How long should AC compressor last?

Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2018, 08:24 AM
Gold member
Default How long should AC compressor last?

How long should the compressor last on a AC system?

My home almost never gets to the temperature that I set although (oddly) it doesn’t run constantly either.

The problem presents especially on hot days—no surprise.

The room temperature on the thermostat agrees with two other thermometers.

If it matters, 3/2 courtyard villa. Sun-facing windows have blinds and lanai has awning.

If I have to replace the compressor, what is a reasonable pirice?

TIA.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post

My home almost never gets to the temperature that I set although (oddly) it doesn’t run constantly either.

If it matters, 3/2 courtyard villa. Sun-facing windows have blinds and lanai has awning.

TIA.
Could be you have a freon leak, just like a car it will blow warm air or a bad thermostat. My last home the Carrier compressor died after 13 years, I've heard they generally last between 10 and 15 years. That was in 2011 and I paid $3500 for a new compressor and inside air handler, that was in Baltimore. I would call Chuck Farrel A/C at 352-787-9497. He's the best and won't rip you off. If you don't believe me, just do a search on this site. Compressors and a new air handler with Chuck I've read are about $4,000 with the other dealers somewhere around $5000 to $6000.

Last edited by John_W; 05-05-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:01 AM
Sage

I suggest you call an HVAC contractor and have them check out the system.

Quote:

TIA.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:23 PM
Gold member

Old 05-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:

TIA.
The compressor is warranted for 5 years and it should last about 10-15 years. On a hot day, turn on the AC and check the exposed copper part of the black insulated copper pipe connected to the outside unit. It should be cold to the touch and sweating. If it is, then the compressor is working. But, either way, you need to call an AC expert. The compressor is the most expensive part of your AC system. If it is bad, it is usually not worth replacing just the compressor. It's better to replace the entire outside unit, and possibly the inside unit also if the system is very old.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 05-05-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Our unit lasted 19 years, Chuck Ferrell replaced Rheem with American Standard, $4600 after rebate.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:

TIA.
Do you have a humidity control?

If so, is it all the way to 'ON?'

If not, give that a try...before calling anyone.

Don't ask me how I know this.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:56 PM
Sage

With humidistat functionality (humidity control), the system should still honor the temperature set point. What often happens is you will actually get below the temperature set point in an attempt to meet the humidity set point. Typical values are 2-3 degrees below the temperature set point, YMMV. He should still be calling a professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Do you have a humidity control?

If so, is it all the way to 'ON?'

If not, give that a try...before calling anyone.

Don't ask me how I know this.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
With humidistat functionality (humidity control), the system should still honor the temperature set point. What often happens is you will actually get below the temperature set point in an attempt to meet the humidity set point. Typical values are 2-3 degrees below the temperature set point, YMMV. He should still be calling a professional.
He may very well have to call a professional, but had I previously known the humidistat had to be all the way to 'ON' (it was set to about 20% for at least a year with no problems)...I could have saved the cost of a service call.

It's a very quick, easy thing to check and do...and could potentially solve his issue.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 05-05-2018 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Looked at humidistat control...had wrong %.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:08 PM
Sage

I believe the OP stated that the system could not meet the temperature set point. With a properly functioning system, whether the humidity control is enabled (or not) should not impact whether the temperature set point is met. There could be any of a number of things wrong with his system. Instead of speculating and fiddling around he should, IMO, get a professional in to take a look. Depending on what system he has (and if it actually does have humidistat functionality) he may need to go into the service menu to check on the status and change it. I believe most homeowners should avoid going into the service menus. I go into my service menu occasionally but I RTFM. I would guess that he hasn't had the system looked at in some time. Periodic checkups are a good idea.

Quote:
He may very well have to call a professional, but had I previously known the humidistat had to be all the way to 'ON' (it was set to about 80% for at least a year with no problems)...I could have saved the cost of a service call.

It's a very quick, easy thing to check and do...and could potentially solve his issue.

Last edited by biker1; 05-05-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member

My guess is something is wrong. Maybe the unit is icing.
A safety switch could also be turning the system off and after the problem (maybe a backup of water) subsides lets the unit come back on.
Probably best to have a company do an "annual" maintenance check.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I believe the OP stated that the system could not meet the temperature set point. With a properly functioning system, whether the humidity control is enabled (or not) should not impact whether the temperature set point is met. There could be any of a number of things wrong with his system. Instead of speculating and fiddling around he should, IMO, get a professional in to take a look. Depending on what system he has (and if it actually does have humidistat functionality) he may need to go into the service menu to check on the status and change it. I believe most homeowners should avoid going into the service menus. I would guess that he hasn't had the system looked at in some time. Periodic checkups are a good idea.
LOL

There is no "fiddling" required...to simply turn the dial to 'ON.'

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 05-05-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:21 PM
Sage

Yes, good ideas. That fact that he stated the system doesn't meet the temperature set point (on some days) yet doesn't run all the time would suggest a fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
My guess is something is wrong. Maybe the unit is icing.
A safety switch could also be turning the system off and after the problem (maybe a backup of water) subsides lets the unit come back on.
Probably best to have a company do an "annual" maintenance check.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:22 PM
Sage

Sigh... You don't know what system the OP has and whether it requires going into a service menu (as does my 4 year old Carrier system), as I already stated. One more time, a properly functioning (and sized) system should still meet the temperature set point regardless of whether humidistat functionality is enabled (assuming it is even supported). The only advice the OP needs is stated in post #3.

Quote:
LOL

There is no "fiddling" required...to simply turn the dial to 'ON.'

Last edited by biker1; 05-05-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:33 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

The life expectancy of an a/c compressor depends on many factors from assembly line to the conditions it's unit is installed, average run time and continued care of unit. I've seen 2 condenser units with 2 continuous serial numbers and one had many problems while the other had no issues with both units having the same heat load conditions.
Closed Thread

Tags
compressor, temperature, long, windows, courtyard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.