How Old Are Your Tires?

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2021, 05:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

The “life” of tires is suggested to be 7 years by the DOT, regardless of use. Exposure to heat and particularly sun will shorten tire life from that. I had to replace the tires on my wife’s car after 5 years, even though they had only been driven 1,800 miles. It’s easy to figure out when you need new ones. The rubber in the sidewalls begins to dry rot—dry, crack and even fall off exposing the fabric base. And you’ll hear an odd sound as you’re driving—the cracking and pieces of rubber rubbing together.

Last edited by Villages Kahuna; 08-17-2021 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-17-2021, 05:36 AM
Veteran member

NJ was terrible, waited hours and still thousands of idiot car accidents.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:41 AM
Veteran member

I don’t think any “New” car dealer would bother , the ones to be careful of individuals that buy repo’s and buy used tires from used tire dealers ,or individuals that buy used to sell the car. A good point check all four tires they should all be same brand and size, if not beware.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:59 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

I bought my'99 Miata new. Now has 46,000 miles, lives in my garage on an oriental rug. Just put my 2nd set of tires last year. Safety is the reason. Old age!
Old 08-17-2021, 07:14 AM
Send a message via ICQ to gemini5001 Send a message via AIM to gemini5001

I used to be a state inspection mechanic in Pa.
You wouldn't believe the hazardous conditions we'd find on some of the cars.
Pennsylvania used to have it twice a year before going to once a year.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:47 AM

Lived in MD for 12 years. If I recall, every other year, we had to take our car to a state inspection site. Checked the brakes, exhaust and a visual inspection on tires, wipers, windshield, etc. They weren't selling anything.

I purchased my daughter-in-law's used car. Had to take it to be inspected, and found out it had failed inspection earlier the previous year. She had failed to respond to several letters from the state and there now was an arrest warrant out for her. She was floored when I told her to report to the police station. My son just grinned when I told him what his bride had done, or not done. BTW, she also paid the $475 fine that was outstanding. I had no intention of covering that cost. Parents can only be expected to do so much for their kids.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:14 AM

Comrade …. Your daughter in law will be going to Siberia …. She has failed to rotate her tires……
Old 08-17-2021, 08:15 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,193 Times in 761 Posts

Only honest people go to car inspections, and maintain their vehicles. The creeps you describe will never bring that roach trap of a car to an inspection.
In my old state, just in my neighborhood, I would count at least 9 cars that were years overdue for inspection. It's just a money maker for dishonest businesses. No thanks to Florida ever having inspections.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:43 AM
Default Thank you.

I went out immediately and checked my tires. I have a very old car, but I had no idea how old the tires are.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

When compulsory testing was introduced in UK in 1960 the cost of a test was 15 shillings, which less than $1 today.
Our local testing garage charged 15 shilling if you took the car in to be tested, or one pound ($1.40) if you didn't!

Today the test is about $75 per year, and it is strict.
If you miss test, it shows online, and your car will 'ping' passing traffic cops.
Insurance is invalid without a certificate of passing test, and if car is impounded and fine not paid, it's scrapped.
Not many old bangers on the road these days!

Last edited by Two Bills; 08-17-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

This is one of the great things about this forum. I learn new things all the time.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,795 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
One of the reasons I seriously wished FL had annual car inspections....I pulled into Colony shopping center the other day next to a guy who's 10+yr old roach trap of a hot mess car smelled to high heaven of pot....but the dry rot on his tires side was GLARING! I almost suggested he take a few of those roach clip dollars and put them into replacing his tires. Scares ya when you are on the turnpike realizing there is no-one requiring an annual inspection for safety issues of the cars driving beside you at 70+ MPH.
Have to say I’m impressed you’re familiar as to how pot smells and readily know the jargon. I wouldn’t know the smell or what a roach clip was if I came across that scenario.

Back to the subject at hand, tires last much longer in the cooler climates, thankfully.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:44 AM
Bella6368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
One of the reasons I seriously wished FL had annual car inspections....I pulled into Colony shopping center the other day next to a guy who's 10+yr old roach trap of a hot mess car smelled to high heaven of pot....but the dry rot on his tires side was GLARING! I almost suggested he take a few of those roach clip dollars and put them into replacing his tires. Scares ya when you are on the turnpike realizing there is no-one requiring an annual inspection for safety issues of the cars driving beside you at 70+ MPH.
Coming from NY, I can tell you that car inspections are just another form of a TAX for the state, and most of the time are unnecessary. So tell me again why you would want another tax? Do you have a desire to turn FL into a highly overtaxed state like NY? I mean think about it?
Old 08-17-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Have to say I’m impressed you’re familiar as to how pot smells and readily know the jargon. I wouldn’t know the smell or what a roach clip was if I came across that scenario.

Back to the subject at hand, tires last much longer in the cooler climates, thankfully.
Thanks! Wish it was just that I was super hip....but truth be known anyone that spent 30 yrs in the medical community is way too familiar with both. There is little a old nurse or doc has not experienced at one point in their career or another....
Old 08-17-2021, 01:06 PM

Not at all...however I DO wish I could be a little more assured when I get outside the bubble and head out on the FL Turnpike that the idiot next to me does not pop an aging/dry rotted and create an accident going 70+ MPH. Been there, done that...did not end up well (for me anyway)....some lawyer can get you compensated....but trust me, there is nothing they can fill in that check for that beats being able to walk.
Closed Thread

Tags
tires, car, tire, week, number

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.