How likely are you to purchase an Electric Vehicle?

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2022, 07:57 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,198 Times in 326 Posts
Default How likely are you to purchase an Electric Vehicle?

With all the news re Electric vehicles, how likely are YOU to purchase one? If not, why not?

For me, our 5 year old gas vehicle is perfectly fine for many many years. And at our tax rate cannot use any Tax Credit to lower price. But if our situation changed I would consider.

Last edited by Tvflguy; 08-08-2022 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Zero chance
Old 08-08-2022, 08:05 AM

I have had a Hybrid for 2 years now, and I have been happy with it. It's a Toyota Highlander and its the same drive train they use in all of their Hybrids. I get between 30-36 mpg and have been able to get about 500 miles on a tank of gas. Better in town than on the highway, as with most Hybrids. My biggest issue with Electric Vehicles has been range, they need to resolve this or find a faster way of charging a vehicle. If you plan to take a trip with an Electric Vehicle you will likely need to alter your driving habits. When we travel, we try to do Iron Butt, in other words we go until we get there with stops for gas, bio breaks and food, but we tend to eat in the car. Can't do that with an Electric, 300-400 miles stop and recharge. Depending on your recharge time you may only be able to do this a couple of times a day. It would also be nice to understand the cost and how long the batteries last as well. Still very new.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:09 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Would only purchase if close to price of gas powered vehicles. Recently bought a Corolla Cross, which I love, and getting over 33mph.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:22 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

A couple weeks ago I ordered a 2023 BMW X5 M50i which should be delivered in two or three months so not for a while. I need range and quick refueling so I am sticking with gasoline for now. Hybrids are a great option IMHO. My brother has had a Lexus R450h for a few years. He and his wife reside in Arizona and take long road trips all over the western US so this vehicle works out very well for them.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 08-08-2022 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:41 AM

Zero chance.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

For us to consider one, the following would need to apply:

- it would have to be economical relative to other options, including initial cost, fuel, and long term expenses including battery replacement, and expected service life
- it would need to have both the range and refueling speed of a gas vehicle as well as widespread availability of refueling locations when traveling
- it would need to have significant ground clearance, either 4WD or AWD capability, and the ability to tow a heavy load
- in the event the vehicle got stuck In traffic/congestion for extended periods of time, it would need to have the ability to run the HVAC system (heat or A/C) for extended periods of time without rapidly exhausting the fuel source
- any vehicle would never be considered with self driving features, electronic tracking devices, or other obnoxious electronic features that take control away from the vehicle operator
- it would have to be made by someone other than the Muskrat of Elon

So in conclusion, it appears there is a zero chance in my lifetime.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,026 Times in 5,325 Posts

When we can drive say 600 miles and are confident we can charge battery as quickly as we can fill up with gas we might be a customer.

No patience on long trip to wait in line for a charge or wait for long time while fully charging
Old 08-08-2022, 08:43 AM
Veteran member

I would purchase an EV, but only for local use. I know the "It's only an hour and you have to stop anyway on long trips" crowd doesn't find it an inconvenience to wait on a long trip, but it's not time I'm willing to waste.

It also wouldn't be the vehicle I would use if we ever get Hurricane evacuation. Yes, I know "but gas can't be had either in a hurricane" or "We never get bad hurricanes around here", both of which are predicated on poor planning and lack of respect for mother nature.

There is also the green that keep pushing for unreliable solar and wind, to the point that you get edicts like in California "don't charge your EV after you get home from work" or whatever.

I think they are great for local operation and the sheer lack of maintenance. There's also that whole toxic mining of Lithium thing going on that probably shouldn't be encouraged though.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

I typically keep cars for several years, so an electric vehicle is out of the question until they come out with a universal battery. I have seen a couple of stories recently where the manufacturer decided to stop production of replacement batteries. I have a 1966 car that i can still get every part, most are new, a few NOS, and the rest used.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

When the EV support structure is as available as gasoline powered vehicles...
Old 08-08-2022, 08:47 AM
Veteran member

My wife gets 35+ mpg on her Honda Fit. I still don't trust electric cars. I have been reading articles about what it takes to make the batteries. Disturbing, if true. Maybe in fifteen years when they have sufficient charging stations I might consider it. Whoops, 15 years, I won't be around, and if I am, I won't be driving.

Last edited by bilcon; 08-08-2022 at 08:47 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-08-2022, 08:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,961 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
With all the news re Electric vehicles, how likely are YOU to purchase one? If not, why not?

For me, our 5 year old gas vehicle is perfectly fine for many many years. And at our tax rate cannot use any Tax Credit to lower price. But if our situation changed I would consider.
Currently I have a 2022 Toyota Carolla and can boast on out trip Villages to Westerly Ri 20 gallons of gas 1350 miles all highway 67.5 mpg. Consistently this summer traveling in New Enhland 65mpg. Probably our next vehicle will be a plugin hybrid. There are plenty of recharge stations all over.
If our world was just The Villages to Tampa and Orlando we would have just an EV.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:59 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

I purchased a new 2020 Honda CRV Hybrid touring that is a little bit heavy and large yet still gets about 37 to 39 miles per gallon of regular gas. There is no delay or hesitation when moving forward from a stop sign for the engine to start as it starts in electric mood.
All electric may be the future but not yet for me.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:22 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post

Most likely not, until they can come up with a better battery. Todays battery have recycling issues and the mining of cobalt is yet another issue

Tags
purchase, electric, choose, vehicles, news

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.