How tall is a 6-foot ladder? Answers here!

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2019, 02:03 PM
Default How tall is a 6-foot ladder? Answers here!

Not being a wise guy here!

We have taller ceilings than I am used to. I went out and got a 6-foot ladder to work inside our house and inside our entryway. Well, guess what!?! A six-foot ladder is not all that it is suppose to be!

Here are the “acceptable highest standing heights”* for the different ladders I have measured:

5-foot ladder: 2 feet, 10 inches
6-foot ladder: 3 feet, 10 inches
8-foot ladder: 5 feet, 9 inches

So, use the info above, add your height and add a little bit more for reaching with your arms. I found that after bringing home my 6 foot ladder, I am able to change /clean lights in my house. However, I need to borrow my neighbors’ 8 foot ladder to clean my entryway light and if I wanted to change that fixture I would probably need to buy a 10 foot ladder!! ... or hire it out.

By the way, for storing ladders, use the fact plate info (an 8 foot ladder needs 8 feet of space).

This is all based upon a regular freestanding folding ladder, not extension ladders, that one leans against a wall.

* - these are indicated on the ladder as the highest rung on which the manufacturer recommends you use. Going higher has an unacceptable elevated risk of tipping.

Hope this helps. Be safe out there!
Old 10-24-2019, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,740 Posts

I was looking to see if this was on the fun thread. We got a ladder stored beside the house, came with it, rusted.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Your figures are correct. But, I'm pretty safe, and I have never seen anyone who pays any attention to the sign on the ladder that tells you not to stand on the rung that is the one below the top of the ladder. So, most people will stand about 5 feet above the floor on a 6-foot ladder. And, contractors will stand on the top of the ladder. I understand that ladder manufacturers are sued more than any other company. So, I think the warning labels on ladders are probably written by high paid lawyers.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If you really want a safe ladder, google "Little Giant Ladders". Can't be beat.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 10-24-2019, 04:55 PM
Platinum member

Here is the gist of a totally true, personal story I posted a while ago in the Nothing Thread:

Many, many years ago (in between husbands) I decided to build a closet in my bachelorette apartment bedroom. It was a simple design that basically involved constructing 4 sliding doors across the room - just frames with rice paper -- basically Japanese style.

I thought I did a great job. However there was a gap when the doors were closed. I could not figure out why. For months it bothered me and I would measure, re-measure and check my math. Always worked out perfectly -- yet still a gap! So frustrating.

Finally, in a fit one evening, (and aided and abetted by a bottle of Merlot) I decided this was not going to get the better of me and I measured every last portion of this closet -- INCLUDING each piece of wood.

It was then I learned this sorry, testosterone-laden fact. A 1" x 2" piece of wood does not measure 1 inch x 2 inches. Same for a 2 x 4, etc. etc. I was shocked. The next time I was at the lumberyard/hardware store I complained to the clerk. His answer was "Look lady, everyone knows those are the measurements at the mill before the wood is cut down."

Conclusion #1: I should have built the closet at the mill.

Conclusion #2: Make sure you always check measurements even when you buy a 12" ruler - since you never know.

Conclusion #3: If you ask a man "what color was George Washington's white horse" don't be surprised if you get a different answer.

So I am totally unsurprised about the ladder!
Old 10-24-2019, 04:58 PM
Platinum member

Also -- remember when Subway was sued because their foot-long sandwich didn't measure up?
Old 10-24-2019, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,740 Posts

BK, you’re killing me!
Old 10-24-2019, 05:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Your figures are correct. But, I'm pretty safe, and I have never seen anyone who pays any attention to the sign on the ladder that tells you not to stand on the rung that is the one below the top of the ladder. So, most people will stand about 5 feet above the floor on a 6-foot ladder. And, contractors will stand on the top of the ladder. I understand that ladder manufacturers are sued more than any other company. So, I think the warning labels on ladders are probably written by high paid lawyers.
Well, I get my money worth. I stand on the top step between the screwdrivers and pliers I have stuck in the holes provided.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:18 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
BK, you’re killing me!
Then I've done my job.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
If you really want a safe ladder, google "Little Giant Ladders". Can't be beat.
The only safe ladder comes with cage around it, safety rope, and nice soft landing pad. O, and football helmet.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:36 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
The only safe ladder comes with cage around it, safety rope, and nice soft landing pad. O, and football helmet.
OSHA standards
Steve
Old 10-24-2019, 05:42 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	81430  
Old 10-24-2019, 08:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Here is the gist of a totally true, personal story I posted a while ago in the Nothing Thread:

Many, many years ago (in between husbands) I decided to build a closet in my bachelorette apartment bedroom. It was a simple design that basically involved constructing 4 sliding doors across the room - just frames with rice paper -- basically Japanese style.

I thought I did a great job. However there was a gap when the doors were closed. I could not figure out why. For months it bothered me and I would measure, re-measure and check my math. Always worked out perfectly -- yet still a gap! So frustrating.

Finally, in a fit one evening, (and aided and abetted by a bottle of Merlot) I decided this was not going to get the better of me and I measured every last portion of this closet -- INCLUDING each piece of wood.

It was then I learned this sorry, testosterone-laden fact. A 1" x 2" piece of wood does not measure 1 inch x 2 inches. Same for a 2 x 4, etc. etc. I was shocked. The next time I was at the lumberyard/hardware store I complained to the clerk. His answer was "Look lady, everyone knows those are the measurements at the mill before the wood is cut down."

Conclusion #2: Make sure you always check measurements even when you buy a 12" ruler - since you never know.

Conclusion #3: If you ask a man "what color was George Washington's white horse" don't be surprised if you get a different answer.

I loved that story, and can see it happening, I learned early on the about 'dimensional' lumber, but got caught recently when I bought some shelving lumber at Lowe's only ONE of the 3 listed dimensions was actually true.....the LENGTH, both the thicknees and the width were NOT the listed size.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post

Reminds me of when we went metric in the UK. I measured up a job in feet an inches, went to the lumber yard and placed order.
"All timber size orders got to be metric now mate" said yardman.
Spent about 10 minutes with my rule converting 4"x2," "2x2," "6x1, etc etc all to metric, finally I gave the sheet to the yard man to cut for me.
"How many feet do want" he asked, "our length cutter still ony works in feet and inches!"
Old 10-25-2019, 06:56 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

All kidding aside, the OP raises a pretty serious safety issue. Nearly 20 years ago I got out my 11 foot Werner fiberglass step ladder in attempt to unclog one of my "low" hanging gutters. I'm 6 foot, and while I was smart enough not to step on the top of the ladder, i used the next to top and used the gutter to tip toe to peer over the gutter. I was not smart enough to have someone below stabilizing / holding the ladder, and i kicked it to the ground. I remember that OH S**T moment vividly, as I was incredibly lucky not to have broken anything in the fall . That was when I had normal balance, which we must admit gets worse with age. Be thankful for the invention of LED lights. If your home doesnt have them in your cans, forget the cost and consider hiring someone to do a replace ALL the next time a high bulb blows out. Beats the heck out of a broken arm or leg from a fall.
Closed Thread

Tags
ladder, foot, feet, ladders, 6-foot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.