How long should AC compressor last?

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2018, 05:55 AM

If you have a replacement thermostat that uses batteries you may need to replace them. Up in NEOhio our Comfortmaker Air Conditioner is still going after 25 years. Had to replace the furnace blower motor and belt 15 years ago.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:21 AM
Veteran member

I just had my entire system replaced after 12 years. Several freon leaks were causing the condensing coil to ice up. I went to Home Advisor and found John's A/C. 90 reviews with an average of 4.8 out of five stars. I requested Home Advisor contact them and someone called me back 10 minutes later. Jonathan came on Monday morning and checked my system and quoted me a great price compared with one I had received from a different company. It was installed on Tuesday and they even filled out all the paperwork I needed to get a $500.00 rebate from the gas co. They also filled out the warranty paperwoork (10 years), and arranged for the county inspector to check the installation. A bonus was they will be back in 6 months and one year to check the system for free.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:34 AM

$3,500 is ridiculously high. Average compressor replacement cost is $1700-$2500 depending on the unit size. If you need any advise, please feel free to message me. I am a semi retired hvac technician, owner of 2 companies for 34 years.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

My question is, I don't understand why TV don't put air condition units outside instead of Heat Pumps. Heat pumps like most say, last about 10 to 15 yrs. Air Condition units last a lot longer. Mine up north, & I know we only ran our air conditioning only 5 or 6 months up there a yr. & they would last 20+ yrs. I had one that lasted the 22 yrs. that we lived in one house & still worked when we moved. I guess the reason I'm asking this question is, it just doesn't seem like TV gives us the best buck for our money here. Any one out there that knows or works on Heat Pumps or Air Conditions? Like to get a professional answer not just someone that backing up TV, & please I'm not trying to be mean, just curious!
Old 05-07-2018, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
My question is, I don't understand why TV don't put air condition units outside instead of Heat Pumps. Heat pumps like most say, last about 10 to 15 yrs. Air Condition units last a lot longer. Mine up north, & I know we only ran our air conditioning only 5 or 6 months up there a yr. & they would last 20+ yrs. I had one that lasted the 22 yrs. that we lived in one house & still worked when we moved. I guess the reason I'm asking this question is, it just doesn't seem like TV gives us the best buck for our money here. Any one out there that knows or works on Heat Pumps or Air Conditions? Like to get a professional answer not just someone that backing up TV, & please I'm not trying to be mean, just curious!
In this climate, heat pumps are the best way to go if you want an all electric system. Most northern houses have a natural gas furnace and an electric air conditioner. They did not install natural gas to the newer homes, south of 466A and north of Fenney. Heat pumps are not very efficient when the weather gets very cold, so they are not installed very often in the north. But they are great for Florida. I believe they are installing natural gas to the Fenney neighborhoods, but I don't know if they are offering the option for a natural gas furnace. Personally, I like the all electric heat pump, water heater, and stove and don't mind at all that my house does not have natural gas.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:52 AM

Asianthree, I would like to know the name of the company the tried to rip you off for 12000 bucks.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Which ACE hardware? I went to Wildwood ACE and bought a 19x20x4 filter for $29.95 - a very competitive price. Where can I get the same filter for half that?
Well, apparently the Flanders 19 x 20 x 4 inch filter costs $30 at ACE Hardware, but the 16 x 20 x 4 inch one is only $15. Go figure. Sorry.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:23 AM

4 years ago I added on a large, all glass Florida room to my 3/2 Courtyard Villa. They wanted to put a mini split air conditioner hanging on the wall, to air condition the new room. That was about $4600.00.I didn't like the looks of that hanging on my wall. The units on my house had been installed and we're only about 8 years old and working correctly. I then priced replacing the entire house air and heat systems, I had to increase the size capacity to accommodate the new room. They replaced the air conditioner outside, the coils in the furnace and a brand new larger capacity furnace, and a new digital thermostat. The contractor had to pull new Ductwork the entire length of the house to the new room. 2 ducts,air in,& air return. 3 new duct boxes and grills, large return air box and Grill. All this came to $6,000 cash, out the door. And then I still got the rebates from the electric company and the gas company. Which if I remember right came to about seven or eight hundred dollars. So to recap I replaced everything in my house and added a new room all the ducting everything needed, labor material everything 6 grand, less the rebates. The contractor was Santos out of Wildwood. And all the new units came with the warranty as well.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
How long should the compressor last on a AC system?

My home almost never gets to the temperature that I set although (oddly) it doesn’t run constantly either.

The problem presents especially on hot days—no surprise.

The room temperature on the thermostat agrees with two other thermometers.

If it matters, 3/2 courtyard villa. Sun-facing windows have blinds and lanai has awning.

If I have to replace the compressor, what is a reasonable pirice?

TIA.
How long does air compressor pump last? Right after the warranty runs out! Is your CYV concrete or wood? IMO with heat in attic and concrete builds heat in afternoon. You A/C will have hard time keeping up or will run off and on every 15 or 20 mins till the sun goes down.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:43 AM

I concur with having Chuck Farrell's Air Conditioning & Heating (352-633-9364) take a look at your system. A friend of mine used to own/operate a HVAC/Heating company up North. He had Chuck Farrell's replace 4 systems for him in The Villages; was very impressed with their work and recommended them to me. I had them replace my entire system and they did excellent work at a reasonable price.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
In this climate, heat pumps are the best way to go if you want an all electric system. Most northern houses have a natural gas furnace and an electric air conditioner. They did not install natural gas to the newer homes, south of 466A and north of Fenney. Heat pumps are not very efficient when the weather gets very cold, so they are not installed very often in the north. But they are great for Florida. I believe they are installing natural gas to the Fenney neighborhoods, but I don't know if they are offering the option for a natural gas furnace. Personally, I like the all electric heat pump, water heater, and stove and don't mind at all that my house does not have natural gas.
Thanks for your input & it did make sense, I did have gas heat when I lived in the north & you're right people that had Heat Pumps in the north did say they only lasted about 15 yrs. if you're lucky, but they did say when it got to 0 or below 0 they didn't do a very good job & a good friend of mine did say it was cheaper to use. Thanks again for your input!
Old 05-17-2018, 03:20 PM
Gold member

Thank you to everyone for your replies. Still contemplating options.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Thank you to everyone for your replies. Still contemplating options.
Just curious...on a gloomy Sunday afternoon.

Have you had the chance to get someone check it out...and find out what the problem is/was?

And the cost for remedial action?
Closed Thread

Tags
compressor, temperature, long, windows, courtyard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.