adhere to the KISS theory.
It works!
Old 06-27-2021, 09:39 AM

You can use the sun pass toll
calculator ( just goggle it ) it tells you how much it costs from point A-B and let’s let’s you know how much you are charged and how much you save by using the sun pass
Old 06-27-2021, 09:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie66 View Post
I just marvel that you have lived here for 30 years and are now just getting around to using the Florida Turnpike. Not trying to be snarky ..... just amazed since it is one of the primary North-South thoroughfares. As a previous poster noted, your license was captured by camera and they will bill you by mail. If, as you said, you paid a cash toll a mile or 2 ahead of the cameras, I have to imagine you exited the turnpike and paid a small toll for that short distance.
I lived in southwest, FL. No part of the turnpike came near there. I guess I'll have to wait until the end of the month to see if I was charged.
Old 06-27-2021, 09:56 AM

Your correct in what you paid.
Old 06-27-2021, 10:00 AM
Veteran member

Thanks everyone. It looks like I'll be getting SunPass for my car.
Old 06-27-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
I can’t tell what they will do, but I think you have to actually go through the toll booth area before they charge you. They may charge you again, and there’s not much you can do about it. It’s not like it’s a bajillion dollars.

You may want to consider buying a SunPass at your nearest retail location, then go online and load some money onto it.

That way, you just need to look for the big sign over the toll booths that say SunPass. I had to laugh, because my husband and I have had that same last minute frantic discussion about which lane to get into.
SUNPASS is very convenient!
Closed Thread

Tags
lane, turnpike, siri, capture, camera

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.