How is vaccine efficacy determined?

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2020, 10:12 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
What you are describing with the 50% receiving a placebo is a blind study that is used for a different purpose.
In this case they only want to know if it is effective or not and to what percentage it is efficacious.
So they would use known infected individuals and introduce the vaccine or healthy people then give them the pathogen and the vaccine. Right now they say over 90% effective so it resolved the ailment in over 9 of 10 participants.

There were some participants that died after receiving the vaccine, I am not sure where they would fall in the numbers, but then they don’t want to tell you about them.
Of course people died after receiving the vaccine. There were 30,000 people in at least one of the trials, with 15,000 getting the vaccine and 15,000 getting a placebo. In a population of 30,000 people, of all ages, ethnicity, health condition, etc., some people will die. Some will die after drinking milk for breakfast. Did the milk kill them? No. They could have died not necessarily from a vaccine, but just from normal living. Your comment makes it seem like "they" are hiding something. Balderdash. An American corporation could never survive such dishonesty. People who cast dispersion of unfounded suspicion only play into people's fears.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:19 AM
Sage

That is not what happened with the vaccine trial. They did not start with infected people. They did not introduce the virus to healthy people. There is no "resolving the ailment" because the vaccine is not a therapeutic.

Quote:
What you are describing with the 50% receiving a placebo is a blind study that is used for a different purpose.
In this case they only want to know if it is effective or not and to what percentage it is efficacious.
So they would use known infected individuals and introduce the vaccine or healthy people then give them the pathogen and the vaccine. Right now they say over 90% effective so it resolved the ailment in over 9 of 10 participants.

There were some participants that died after receiving the vaccine, I am not sure where they would fall in the numbers, but then they don’t want to tell you about them.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:57 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

Not me!
Old 11-22-2020, 11:18 AM

I just started a Covid vaccine trial this week. We were not given instructions regarding masks, etc. I believe we are expected to use common sense and go about our daily lives. Your line of thought sounds like you think we should be kept away from the public, which I don’t understand. If I had the vaccine (not the placebo) it seems to me that it would be safer to be around me rather than someone who who hasn’t had a vaccination.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I have one question as to how the Covid vaccine efficacy is determined. From what I understand, people who participate in the vaccine trials are either vaccinated with the actual vaccine or are vaccinated with a placebo. Then, all of people who participate in the trial go out into the community to "live their lives normally".

Now the question.......are those people in the trial wearing masks and social distancing or are these people in the trials not wearing masks and social distancing? Even if the trial people do NOT follow guidelines, people around them in the community may be following guidelines and wearing masks and social distancing.

I hope you are following my train of thoughts here. Bottom line......just how is the efficacy of a vaccine determined if masking and social distancing are being practiced by those involved in the trial and by the community they are exposed to?
They don’t know ! Just making money off of vaccine without substantial testing ! It’s a joke
Old 11-22-2020, 11:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,252 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Guess we all just needto wait until the vaccines are approved and more info comes out. Riight now, when a vaccine is approved it will only be available to nursing homes, hospitals etc. Regular people cant have it until around 6 mos after its approved
I'm not a regular person.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,644 Times in 1,515 Posts

There have been no reported deaths related to the vaccine trials. Where did that come from?
And who said it was going to be six months before "we" get our vaccinations?
What's with all the "misinformation" being spread as fact?
Old 11-22-2020, 11:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,252 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
How did you decide in the past??? You probably didn't.
That's true but Covid has changed everything.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Regarding the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, the cold storage requirements for shipping and end use are apparently not as extreme as longer term storage. Reference was made to this on a recent press conference at the White House. It appears that Pfizer/BioNTech have shipping containers that use dry ice and the vaccine can be maintained for a week or more with dry ice. Also, once thawed, the vaccine is apparently usable for up to 5 days. Needless to say, the essentially "just in time delivery" nature of this vaccine complicates the logistics but it doesn't sound as if new refrigeration equipment will be needed at every end use location.
It is also likely Pfizer is stability testing in parallel various conditions that may ease the requirements. Launch what they know is stable first.

Moderna has been testing RNA vaccines longer so likely have more long term experience/data.

Last edited by Altavia; 11-22-2020 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:02 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
That's true but Covid has changed everything.
Not much has changed..........historically there have been multi-producers. As in the past, this will be a push supply chain rather than a pull supply chain. The needlers will get what they get rather than ordering. The needle'ees don't have enough information (or brain power) to judge which med is better.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,354 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:

Where do people get this stuff from?
Old 11-22-2020, 12:30 PM

We are participating in the Oxford covid trial.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:00 PM

If Zeke Emanuel gets his way, those of us 70 and older will be last in line.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbellew View Post
We are participating in the Oxford covid trial.
I cannot, CANNOT, thank you enough. I think I remember reading this from you before and I think I also recall that you may be retired medical. I am guessing an M.D.

I am so grateful for your gift of high intelligence and the decision to train it further and the courage to go to work every day dealing with many very challenging and impossible situations. Thank you for taking this risk.

No. I see this is your first post. I still thank you so very much.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
There have been no reported deaths related to the vaccine trials. Where did that come from?
And who said it was going to be six months before "we" get our vaccinations?
What's with all the "misinformation" being spread as fact?
Misinformation spread as facts is frustrating and dangerous, isn't it ?
Closed Thread

Tags
people, distancing, vaccine, trial, social

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.