How many of you are content to shop online?

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2013, 05:14 AM
Sage
Default How many of you are content to shop online?

This may be a spinoff of the "mall" thread.......

How many of you are quite content to shop online and have FEDEX or UPS deliver your stuff????

This has been a trend up here for a very long time..........especially for those of us who are not fans of the big box stores.....

Online shopping is extremely popular among our peers ...........

For those of you who miss Macy's, and or Bloomingdale's, etc. they have great websites.....ditto for L.L. Bean and other sporty type garments.....they are all online.

Actually, once we were having some plumbing work done and our plumber brought over his friend, another plumber who happened to be from Ohio.

He had driven his wife to visit her Dad in Vermont........and the next day he drove his wife to Freeport Maine and back again to Vermont.......just so that they could shop at L.L. Bean........a store he loved. It's a huge store in Freeport and a lot of fun to browse............not a mall.

We always enjoy stopping in Freeport when we are passing through..........however, we do shop at L.L. BEAN online.
FedEx delivers in two days.....

Amazon.com , ditto, has lots of "stuff".......and is handy to use.

So, no need to drive to Orlando to shop..........all of the major stores are ONLINE.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
This may be a spinoff of the "mall" thread.......

How many of you are quite content to shop online and have FEDEX or UPS deliver your stuff????

This has been a trend up here for a very long time..........especially for those of us who are not fans of the big box stores.....

Online shopping is extremely popular among our peers ...........

For those of you who miss Macy's, and or Bloomingdale's, etc. they have great websites.....ditto for L.L. Bean and other sporty type garments.....they are all online.

Actually, once we were having some plumbing work done and our plumber brought over his friend, another plumber who happened to be from Ohio.

He had driven his wife to visit her Dad in Vermont........and the next day he drove his wife to Freeport Maine and back again to Vermont.......just so that they could shop at L.L. Bean........a store he loved. It's a huge store in Freeport and a lot of fun to browse............not a mall.

We always enjoy stopping in Freeport when we are passing through..........however, we do shop at L.L. BEAN online.
FedEx delivers in two days.....

Amazon.com , ditto, has lots of "stuff".......and is handy to use.

So, no need to drive to Orlando to shop..........all of the major stores are ONLINE.
Ups and fedex are OK but USPS has problems.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:46 AM

I have been an online and mall shopper for years and have managed to do without an Orlando size mall since moving to the Villges almost 2 years ago. That said, while back in Maryland last week, I went to the Macy's near my daughters house and I literally stopped as I walked in, and said to myself . . . Wow I sure did miss place!!

Everything is so beautiful to look at and new products just pop out at you.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Shopping for women and men is different. We knew that. Women shop to see trends and what is new and fashionable. Men shop to get what they want, the best quality for the best price and see new products.

Women shop for recreation and men shop for necessity...sometimes, not always.

At this time if I am looking for something to buy, I let my fingers do the walking on my computer to see what is available and what the price range is.

For instance if I need a lamp, I will shop on line to see what is available and refresh to myself who are the best manufacturers and best places to buy it, comparison shop a little. Then go out to the available stores nearby and see what they have. Lowes and Home Depot have available catalogs from the manufacturers and you can order from them and they extend then the ability to return it to them if you don't like it.

I will then go to Ocala and Orlando if I can't find what I want and usually end up buying something I can see.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:05 AM
Gold member

We do most all our shopping online, last year I didn't step foot in a single store to complete my Christmas shopping! Also subscribe to Amazon Prime, so for about 80 bucks a year, we get access to the on demand video library and FREE shipping! Pays for itself in about the first 90 days. I realize some people are very cautious about using a credit card online, but we have never had a problem with either purchases or returns. You just have to be a little smart about the sites you order from.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 09-20-2013, 06:09 AM

I do enjoy shopping online.
Recently I ordered a breadmaker and an apple peeler from Walmart and picked them up at the local store with no shipping fee.
I order clothes from Blair in Warren, Pa and pay no sales tax.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I'm an online shopper. Most of the companies I do business with offer free shipping and free returns. I absolutely HATE crowds of people, pushing and shoving, loud music - so online for me.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-20-2013, 06:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
We do most all our shopping online, last year I didn't step foot in a single store to complete my Christmas shopping! Also subscribe to Amazon Prime, so for about 80 bucks a year, we get access to the on demand video library and FREE shipping! Pays for itself in about the first 90 days. I realize some people are very cautious about using a credit card online, but we have never had a problem with either purchases or returns. You just have to be a little smart about the sites you order from.
Great minds think alike. We both love amazon for all the reasons you mention above. One year we bought everyone in the family the Kindle Fire as it was just out and we had just returned from THE VILLAGES. So, after unpacking, etc.........no desire to hoof it through stores shopping.
Amazon gift wrapped and mailed it to everyone's home. They all still love that gift.

Some of our grandchildren have outgrown the toy stage, so for them an amazon gift card is very much appreciated........and it now comes in a very attractive presentation........for the littlest ones, I still enjoy shopping for toys and dolls and have found some great online shops......as our town does not even have a toy store.

The only thing I wouldn't buy online is furniture , but we have a great store right in our town.........they are the ones doing our carpeting as well.

We rarely leave our town.........except to go on vacation. We don't have to leave it........and wouldn't leave it just to shop.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:39 AM
Platinum member

I do both. I like to actually put my hands on an object and look it over before I purchase. However, some times you just can't find what you are looking for in a local "brick and mortar" facility. I have also had to return items that were ordered on line because they were just not exactly as expected.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 09-20-2013, 06:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Shopping for women and men is different. We knew that. Women shop to see trends and what is new and fashionable. Men shop to get what they want, the best quality for the best price and see new products.

Women shop for recreation and men shop for necessity...sometimes, not always.

At this time if I am looking for something to buy, I let my fingers do the walking on my computer to see what is available and what the price range is.

For instance if I need a lamp, I will shop on line to see what is available and refresh to myself who are the best manufacturers and best places to buy it, comparison shop a little. Then go out to the available stores nearby and see what they have. Lowes and Home Depot have available catalogs from the manufacturers and you can order from them and they extend then the ability to return it to them if you don't like it.

I will then go to Ocala and Orlando if I can't find what I want and usually end up buying something I can see.
We do have a Home Depot in our small town. We try to avoid it.

When they first came to town, everyone was thrilled......we don't have a Lowe's so H.D. was the next best thing........well, let me tell you, after a few home projects several years back, when they lost our Jacuzzi whirlpool tub, lost our bathroom mirrors, our toilets, etc. and so on.......and then everyone would call or stop by the house and tell me "I am the manager".
Go figure.

All of the twenty something year old "kids" were the manager. They would state that they would hunt down our missing stuff...........well, what a fiasco. Glad when those projects were over. We went back to our little homegrown store........and now just let our contractor buy the "stuff" .....

I've never shopped for recreation. Maybe when we were in our teens.
But after getting married, and realizing my new husband did not like to shop, I just shopped alone........then with the children........but since the invention of the internet...........so much easier. I shop by brands and have never been disappointed yet.

Williams Sonoma, The Pottery Barn, lots of the fun kind of stores are online. Too numerous to mention here.

Macy's and Bloomies has adorable baby clothes and toddler clothes.

DITTO FOR "BABY GAP".............adorable.

They gift wrap and ship.........so it makes it very easy on us.

Amazon.com I get free shipping............no tax. I never pay tax online.

ORVIS.COM.........nice New England styled clothing. Vermont and Virginia.

The adolescent age grandchildren still like the L.L. Bean KIDS CLOTHES.

Our one teenaged grand daughter was always happy shopping the J.C.Penney sales with a gift card......
She could really stretch the money and had fun modeling the clothes for us here at our place.
They don't have a JCPenney up where they live.

Talbots, The Tog Shop, Appleseeds, etc........so many.

But I'd say that AMAZON.COM is my favorite........they keep all of your information and it's a no brainer to just go and order whatever it is you need, as they have it all..........even just got a new book onto my Kindle.
Dryer dinging, so time to carry the laundry upstairs to fold and hang......

MELISSA AND DOUG have great toys and games, puzzles........wooden stuff which young parents today love.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:48 AM

On line shopping is the way to go! I HATE shopping get into a sweat when I have to go to a mall. LOL! Just wish women's clothes were more standard. Hubby can buy 34 shorts anywhere and is fine. So I do HAVE to shop to try on the stuff UGH
I would be happy if I never set foot in a store again
Old 09-20-2013, 07:00 AM

Last year we placed 164 Amazon orders, this year 92 so far. We live 25 miles from a mall, thus we have a Wal-Mart. Willing to drive the 25 for Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or Natural Grocers (except for meat and milk, which we get from local farmers). I'd rather shop garage sales than go to a mall.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:05 AM
Platinum member

While I do shop on line, I still need to go to stores for pleasure. When I want a new item I like to actually look at it. Besides returning on line is a pain what with having to bring stuff somewhere to ship.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We are about to get a new mail box here in TV because of the of catagolues we get weekly. When we go away for 1-2- weeks, we get3-4 BIG boxes of mail. Neighbors think we are a FEDEX drop point.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:20 AM

Online is great but lacks the critical "people watching" element of hands on shopping.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.