How to lock a fence gate

Closed Thread
Old 10-04-2019, 07:21 AM
Default How to lock a fence gate

We have a CYV and so, we have a solid "door" (gate) beside the house with a latch on it which is access to the back yard.

We have 2 large dogs that love to run and explore.

We frequently to in and out through that side gate/door.

We would prefer that neighbor grand kids, or utility service people not be able to open that gate without us.

My first thought was to get a lock. But, that kind of sucks because if we lock it on the inside, and are trying to get in, we can't reach it, and if we lock it on the outside, and are trying to take the dogs for a walk, we can't reach it.

We frequently go out without our keys and count on being able to get back in through that gate.

Suggestions?
Old 10-04-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
We have a CYV and so, we have a solid "door" (gate) beside the house with a latch on it which is access to the back yard.

We have 2 large dogs that love to run and explore.

We frequently to in and out through that side gate/door.

We would prefer that neighbor grand kids, or utility service people not be able to open that gate without us.

My first thought was to get a lock. But, that kind of sucks because if we lock it on the inside, and are trying to get in, we can't reach it, and if we lock it on the outside, and are trying to take the dogs for a walk, we can't reach it.

We frequently go out without our keys and count on being able to get back in through that gate.

Suggestions?
We went through this as well! The solution that worked well for us, albeit we have a corner unit so we don’t share our gate. Installed a mag lock with a exit button on the inside a the outside works on our remotes. Amazon sells the whole kit for $125.

Really easy to install and you could even run on a small solar cell if desired.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	99D2EB95-DA3E-4276-BC4C-C73BEBAD9F94.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	81158  
Old 10-04-2019, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,009 Times in 1,737 Posts

I’ve been looking at Yardlock keyless gate combination lock for my garden up north sold by Amazon. Right now I have an outside combination lock with a long shackle installed near the top of the gate which I can reach from both sides.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,050 Times in 2,740 Posts

If you want to keep it simple, just put a latch accesable from the inside and only use that when you are home and then put a master lock on the outside that you only use when you are away. Master Lock makes a combination lock I really like as an older person that you don't need to wear cheaters to open. The lock has a disc in the middle that slides up, Dow, left, and right. You can program the lock to open in any sequence of four disc slides, a blind person could do it very easy. Then you don't have to carry a key.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Take your dogs out through the garage and take a garage door opener with you. That's what most people do. Put a lock on the gate from outside. No one needs to enter your backyard without your permission. You can have Romac install a keypad on the outside of the garage.
Closed Thread

Tags
gate, frequently, back, lock, fence

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.