How many of you are content to shop online?

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2013, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Other than food, I probably buy 90% of my stuff online. USPS, by the way has gotten much, much better.
The years ago I would have agreed with Golfingnut's assessment, but things have changed dramatically.
Years ago after USPS lost a shipment of mine and had no real tracking system I vowed never to used them again. Recently friends have convinced me to try them and they are now at least as good and maybe better than Fed-Ex and UPS.
I have no interest in "people watching" and I don't understand the pleasure one gets from going to a store. To me it is a necessary chore that I want to get over with as soon as possible.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:11 AM

People watching is a great pastime, and so far, TV has proven to be a "target rich environment."
Old 09-20-2013, 01:35 PM

I am also a fan of Amazon. I am a prime member and buy what I need from them.

I shop for clothes 2-3 times a year usually at Chicos (happy to see there is one in the Villages). And go to Target and a few
other stores a few times a year.

Except for groceries I like to stay out of the stores.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkshop View Post
On line shopping is the way to go! I HATE shopping get into a sweat when I have to go to a mall. LOL! Just wish women's clothes were more standard. Hubby can buy 34 shorts anywhere and is fine. So I do HAVE to shop to try on the stuff UGH
I would be happy if I never set foot in a store again
The online stores usually have "size charts" and measurements per size.
Ditto for petite lengths, etc. or plus sizes......many choices.

Often you actually get a much better fit, just by knowing your measurements as many garments are different in size, depending on the manufacturer.

What may be a size 12 in one store is NOT in another store.

I "hear you" re the mens sizes.

Mine is happy with anything from L.L.BEAN or LANDS END.
Luckily they all fit him.

My laundry will reduce greatly once we move to Florida.........
No socks. No long jeans or pants. No sweaters, jackets, etc. Very little will he wear........

If I keep him in the pool..........even less laundry....
Old 09-21-2013, 08:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

we shop about 80% online..may go to a mall once a year..but the golf store is different..you have to see it, feel it, and walk out with it
Old 09-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by susiejwill View Post
Last year we placed 164 Amazon orders, this year 92 so far. We live 25 miles from a mall, thus we have a Wal-Mart. Willing to drive the 25 for Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or Natural Grocers (except for meat and milk, which we get from local farmers). I'd rather shop garage sales than go to a mall.
You must be pretty rural.......to have to drive 25 miles for groceries ......

Our supermarkets are 3 miles away. Once upon a time, they were right in town....which made it convenient to run out and get an item or two.

Now, we do large shopping and stock up in pantry and freezers so we don't have to go that often........just to get weekly milk, eggs, etc. like you mention. Hubby just brought home huge tomatoes and cukes from our farmer's market.

Our daughter's closest supermarket is a 24 mile round trip, 12 each way, to go into Montpelier our state capital which only has a pop. of 10,000.

So, one is always "on the road" and "in the car" as they live in a very rural area. Now, our only grandson is in middle school which is at the high school in Montpelier so he has to walk down his 600 foot long dirt driveway to the dirt road to wait for the school bus which picks him up at 6 a.m. for a long long ride all over creation before he gets to school.........

They also do a lot of online shopping it is easier for people who live in rural areas.

That's how the old SEARS AND ROEBUCK catalogue as well as MONTGOMERY WARDS became so popular in the olden days.......

They delivered....I still remember our kids looking through the Sears "wish book" prior to Christmas time.

We also order a lot from amazon.com and have never been disappointed.
Keeps our FEDEX and UPS drivers employed........they don't mind.
Ditto for our mailmen who deliver some of the FEDEX stuff now.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Other than food, I probably buy 90% of my stuff online. USPS, by the way has gotten much, much better.
The years ago I would have agreed with Golfingnut's assessment, but things have changed dramatically.
Years ago after USPS lost a shipment of mine and had no real tracking system I vowed never to used them again. Recently friends have convinced me to try them and they are now at least as good and maybe better than Fed-Ex and UPS.
I have no interest in "people watching" and I don't understand the pleasure one gets from going to a store. To me it is a necessary chore that I want to get over with as soon as possible.
I totally agree with your last paragraph.....esp. the last sentence.
In and out.......when we actually have to go and not during busy time of day. We like to go early and be back home early.

In my book, shopping is a "chore" and not a pleasure.........
Old 09-21-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
While I do shop on line, I still need to go to stores for pleasure. When I want a new item I like to actually look at it. Besides returning on line is a pain what with having to bring stuff somewhere to ship.

I understand about the pain of returning stuff

Hint hint hint
If you buy online from Lands Ends ( clothing for men kids women) and you need to return, take the unused item to any Sears store and voilà, return solved. Great service. Lands End imhp has quality clothes .
I hope Sears does NOT go out of business!
Old 09-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbmb24101 View Post
I understand about the pain of returning stuff.
Zappos.com offers a great shoe-shopping experience with free shipping. They also provide free returns and a label with their address for your convenience. And they apologize to you, if you don't like something and want to return it. I'm a huge Zappos fan.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.