How much time is needed between setting tile and grouting?

Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2018, 09:26 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default How much time is needed between setting tile and grouting?

We are replacing our kitchen backsplash with a different style.

The demolition is done.

The wall is ready to go.

We are thinking at least 24 hours, maybe 48, between setting the tile with thinset and grouting.

We will be away for a few days later this week. Might it be best to set now and grout when we return?

I figured while I am sitting here reading fascinating articles about grout, I would ask TOTVers because a lot of you know stuff.

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:58 AM

I think you will be best in reading the container of the thin set, however remember that thin set, like concrete, does not dry when it cures. It is a chemical reaction with the water that builds the strength. Temperature can make the chemical reaction happen faster, however water is needed IN the reaction. What I am getting to is, do not try to dry the thin set.

Back to your question: If you are leaving for a couple days, I would wait that time. Remember to remove ALL your spacers and REALLY work I your grout on a diagonal to you tile. Take your time and really force those lines full of grout. It can be a workout, but doing it yourself is both a $ saver and very rewarding. GOOD LUCK !
Old 09-02-2018, 10:02 AM

You might want to use a Mastic instead of Thinset.Ck it out.

Last edited by papasetti82; 09-03-2018 at 08:53 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 09-02-2018, 10:13 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Usually 24 hours is plenty for most thin set. In a kitchen I would also consider epoxy grout. Harder to work with, but much longer lasting.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,149 Times in 2,248 Posts

My stepson sets tile, and I recall him mentioning there is an additive that you can use when you mix the grout that will seal it, wish i could remember the name. I think it is a liquid and you use it instead of the water. Also I agree with above, wait at least 24 hours, that is what he does.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:36 AM
Sage

There are several additives replacing the water for grout. There is Stain Blocker, Grout Boost, Grout Maximizer and many others. I have only tried one and don't recall which one (sold at HD) but was not exactly what I expected.

The epoxy grout comes pre mixed, has to used in small amounts as it drys quickly, but once done becomes almost impervious to staining. Never cracks or chips out of the seam and lasts forever. I have a kitchen back splash I did in a home when the product first came out about 20 years ago and the last time I saw it still looked new. Also did a shower with it and that still looks new. Costs a bit more, harder to smooth and clean as installed, but once done the results are worth it.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:33 AM
Soaring Parsley

Thank you to all. I knew I would find helpful, experienced advice here.

The tile is glazed porcelain. Last night I got up in the middle of the night, wondering about sealing, so I got a couple of tiles from the box, and sprinkled water on them. The water beaded up. I went back to bed. This morning the water had totally evaporated, leaving no spots behind. (Seems like a good sign. Am I right?)

We have had lots of houses. We learned to do tile (well, Mr. Boomer did) in our second house when the shower wall caved in. (Don’t ask.) That was when we saw that greenboard had been used. We were young and on a really, tight budget. But we bought cement board, started over, and were so happy we could use the old tile again. It was so long ago that tile was gold and the other bathroom’s tile was blue. That caved-in tile was the same color as all the bathroom fixtures so not only did we save money when we salvaged it, we still had a perfect match.

Next house we gutted a bathroom and did the tile ourselves. (I am pretending I did the tile work, but actually I am just the go-fer.)

We built house #4 and had a tile guy do that work. It was in the days of tile countertops and I think we had them use that epoxy grout l2ridehd mentioned. I remember it was what kept stuff from permeating the grout which was what was needed for those kitchen counters of white 4X4 tile.

Well, enough about the History of Tile in the Boomer Houses. I sound like Cliff Clavin. Actually, I am stalling by sitting here writing to you when I have to get back to my go-fer job. I almost got fired yesterday, but that’s another story.

It has been a lot of years since we have done a tile job ourselves. But the kitchen backsplash is a small job and we decided it would be less aggravation to just do it — so here we are — reliving our youth as DIYers.

Thank you and any other hints are most welcome.

Last edited by Boomer; 09-03-2018 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-03-2018, 09:02 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

The longer the better.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:03 AM
Soaring Parsley

I just learned a new word for making sure the thinset is exactly the right consistency. — “slaking”

I know to mix small batches and to wait 10 minutes or so.

And I know it has to be just right.

But I need a comparison for the right thickness.

(Remember, I confessed to being that t-crosser and i-dotter who got up in the middle of the night and sprinkled water on a couple of tiles to see if they are, for sure, glazed porcelain — like the box says. Geez.)

Anyway, when slaking the thinset, do I want the thickness of mayonnaise? Cake batter? What? Help?

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:14 PM
Sage

Slightly thicker then mayo or cake batter. If you take a tile trowel and put thin set on it, you should be able to hold it with thin set down and it may slump, but not drip off.

Also make sure you have a "Wonder Trowel" actually called a mason trowel. Makes tile work so much easier.

I also have a 10 inch tile saw if you need to borrow one.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:00 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Slightly thicker then mayo or cake batter. If you take a tile trowel and put thin set on it, you should be able to hold it with thin set down and it may slump, but not drip off.

Also make sure you have a "Wonder Trowel" actually called a mason trowel. Makes tile work so much easier.

I also have a 10 inch tile saw if you need to borrow one.

That is so kind of you to offer your saw. But we are in the “other” house right now.

We borrowed a friend’s saw and we were just now laughing because the last person who borrowed that saw was our friend’s son-in-law. The saw was really dirty. Mr. Boomer brought it home and gave it a good cleaning. And, of course, he will return it clean — well, as clean as a tile saw can get, anyway.

The reason we were laughing is because we were thinking about when Mr. Boomer kept a “loaner drill” that was the only one our son-in-law got to borrow. Now, the SIL does much better, after being under Mr. Boomer’s instruction with a few projects, and he has his own tools. Sons-in-law do grow up.

Back to consistency. So peanut butter it is, sort of.

If I tell Mr. B. about the “Wonder Trowel” he might flee to Lowe’s and he is kind of on a roll right now. He has a couple kinds of trowels. Yep. It sure is Labor Day at the Boomer house.

Thanks, l2ridehd.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:39 AM
Sage

Probably somewhere between mayo and peanut butter. Another good test is once you put thin set on the tile and put the tile in place, you should still be able to move the tile but with some effort. And doing it on a wall, you have to put the spacers in or it will very slowly slip down to fill the gap.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

To much water is the enemy here and with concrete. You did an excellent job of describing the situation there Mrs. Cliff. My vote and past practice is around 24 hours would be fine unless the adhesive was too soupy. I'm sure it will come out fine, so for your next kitchen remodeling job call Mr. & Mrs. Boomer Inc.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:35 AM

No need to use thinset for backsplash. Just get a tube of liquid nails or similar adhesive and run two strips or zigzag on back, don't let it near edge. This is s a backsplash, not a shower, no water saturation. Then grout as usual. I use redimix, very easy. Have been doing this for years, even tiled over tile no problem.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:44 AM
Soaring Parsley

Good morning. And thanks everybody.

The first wall was set yesterday afternoon. Spacers for sure. Spacers used (and removed later when the time was right.) Mr. Boomer said the last time he did tile (5 houses ago) the spacers were hard plastic. These are better.

I tiptoed into the kitchen this morning. The tile is still where we left it. YAY!

(Hi, Nucky. Oh my, yes! You picked up on my Cliff reference. Cliff is my favorite Cheers character, going on and on. I always think about him when I launch into some tale. I could go on and on —and on, about all the projects we have taken on over the years.)

When we were young, we looked for houses that were in good shape but needed some updating. Now, in the Era of HGTV, we see those whippersnappers on “House Hunters,” whining, if a house is not to their perfect liking.

This little project we are doing now is kind of fun — so far.

Last edited by Boomer; 09-04-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
grout, grouting, tile, setting, figured

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.